Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flashing HighBeam by accident when trying to start autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else flash their HighBeam, frequently, by accident when trying to engage the autopilot? The location of the autopilot lever, directly bellow the HighBeam lever, is, I think, annoying.

No, sorry, the stalks look and feel different. One is stubby (AP), the other full length and positioned opposite to the gear selector for AP Model S vehicles (non-AP have the gear selector and lights stalks switched but I've never encountered that config).

I've had other issues but not that one due to the look and feel differences. If you use auto-brights, I think you can avoid this problem.

Does anyone else flash their HighBeam, frequently, by accident when trying to engage the autopilot? The location of the autopilot lever, directly bellow the HighBeam lever, is, I think, annoying.

It's been a couple of months since I flashed someone instead of activating AP. So I guess it took me 4 months to learn which lever to instinctually grab.

The levers (the same ones Mercedes uses) are now in the same position as they always have been in a Mercedes (i.e. AP/TACC lever below lights lever). From 2012 to 2015, Tesla mounted them "the other way round". Anyone having traded in a 2013 MS for a 2016 MS undoubtedly had a few weeks where other drivers would think they were aggressive macho's (whereas they were only trying to engage TACC :))

The levers (the same ones Mercedes uses) are now in the same position as they always have been in a Mercedes (i.e. AP/TACC lever below lights lever). From 2012 to 2015, Tesla mounted them "the other way round". Anyone having traded in a 2013 MS for a 2016 MS undoubtedly had a few weeks where other drivers would think they were aggressive macho's (whereas they were only trying to engage TACC :))

Yep. My 2013 S that I traded in on my 2018 X are opposite. You know what? I thought it was weird when I bought my S but got used to it and think I actually prefer the turn signal stalk lower like it was on the earlier cars.

That's okay, I think I have you all beat: I accidentally tried to put the car in Park while on AP going 70 mph. It was my first road trip with my, then, new Tesla and I was trying to change lanes to the left. AP and TACC both disengaged, but no other harm came from it. I would not suggest trying it, despite nothing bad happening. I felt like a dotard. :rolleyes:

That's okay, I think I have you all beat: I accidentally tried to put the car in Park while on AP going 70 mph.

I was actually quite worried about that when I first got my 2013 S because the shifter stalk was in the exact same place as the windshield wiper stalk was on my last car, and you pressed the end of that stalk to give the washers a little squirt which I have to do regularly in the wintertime on salt covered roads. It turns out I never had that problem.

I have done it. I just wave at the driver I flashed.

Worse, and much more dangerous, are the times I have Resumed TACC (often set to 75 mph) when I intended to use the turn signal going into a parking lot entrance.. Very terrifying in my MS75D, I can't imagine it in a P100D.

I sometimes flash, instead of activating TACC or indicate left or right, instead of adjusting the speed. However, my biggest problem of late has been when I travel abroad on business and use rental cars: I keep walking away from rental cars with the keys in the ignition and the doors unlocked.

• Funny
Reactions: r0xx0r