Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire replacement for stock 19" Gemini?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided AGAINST the tire certificates for the following reason. After 10k miles, with all tires significantly worn, if I have an unrepairable tire, the Certificate pays for the replacement, but does NOT pay for the replacement on the same axle. In this scenario, the cost of the certificates isn't justified.
Here's the catch tho...
Before I got certs, in this scenario, yes, I'd have to pay to have the other tire replaced... However, after getting certs... In this same scenario, DT let me use the treadware warranty on the other 3 tires on my AWD vehicle. Not quite the same as having the other tires replaced for free, but still MUCH cheaper than out of pocket.. They told me since I had certs, they didn't have a problem doing this... I've done this several times at different locations with different AWD cars...

avs007: So, DT allowed a discount on 3 new tire purchases, even though the 3 tires you replaced actually didn't need replacement based on failure? How many miles were on the tires?

I'm going to run that by my local DT manager and see if they follow that policy. If so, you are correct that there would be an advantage to buying the tire certificates.

avs007: So, DT allowed a discount on 3 new tire purchases, even though the 3 tires you replaced actually didn't need replacement based on failure? How many miles were on the tires?

I'm going to run that by my local DT manager and see if they follow that policy. If so, you are correct that there would be an advantage to buying the tire certificates.
I don't remember how many miles were on it, but it was enough that I wasn't comfortable leaving them as is on my AWD.

When DT let me do that on my staggered RWD, I remember I measured the tread depth, and I had 7/32" on the fronts, and they let me prorate the treadware warranty to replace the front 2 even tho they didn't technically need to be replaced. I told them my stability control kept wigging out, which it did. They said since I had certs, they would be fine with it.

Reactions: Pianewman
avs007: Thanks for working through this. Your experience completely changes my evaluation of the value of tire certificates.

As I said, I will have this clarified by the manager of the DT that I've used for several years. From a business perspective, I'm surprised they would prorate replacement tires that aren't damaged or in need of replacement.

avs007: Thanks for working through this. Your experience completely changes my evaluation of the value of tire certificates.

As I said, I will have this clarified by the manager of the DT that I've used for several years. From a business perspective, I'm surprised they would prorate replacement tires that aren't damaged or in need of replacement.
I've read their certificate documentation and it doesn't speak to this. From what I gather each location uses their judgement depending on the condition of your other tires, etc... in how to handle it. I've found they've always been very reasonable to work with but I don't see any specific policy in writing that would guarantee anything other than the damaged tire. So I guess the cert value varies. From reading here some seem to drive through minefields so probably worth it for them...

I've read their certificate documentation and it doesn't speak to this. From what I gather each location uses their judgement depending on the condition of your other tires, etc... in how to handle it. I've found they've always been very reasonable to work with but I don't see any specific policy in writing that would guarantee anything other than the damaged tire. So I guess the cert value varies. From reading here some seem to drive through minefields so probably worth it for them...
Thanks for the research. My conclusion is similar to yours, that the prorated (discounted) replacement of fully functional tires would vary depending on the mgmt of the individual DT.

. From reading here some seem to drive through minefields so probably worth it for them...
Prob because people here love their studded tires, and have them from oct to April regardless of the weather. I remember one time it was 70 degrees and sunny, and the guy next to me in the parking lot had studded tires on still, prob because they were still legal for a few days. So as a result, potholes can be crazy.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis
Prob because people here love their studded tires, and have them from oct to April regardless of the weather. I remember one time it was 70 degrees and sunny, and the guy next to me in the parking lot had studded tires on still, prob because they were still legal for a few days. So as a result, potholes can be crazy.
Crazy. And others post about how they get more flat tires with their MY's than ever before, which I find hard to believe. It's probably just all those flat-free miles catch up to them eventually and they happen to be driving a MY when the bill comes due. Kind of like watching baseball and the announcer quoting some player stat like "he hasn't hit a HR in over a 1000 at bats!" just before the guy hits a grand slam... :cool:

Reactions: Pianewman
Was the CC2 causing too much noise for you versus the stock gemini tires?

I have an MYP so originally had 21" uberturbines with Michelin All Sports 4 tires but traded for a 19" Gemini set with Continental OEM tires for comfort. Right away I noticed a lot more road noise with the Conti OEM versus the previous Michelin AS4 wheels. If the CC2 is going to be just as loud as the Conti OEM then I'd rather get AS4 since we basically will only see snow on ski trips but 99% of the time just sunny condition.
From what I've been reading, CC2 was initially characterized as "Snow" tire and later classified as 'all seasons tire'. So I assume it's better than average in snow and wet condition compared to others all seasons tire. It's 60K miles warranty so I think it's a great tire for the money. I had them on my Lexus CT200h but only about 1000 miles before I sold that baby which my wife loves

CMPT PAD: "... CC2 was initially characterized as "Snow" tire and later classified as 'all seasons tire'.

This is funny, because the aggressive tread on the CC2 positively screams, "SNOW TIRE."

My experience, in the DFW region, with CC2 tires on a 2019 Avalon and 2021 MYLR, was that the tread design was unacceptably noisy. If you drive on ribbon-smooth asphalt or concrete, they're fine, but if you're in a region with coarse, exposed aggregate surfaces, the road noise is unbearable. I really don't need such an aggressive snow tread, as basic A/S tires do just fine for my region. When we're hit with ice storms, I simply stay home.

Reactions: jcanoe
CMPT PAD: "... CC2 was initially characterized as "Snow" tire and later classified as 'all seasons tire'.

This is funny, because the aggressive tread on the CC2 positively screams, "SNOW TIRE."

My experience, in the DFW region, with CC2 tires on a 2019 Avalon and 2021 MYLR, was that the tread design was unacceptably noisy. If you drive on ribbon-smooth asphalt or concrete, they're fine, but if you're in a region with coarse, exposed aggregate surfaces, the road noise is unbearable. I really don't need such an aggressive snow tread, as basic A/S tires do just fine for my region. When we're hit with ice storms, I simply stay home.
Maybe we already have a thread about best tires for Testla models Y and 3?

19" tires: I replaced OEM Contis with the CrossClimate 2. In my environment (DFW region, exposed aggregate concrete/tar and chip) they were noisier than I could tolerate, replaced them with PilotSport A/S4s. Efficiency loss? from 289Wh/mi to 328Wh/mi...but I do a lot of highway cruising at 75-80mph. If I drive below 60mph, I can drop below 300Wh/mi.

Tried the CrossClimate2 on my 2019 Avalon Hybrid, and after2k miles, replaced them with the PilotSport A/S4s.

I decided AGAINST the tire certificates for the following reason. After 10k miles, with all tires significantly worn, if I have an unrepairable tire, the Certificate pays for the replacement, but does NOT pay for the replacement on the same axle. In this scenario, the cost of the certificates isn't justified.

You don't need a certificate for lifetime puncture repair at Discount Tire, or, I believe, TireAmerica.
I replaced the two rear tires on my Model Y at America’s Tire just 3 weeks ago (ref. my earlier post), and last week tore into the sidewall of one of them on a damaged curb. Fortunately I purchased the warranty certificate and America’s Tire (AKA Discount Tire outside California?) replaced it no questions asked. All I had to pay was the $55 for the certificate on the new tire. This saved me the current cost of the OEM Procontact at $354 (+ $24 installation and life of tire maintenance and taxes). Given the expense of the tires and risk of damage, I personally think its worth the $55 for the certificate for some peace of mind as well as potential additional warranty support from America’s Tire depending upon the location. Without this I would have been SOL.

Attachments

• IMG_8377.jpeg
    IMG_8377.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 48