Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flashing red light on charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have any solar (or other micro generation such as batteries) PV close by that could be pushing the voltage up. Solar/Microgeneration inverters should cut out at around 253v (230v -5/+10%). If that is being exceeded, then DNO may be able to help. If you are more rural there are other factors that my push the grid voltage out of spec, such as transformers being adjusted.

We have microgeneration (so we are part contributing to the voltage) and we are currently sitting at around 251v. Totally within spec and our Gen 2 TWC is quite happy at that voltage - I would be surprised if it wasn't. For microgeneration inverters to export, they need to raise their voltage above grid, which in turn will push up grid voltage. Lots of regs on how they should control voltage to keep things in spec, but in general, lots of output from microgeneration = a higher grid voltage.

You can get plug in voltage meters which will quickly and safely tell you the voltage.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KennethS
I dont have any other power generation. Tesla just replied to me with….

The technical support team here at Tesla has received a report that you are experiencing issues with a Tesla Wall Connector.Our investigation shows that the wall connector has failed. We require additional information to assess if the product’s warranty applies.

do I purchase another Tesla charger or a different make?

Slightly different topic / context, but in case helpful I asked a question recently:

Reactions: Pagemakers
As per my post, the micro generation just needs to be close by, or even further away in more rural setting.

A voltage check will confirm if over voltage is an issue. It may well be the TWC, or it may be something completely unrelated to your situation which may cause the exact same problem with a new device.

The technical support team here at Tesla has received a report that you are experiencing issues with a Tesla Wall Connector.Our investigation shows that the wall connector has failed. We require additional information to assess if the product’s warranty applies.

That's not terribly helpful just saying "failed"! It is surely repairable. Bear in mind that a charge point doesn't do any charging ... that bit is in your car. It's just a fancy switch that provides mains current to the car. It has safety features and it has circuitry to communicate with the car to ensure that all is well before commencing charging and to tell the car how much current it can offer. (Sorry, I'm not being very helpful either but it's frustrating that somebody can write off an expensive piece of equipment like that without even looking at it.)

"I've lost the receipt but I bought it when I got the car two years ago..."

If they don't know instantly when it was first activated on the system, they're not going to know that you're bending the truth a little with the warranty status.