Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire on my brand new Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's see... potential pack damage from improper lifting, damaged lug nuts (I've actually seen this), improper torquing (more the rule than the exception), not to mention improper inflation and potential TPMS damage... I'm not going to hand my car over to just anyone. And I'm going to keep an eye on them throughout. Don't assume they will take due care because it's the low guy on the totem pole who does wheels and tires.
at a tire shop it's not "the low guy on the totem pole" who does wheels and tires, that's what the whole shop does. improper torquing, when given the right torque values, is almost unheard of at a reputable wheel and tire shop, and they know how to inflate tires just fine. absolutely NOTHING about that is any different than the millions of other cars on the road that they deal with every single day.

I try to do all my tire work at Costco, Their employees in the tire center have been there for years, I have been a faithful customer at my local warehouse since it was built as a Price Club more than 20 years ago. They are open 7 days a week and in the evening 5 days a week. So, after a little coaxing, I had a great experience at Costco with my first flat a couple of weeks ago (managed to go more than 16K miles before picking up a nail, sorry OP) Biggest issue was that Teslas aren't in their computers yet, so they didn't have the 129ft-lb lug nut torque in their system. I showed them the manual page built into the display, Unfortunately, that wasn't good enough. Then needed it in writing from Tesla to protect themselves from potential lawsuits if they broke a lug or an owner had a wheel come off, I understand that. So eventually they agreed to do the work if i e-mailed the warehouse the page from the owners manual that showed the lug nut torque that they could then staple to the work order. No problem, I just downloaded the manual to my phone from MyTesla, and copied that page out and e-mailed it to the tire center's email address. Putting the car in Jack Mode, was a fun experience too. They were amazed that the control was on the touchscreen. The tech that did the work was so happy he got to work on my car, I'm sure it was something he really wanted to do, and took pride in getting everything right. I ended up paying $37 for the flat fix, a tire rotation and a Nitrogen fill. I'm happy with the service on my OEM tires, and will definitely use Costco to replace these tires when the time comes.

at a tire shop it's not "the low guy on the totem pole" who does wheels and tires, that's what the whole shop does. improper torquing, when given the right torque values, is almost unheard of at a reputable wheel and tire shop, and they know how to inflate tires just fine. absolutely NOTHING about that is any different than the millions of other cars on the road that they deal with every single day.
Perhaps, but a reputable tire shop wrecked all 20 lug nuts on my S85. Now I know there are solid aftermarket lug nuts, which wouldn't be susceptible to damage, but none of them appear to have the flange above the chamfer, so I'm a bit hesitant to use them. So now I just bring the tire(s) that need work on and do the re & re myself.

Sorry Mike, I should have clarified...it is the lifting that I would be worried about (not the tires).

Improper lifting was really "drilled" into Roadster owners early on...it's always stayed with me...:wink:

And thanks Jerry...didn't know about the hollow lugs.

Jaff, there's nothing particularly unique with how the tires/wheels work on the Model S compared to any other car. Not really any different than a tire shop who's worked on Toyotas working on a Honda for the first time.

The only thing you need to be careful about are the lifting points when hoisting the car up, but they're pretty obvious to anyone who's worked on cars, and lifting points can be critical on many ICE cars too.

What I have done is printed out the Jacking and Lifting page from the Owners Manual (you can get the pdf at the Tesla site) and laminated it. I keep it in the glove box and leave it on the seat whenever I go in to a non-Tesla shop (so far, just Kal Tire for me). When I got my snow tires back in 2013, mine was the first Tesla my local Kal Tire had worked on. With the instructions I gave, they had no problems whatsoever with the car, although I did keep a sharp eye out while I waited!

I also keep a laminated copy of the Towing Instructions in case I ever need a non-Tesla tow (flatbed).

Then why did one of the Frisby tire chain stores completely ruin a friend's Model S lug nuts?

Given the small size of the jack points and the large area of shop jack saddles, I'd suggest it's a reasonable concern.
I would agree. I printed out the diagrams, explained the lift points and even went into the shop to point them out. "No problem" I was told. But when I came back, they had lifted the back by the suspension arms because they weren't comfortable with the extension needed on their lifting apparatus to handle the car's width. Looking at the size of the members, I have to think no damage would have been incurred, but who knows. If the tires start to wear oddly, I'll be having a discussion with those guys...

