Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire Replacement Time, Is This Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Saturday, I was driving on the highway and a piece of flying debris hit my tire and gave me a flat tire. I used Tesla's Roadside Assistance and got my car towed to the nearest Service Center (~5 miles). Their response was super quick and super helpful.

However, it has been 4 days since my flat tire, and I have not received any type of loaner car, nor do they have an update for me as to when they will receive a replacement tire for me. They notified me that they overnighted the Michelin tire from Fremont, but it still has not arrived ( 2 days later).

Is this normal? All I had was a flat tire. Can I find and purchase this tire locally and give it to the service center, or is it a very unique tire? I feel like it should not take this long to fix a simple flat tire.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?

-- Update --

Got a call from Tesla Motors. They said the tire is already in Texas and should arrive at the latest by tomorrow morning. Hooray!

-- Final Update --

I got a call from Tesla again. They came up with a perfect solution that makes me 100% happy. They replaced my tire with a Goodyear tire they had in stock. I picked up my car and it drives perfectly! They said whenever the Michellin tire arrives they will switch the Goodyear tire off and I will be all set.

So... In the end... Tesla Motors customers service wins!! Special thanks to Jack at Tesla Motors Dallas for getting everything done!

Last edited:
Finding an exotic tire is not always a speedy proposition. Try to scrounge up at least ONE extra rim/tire to keep at home, or (gasp!) to carry as a spare. Then at most it would just be a matter of hitch hiking back home and strapping the spare to your scooter.
--

I will definitely purchase a spare tire/rim now that I know how long the process takes to acquire one.

I am no car expert, but are the tires on the Tesla Model S like any the ones on all other cars, or are they very special and unique? I assumed they were just the normal tires you can buy at any tire store.

High performance Michelins are very hard to source on a whim

I guess that sort of explains the issue. After a little bit of calling and research I found the exact model of the Michelin tires. And after calling a few local tire stores in Dallas, none of them could source these tires for 5 business days...

So I guess there is nothing much to do besides waiting.

Thank you everyone. I will post back here with any updates I have

I absolutely recommend getting at a minimum a set of tires (all four if you have the staggered sizing although one will do find if you just need something to hold you over a few days) and keep em in the garage. Old trick is to seal them in a plastic Hefty trash bag (one bag each) to preserve them and prevent the rubber from drying out. Then, when needed they are right there without waiting.

I am perfectly content now. Tesla gave me too rare Goodyear tires and gave me back the car! And they will switch the Goodyear tire off as soon as the Michellin arrives.

Thank you Jack at Tesla Motors Dallas for being so helpful and accommodating! I couldn't be a happier!

I have had two slow leaks in 10 months of ownership...never stranded though. I have yet to fix the 19" tire since the leak was discovered as I switched back to the 21" wheels.

When the TPMS alarmed this summer, I went to a couple of local reputable tire shops. None of them had 21" Conti ExtremeContacts in stock -
2-3 days to get one from within the area. Glad the tire ended up being repairable.

Since I have some curb rash on the right front rim, I am planning to turn that into a spare once I swap the wheels again in late fall. I'll then pickup a new rim/tire.

I had to replace a Michelin tire this week due to a bubble. The Rockville SC had a bunch of tires and changed it in a few minutes. Just wish it had not cost $755. I only had just over 3,000 miles on the tire.

I used Tesla's Roadside Assistance and got my car towed to the nearest Service Center (~5 miles). Their response was super quick and super helpful.

You used TRA for the tow, was it Safari Towing?? Just curious because being that we own a towing company & are vendor of the roadside company that Tesla uses they are using only certain towers in the areas to do the towing for tesla. To flatbed a Tesla is different than most cars because Tesla di away with the "tow Eye" that most cars have now & went back in time to hook like we used to in the 70's which is around the suspension.