Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire Nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my first flat tire in my 2018 MS after 4 years. I had aftermarket tires put on as the car has 60k miles on it. Since I did that, I was told no roadside assistance was available but they could help set up a tow.

I had it towed to a 3rd party tire center. They couldn’t fix the tire because of a bent rim. Had to have it towed to a service center as they are the only place that can now fix it. Contacted Tesla service center and the fastest they could do it is 10 days.

I asked for a loaner. Nope. I asked for Uber credits. Nope.

So, I am at the mercy of Tesla because they are the only ones who can fix this, yet they won’t help me having a car for 10 days. Yes, it’s my fault the rim got bent (well a potholes fault), but they are forcing me to use them and they are sooo busy I’m stuck for 10 days. Any other dealer, 3rd party would fix it within a day or two at max.

Is this normal? Or is my frustration justified? As the increase of Tesla sales go up, they better figure out a service plan. People can’t be waiting 10 days for a bum wheel.

Reactions: Jgranger5
Is this normal?...
Yes, for Tesla Service. They are overwhelmed. They should build more Service Centers and hire more workers. Without doing that, it only gets worse.

I am surprised that Tesla didn't charge you for the tow because you are no longer under the warranty.

Will Tesla order a new wheel or will it beat up the bent wheel into shape (fix it)?

Last edited:
This sounds crazy, no roadside assistance because you've had your tires replaced? Is Tesla going to replace your bent rim or repair it?

I carry a small spare from modernspare.com, and also have a full size backup wheel/tire at home because Tesla. Have you looked on Craigslist for backup wheel/tire? I'd let you borrow mine but I'm in TX.

Aftermarket tires, or wheels? But in any case you are out of the roadside coverage period anyhow.

But there are plenty of wheel repair shops, often mobile vans, than can and will repair bent wheels. You are in no way limited to using Tesla. You could, also, buy a replacement wheel from any number of vehicle recyclers, eBay, Craigslist, etc... (i.e. the shop you took it to didn't want to bother helping you.)

This sounds crazy, no roadside assistance because you've had your tires replaced? Is Tesla going to replace your bent rim or repair it?

I carry a small spare from modernspare.com, and also have a full size backup wheel/tire at home because Tesla. Have you looked on Craigslist for backup wheel/tire? I'd let you borrow mine but I'm in TX.
You are a genius!

I got my first flat tire in my 2018 MS after 4 years. I had aftermarket tires put on as the car has 60k miles on it. Since I did that, I was told no roadside assistance was available but they could help set up a tow.

I had it towed to a 3rd party tire center. They couldn’t fix the tire because of a bent rim. Had to have it towed to a service center as they are the only place that can now fix it. Contacted Tesla service center and the fastest they could do it is 10 days.

I asked for a loaner. Nope. I asked for Uber credits. Nope.

So, I am at the mercy of Tesla because they are the only ones who can fix this, yet they won’t help me having a car for 10 days. Yes, it’s my fault the rim got bent (well a potholes fault), but they are forcing me to use them and they are sooo busy I’m stuck for 10 days. Any other dealer, 3rd party would fix it within a day or two at max.

Is this normal? Or is my frustration justified? As the increase of Tesla sales go up, they better figure out a service plan. People can’t be waiting 10 days for a bum wheel.

Your frustration is not justified.

I don't think aftermarket tires was the reason Tesla did not help you out. It's because your car is 4yrs old with 60k miles on it. Roadside Assistance ends after 4 yrs or 50k miles.

You are not at the mercy of Tesla. Tesla is not forcing you to use them. You need to buy a replacement rim or take it to a shop that repairs rims.

Yes, for Tesla Service. They are overwhelmed. They should build more Service Centers and hire more workers. Without doing that, it only gets worse.
Musk says he is now trying to make 2/3 of all repairs completed the same day. Of course, this will require more Service Centers, and mor service personnel. He knows the current service is inadequate. Problem is can he expand service to meet the service demands for all the new vehicles being produced. Tesla wants to 'revolutionize' service with bigger centers and more specialization

This is normal, once your warranty is out, Tesla has no more obligation to you, they however as courtesy ll they can do is help you to find a tow truck. You can call any wheel repair shop in your area and tow your vehicle there, past experience of wheel repair is overnight, not sure how much a new Tesla wheel cost but I expect there will be delay.

There are no tires in my area that fit my Tesla, so I have a temporary spare and wheel from Modern Spare to tide me over until I can get a replacement. Hope I never have to use it. I also have AAA Platinum that allows a 200 mile tow in case I need to get my car home or to my Tesla service center which is more than 100 miles from my house. I bet they don't have tires either.

There are no tires in my area that fit my Tesla, so I have a temporary spare and wheel from Modern Spare to tide me over until I can get a replacement. Hope I never have to use it. I also have AAA Platinum that allows a 200 mile tow in case I need to get my car home or to my Tesla service center which is more than 100 miles from my house. I bet they don't have tires either.
That sucks, have you checked with tirerack.com., they can ship it to tire shop or your house if they have it in stock.

I made a full size spare out of the best old tire from the last tire swap. I'm on 19 inch wheels (aftermarket) so the tire size is common and less likely to break/bend in a pothole. Just having the spare in the garage is huge step toward avoiding these scenarios.

Reactions: RyanS
Once warranty is over Tesla is under no obligation to provide you with Uber credits or a loaner. Your best option is to buy & keep a spare ( Modernspare.com) either in your car or in your garage if you are not travelling out of town so that you can deal with such emergencies.

I made a full size spare out of the best old tire from the last tire swap. I'm on 19 inch wheels (aftermarket) so the tire size is common and less likely to break/bend in a pothole. Just having the spare in the garage is huge step toward avoiding these scenarios.
I totally agree. I had sidewall damage and the tire shop didn't have the same tire in stock. Either wait or get something that I don't want. Even at Costco, I have to wait a week for a set of tires. Often tires are on back order. That's why I have spare tires/wheels for my M3, MY, and MS in my garage. I can still drive my car while I wait for a new tire or wheel. Good insurance policy.

I disagree. The loaners and Uber credits are part of taking the car into service. Whether you have a bill or not is where the warranty comes in. My car is way past warranty and transportation is still offered.
That is why I have said that Tesla does not have the "obligation", they may choose to provide the loaner or Uber credit as courtesy but they don't have the obligation to do it as they have when it is under warranty.