The points are small though... I've thought I should carry four hockey pucks in the car to provide in the future, just to ensure the lift points are actually where the load is concentrated.

There are two other items. Torque is 129 ft.lbs. 175 Nm. The lug nuts are not solid so if they use an impact wrench you'll be purchasing a new set for $100.

Yep. They know that. They leave a card in the car signed by the Tech attesting to the fact the the lug nuts were hand-torqued to 129 ft.lbs. and to the air pressure in them. The card also invites me to come back in a few days for a free check and re-torquing of the lug nuts (I do this myself). I watched them do this through the window while I waited. I was very impressed.

- - - Updated - - -

I would agree. I printed out the diagrams, explained the lift points and even went into the shop to point them out. "No problem" I was told. But when I came back, they had lifted the back by the suspension arms because they weren't comfortable with the extension needed on their lifting apparatus to handle the car's width.

Huh. The equipment my local Kal Tire had fit and worked perfectly with the Tesla's lifting points. As I say, I was watching like a hawk.

Yep. They know that. They leave a card in the car signed by the Tech attesting to the fact the the lug nuts were hand-torqued to 129 ft.lbs. and to the air pressure in them. The card also invites me to come back in a few days for a free check and re-torquing of the lug nuts (I do this myself). I watched them do this through the window while I waited. I was very impressed.

My concern though Mike, is that I believe Kal tire is a franchaise operation...just because the (larger / busier) locations have worked on a Tesla, does not mean all locations have...(I would not want to endure the effort fighting a battle over damage done to my vehicle by an inexperienced technician at a shop with zero experience working on a Tesla.)

When I queried the two Kal tire shops closest to me, neither had worked on a Tesla.

Huh. The equipment my local Kal Tire had fit and worked perfectly with the Tesla's lifting points. As I say, I was watching like a hawk.
Also a Kal Tire. I had to go back to work, but thought they could be trusted after the detailed discussion and their comments relating to their correct understanding of the car's value... their excuse was that the extended lift parts were at their limits to reach the proper lift points and given the weight of the car, they didn't want anything to fail.

I've just had too many bad experiences with grease monkeys screwing up lug nuts, improper lifting, tightening, etc. on other cars to trust them with the Tesla.
I do it myself. I have two jacks (so I can jack up both lift points on a side to rotate tires), a breaker bar, 6 pt socket and torque wrench.
It only takes about a half hour and is much less time and hassle than driving to a shop, waiting, supervising, and worrying.
I don't have equipment to change tires on the wheels so I am at their mercy there but they seem to do OK with that since alloy wheels are common.

My concern though Mike, is that I believe Kal tire is a franchaise operation...just because the (larger / busier) locations have worked on a Tesla, does not mean all locations have...(I would not want to endure the effort fighting a battle over damage done to my vehicle by an inexperienced technician at a shop with zero experience working on a Tesla.)

When I queried the two Kal tire shops closest to me, neither had worked on a Tesla.

I completely get that, Jaff. The Model S is an expensive piece of machinery, and if there is any doubt whatsoever, we should do the thing that alleviates these concerns. As it turns out, it was the first Tesla my local Kal Tire had worked on, and they handled it flawlessly. When I had my flat, and Kal Tire in Cambridge looked after me, I think it was their first one too. Both locations had specs on the Model S and, at least in my case, the workers were genuine "car guys" who went out of their way to do things carefully and properly.

I do it myself. I have two jacks (so I can jack up both lift points on a side to rotate tires), a breaker bar, 6 pt socket and torque wrench.
It only takes about a half hour and is much less time and hassle than driving to a shop, waiting, supervising, and worrying.
I don't have equipment to change tires on the wheels so I am at their mercy there but they seem to do OK with that since alloy wheels are common.

Same here. I do my seasonal tire swaps (on all my cars) myself in the garage. I don't really like leaving my car with others to work on... even Tesla... if I can help it. When I got my winter tires, I had them mounted to the stock Tesla rims and so had to have it done at a tire shop. When I ordered new summer rims, and needed the previously removed tires mounted, I again had to use a tire shop. And when I had a flat tire on the way to work, I used Kal for their included free road hazard repairs.