TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Flat tire replacement

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Jhall118, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Hey guys, I took delivery of an inventory model S (3900 miles), and ran over something that punctured the tire on the first day :eek: Very slow leak (TPMS hasn't gone off in two days, and it looks like I haven't lost any real pressure yet).

Anyways, the tire needs to be replaced, and I am just wondering if I can get by just replacing one tire, and if it should go on the front (don't want to hurt the rear differential?) or if I should rotate it to the rear (because it will get more wear). Any opinion on this?

It's the Michelin primacy 245/45/19.

Sucks, but I LOVE THE CAR. Also, I was thinking of just fixing the flat with a patch/plug myself (I've done it before) and risking the "CATASTROPHIC RESULTS" if I need to use it as a spare, in the future.
  2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    This looks to be not in the sidewall. If you are going to patch it, use an internal patch properly placed.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

May 17, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don't think Tesla will patch it so will have to go somewhere else. You could patch it and then keep it around as a spare but put a new one on too.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy Member

Jul 3, 2013
    I had a slow leak a few months ago and took the car to the service center. It turned out that a nail was in the tire and
    the only solution the SC could offer was replacing the tire. I had about 12k miles on the car and didn't want to replace 2 tires because you really can't just replace one... at least I wouldn't. I took the car to America's Tire Company and they patched it for free. That's just what they do. Fantastic service and zero cost to me even though I didn't purchase the tires from them.