Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire on road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The beads don't always break when a tire goes flat. If the bead is broken, it's doubtful a 12V compressor will be effective. Otherwise I'd say it will work.
It most often will if the tire is not being crushed. Sometimes you have to lift and wiggle to get some seal. You might have to hold it in the position a lot longer with a wimpy compressor. And even a high flow compressor won’t work if there isn’t a partial seal.

YES!! Everyone going on a trip should have a plug kit and a compressor. Flats are generally caused by pointy objects puncturing the tread, and the tire can be easily and quickly fixed while the tire and wheel remain on the vehicle, and the kits are cheap. There is no waiting for a Tesla Ranger to show up. Of course, if you can't push a tool into a hole, I guess you're just out $80.

If I'd known you were in Napa Valley with a flat I would have come and fixed it for free.
Without a spare tire/wheel for Tesla (and having taken my first major 2.5k miles road trip with small kids in tow) - flat in the middle of nowhere was my major worry (remote parts of GA or other places driving south - haven’t been on a road trip for Covid in a long long time so all seems remote in my head :)).

I find your comment about “tire and wheel remain on vehicle” very interesting as I’ve been trying to research/prep for such a scenario. Dynaplug and I believe less preferable slime kits are 2 popular tire plug solutions but I thought you always need emergency jack/jack pads and lugs to take the tire out and repair (to access the actual puncture spot, say in dark cold place and then repair using plug kits).

Could you elaborate more (if plug kits like dynaplug) can be used while flat is still not taken out? (Or any YouTube or other links to understand the procedure better).

I’ve been looking to get emergency portable jack (1.5 ton and all that chatter) but there seem to be way too many options with height and such issues (I’m just not familiar but would like to learn to even be able to help others when needed). Any help would be appreciated (to prep/be ready for flats). TIA!

I have always carried a compressor in my cars for more than 20 years, even if the car has a spare.

With the Tesla I have the compressor and a plug kit with the glue to put on the plugs. It can be done with the tire on the car, if you can find it and get to it. Never take the offending object out until you are ready to repair as it will instantly go flat, as I found out 40 years ago when I did that. The problem is, that there are holes you can't fix, like a huge object in the tread or a punctured or ripped side wall.

So, I carry a spare from ModernSpare. I got the version with a jack and it is the same scissors jack used on any car. They can certainly be bought in lots of places. I do use pucks between the jack and the car. I don't want to be stuck in rural areas and be unable to get home, even though I also have AAA. I can change a tire if I have to (not saying I like to) before AAA or the Tesla ranger will get to me.

It most often will if the tire is not being crushed. Sometimes you have to lift and wiggle to get some seal. You might have to hold it in the position a lot longer with a wimpy compressor. And even a high flow compressor won’t work if there isn’t a partial seal.
Right. I’ve seated a bead with a 12V compressor.

There are high flow 12V compressors and low flow. I have a high flow one. Tesla’s are pretty low flow. You can seat a tire with almost any compressor but the slower it is the harder it is. No matter how much you hold and wiggle if it’s too slow air leaks out as fast as it’s going in.

If it’s cold out it’s much harder than if it’s warm. Like I said earlier. The chances of you getting flat that you lose the bead on is not likely one your gonna patch on the road with a plug. It’s possible, but rare. You can fix small punctures with the plug kit. You usually don’t lose the bead with a small puncture.

Having said all that, one time I was on a frozen lake doing donuts :) Slid sideways into an ice bank and popped the bead on TWO tires. I some how got them reseated with a crappy 12V compressor in the ice cold. Couldn’t exactly call AAA in the middle of the lake. Tires were fine. In hindsight I should have had them pumped up more for that horsing around.

Which model do you have or recommend?

How many Amp does it take?

Can you plug it directly to the Auxiliary 12V plug, or do you plug it directly to the battery?

It’s right around 12 Amps. I’ve used it in both Model 3 and X with no problems. As well as several other cars.

You’ll see it doesn’t have a very high pressure limit because it’s designed for higher flow than higher pressure.

Amazon.com

Reactions: Watts_Up