Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire on my brand new Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all

I am quite annoyed with Tesla as I got a flat tire on 401 by Milton (Trafalgar road) 3 days into owning my Model S and I had to pay $377 to get that fixed. I inquired if Tesla would pay for it as if I was to buy another vehicle I would have warranty on tires for first couple of years ( may have to may little when buying a new car). I was told that Tesla is not " there yet" as is they do not have any warranty contracts with Michelin. Michelin would cover if there was manufacturing issue with tire but not flat tire.

Thought I let everyone know so you are prepared if you end up with a flat tire on your Tesla. I thinking about writing an official complaint to Tesla about this.

Preet

I purchased "road hazard" warranty from Discount Tire and for me this fills the gap left by the Michelin warranty.

if I was to buy another vehicle I would have warranty on tires for first couple of years (may have to [pay a] little when buying a new car).
You are correct, the other car companies do not provide this for no charge.

Last edited:
I picked up a screw on about my 3rd day as well, went to Discount Tire who fixed it for free even though it's not theirs.

But even if not, I have a hard time imagining a scenario where Tesla would be responsible for my road damage ...

Tesla doesn't fix flats but will sell you a new tire. I had a flat a month into ownership and had it fixed at America's tire for free.
Hey all

I am quite annoyed with Tesla as I got a flat tire on 401 by Milton (Trafalgar road) 3 days into owning my Model S and I had to pay $377 to get that fixed. I inquired if Tesla would pay for it as if I was to buy another vehicle I would have warranty on tires for first couple of years ( may have to may little when buying a new car). I was told that Tesla is not " there yet" as is they do not have any warranty contracts with Michelin. Michelin would cover if there was manufacturing issue with tire but not flat tire.

Thought I let everyone know so you are prepared if you end up with a flat tire on your Tesla. I thinking about writing an official complaint to Tesla about this.

Preet

I had a metal piece ( not even a nail) so I had to replace the tire. Fixing it would be unsafe. Unfortunately, we don't have Americas here in Canada

- - - Updated - - -

It's the tire, there should be a warranty which is usually given by the car company, as with my husbands Benz we paid $140 for a warranty as they were new tires, when he got a nail in one of the tires a month into ownership Benz covered the expense for new tire.

- - - Updated - - -

It's the tire, there should be a warranty which is usually given by the car company, as with my husbands Benz we paid $140 for a warranty as they were new tires, when he got a nail in one of the tires a month into ownership Benz covered the expense for new tire.

- - - Updated - - -

metal piece ( twice may be even three times the size of a nail)

- - - Updated - - -

Now tha's smart!

- - - Updated - - -

Usually the company selling the vehicle has contracts with tire manufactures and they will sell warranty. If anything goes wrong with in a given period, they fix it without a charge.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla should give out warranty for tires. When I did discuss this I was told Tesla is " not there yet"

- - - Updated - - -

Metal Piece ( two or three times thicker then a nail)

Hey all

Preet

I'm really sorry about the flat tire but seriously whatever happened to the concept of personal responsibility? You do realize that this is your tire that you own and you are responsible for anything that happens to your tire that is not the result of a manufacturing defect right? If you crash your car through a brick wall, it is on you. If you drive over a pothole or nail and have a flat tire, it is on you.

We've owned quite a few premium cars and none of the premium cars we've owned ever covered fixing flat tires. Some car manufacturers offer tire hazard warranties but unless you purchased such a warranty, the tires are your responsibility. Please be reasonable and accept responsibility for things that happen to your car that is not related to a manufacturing defect.

I've never expected the dealer to pay for my flat tire, even on a brand new car. This happened to me twice in my Tesla and both times the puncture was unrepairable. The first I had Kal tire replace and the second I went to Tesla. In the end I ended up paying way less going with Tesla for the same tire.

I've never expected the dealer to pay for my flat tire, even on a brand new car. This happened to me twice in my Tesla and both times the puncture was unrepairable. The first I had Kal tire replace and the second I went to Tesla. In the end I ended up paying way less going with Tesla for the same tire.

FYI: Tesla doesn't have dealers. All stores and service centers are manufacturer owned.

yea, like something like a metal piece or nail can happen to anyone at anytime but when you buy brand new Tesla or any other luxury vehicle. It should be covered (even if the owner had to pay for warranty at the time of purchase).

No it should not. I'm sorry to say this but your attitude wreaks of entitlement. If a rock crashed through your windshield do you expect Tesla to fix that for free? If a nail punctures your car tires, Tesla is not responsible for that. If tire hazard warranty is so important to you, talk to your insurance agent as most offer that coverage.

You bought a car from Tesla and if the car has manufacturing defects they will fix it. Tesla is not an insurance company and they did not sell you an insurance policy that absolves you of any responsibilities that has to do with a nail or pothole causing a flat tire or road debris damaging your car. Tesla road side assistance will assist you in such a situation as a courtesy but it is your tire and it is your responsibility.

Please accept personal responsibility. It is not someone else's fault or responsibility when a nail punctures your tire. It is your tire and your responsibility. Please pay for it like the rest of the world does.

Tesla started offering optional added-cost tire warranties when they first started shipping Model S back in 2012, but withdrew the program almost immediately. I'm not sure why but something wasn't working out or there was a regulatory issue, or something.

In any case, if you want a tire warranty I do believe you can purchase a third party plan separately. It's basically another form of insurance.

Most definitely this is not Tesla's fault. I'm sorry you had tire damage but it's just something that happens once in a while. Has nothing to do with whether you just bought a new car or are driving a 15 year old clunker.

Tesla started offering optional added-cost tire warranties when they first started shipping Model S back in 2012, but withdrew the program almost immediately. I'm not sure why but something wasn't working out or there was a regulatory issue, or something.

In any case, if you want a tire warranty I do believe you can purchase a third party plan separately. It's basically another form of insurance.

Most definitely this is not Tesla's fault. I'm sorry you had tire damage but it's just something that happens once in a while. Has nothing to do with whether you just bought a new car or are driving a 15 year old clunker.

Well I was a part of that..... Tesla wanted to repair tires with flats. I pointed out to them that repaired tires are no longer speed rated and they are open to liability claims. Their third party insurer, I believe then withdrew, or they were let go.