Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire Today.... Great Warning System!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jack Pad.jpg
A friend of mine used these screwed into hockey pucks:
https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Rubber-Screw-Bumpers-Cabinets/dp/B07GBFD3SH/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2Z2YPYHNPYJUL&keywords=rubber+screw+on+bumpers&qid=1561046351&s=gateway&sprefix=rubber+screw+on+,aps,171&sr=8-1

I rotated my tires with them and the worked really well. Enough friction that they'll stay in the jack point hole.

Interesting solution Likeafox. But here is another (looks like more "official") Model 3 jack pad/puck for $15 (single): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QM6RNRH/ref=psdc_15708071_t3_B07HH8N2RP

Reactions: TonyPham and Gt1948
4A6FA63D-D729-4FC5-B976-F4D5EA6080B8.jpeg
So I'm half way on my commute this morning, cruising at 75 MPH on the freeway when my low pressure warning pops up. We've all seen it before and it's usually complaining about 1psi or something stupid. But this morning all the other tires showed 44 psi and I right rear showed 37. So I watched it. It dropped to 36 within a couple minutes. Hmmmm. Then it dropped another psi within another couple minutes. So, wow, this wasn't a slow leak. I immediately got on the map to find a close tire store. Another psi. Found one about 5 miles away and got off the freeway. Another psi. I watched it slowly drop as I made my way to the the store. At around 25 psi or so the message changed and recommended that I pull over immediately. I was close and just kept going. Finally arrived to a closed (it was 7:30am) shop with about 25 psi. Got out and looked at it. Didn't look flat, but was low. Leaned down to look and I could hear the air leaking! Used my finger and found the hole. They arrived at 8 am and patched it up. They didn't have hockey pucks, but there jack saddle was small and he was careful. $15 later, all is well. I really loved having warning that let me know to get off the freeway! I will put my pucks in the trunk for next time. The experience could have been WAY WORSE!
Always carry four pucks

Since I live in a rural area of Colorado I did not want to have a flat with no spare and bought these with the car. I have the pucks from amazon but not in the car, moving them today. I also have a set of tire plugs and tools to plug punctures and an air pump to fill the tire back up. With no spare I would not leave an urban area without the tire tool and pump. Very simple to use and can save significant time if you get a flat and have to wait for a repair.

This plug kit is a bit overkill but very well made:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I52RG0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For most of us this is smaller and cheaper so is a great option:
https://smile.amazon.com/Slime-2013...N1ER7W8WQZW&psc=1&refRID=3WJJRT1BZN1ER7W8WQZW

The pump I use

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PZC64N5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pucks I got but looks like others may have them cheaper than what I got.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXXVD9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Informative
Reactions: Grogfoot
So I'm half way on my commute this morning, cruising at 75 MPH on the freeway when my low pressure warning pops up. We've all seen it before and it's usually complaining about 1psi or something stupid. But this morning all the other tires showed 44 psi and I right rear showed 37. So I watched it. It dropped to 36 within a couple minutes. Hmmmm. Then it dropped another psi within another couple minutes. So, wow, this wasn't a slow leak. I immediately got on the map to find a close tire store. Another psi. Found one about 5 miles away and got off the freeway. Another psi. I watched it slowly drop as I made my way to the the store. At around 25 psi or so the message changed and recommended that I pull over immediately. I was close and just kept going. Finally arrived to a closed (it was 7:30am) shop with about 25 psi. Got out and looked at it. Didn't look flat, but was low. Leaned down to look and I could hear the air leaking! Used my finger and found the hole. They arrived at 8 am and patched it up. They didn't have hockey pucks, but there jack saddle was small and he was careful. $15 later, all is well. I really loved having warning that let me know to get off the freeway! I will put my pucks in the trunk for next time. The experience could have been WAY WORSE!

Why not just push the service button and have them come to you?

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I don’t have pucks yet. Do I buy them on Amazon? Which ones do you recommend? Thx.
I got a dozen used pucks on ebay for cheap. they are sold as practice pucks. And in response to a number of other comments: The puck is only needed if the jack plate is large and therefore will put pressure on the battery even if placed correctly (so some jack plates are fine and don't need them). My local Les Schwab has both kinds and we tried the big one and the 'nubs', one each at 90 degrees around the edge of the slightly dished plate, do indeed touch the battery area before the car starts to lift. Don't take changes, carry pucks.

Quick thinking! That was very smart. What are these pucks people talk about? Are they cushions for jacking the car up? Seems like I should get me some..

I just carry a good plug kit and a quality small plug in compressor. Haven't had to use it yet on my Tesla but I've plugged quite a few tires before and never needed to lift the car. Plugging a tire is not very difficult to do. If you haven't done it, just look at a how to video before you do it.

I'm a newbie M3 owner. Didn't know it had that warning feature but I'm not surprised. What is the tire pressure threshold that activates the warning?

I was unaware of the advisability of carrying puck-pads for jacking up a Tesla. I went immediately to Amazon after reading this thread and found lots of them -- but the only ones specifically for Tesla were all for Model 3 and looked very different from the slotted disks. Does this mean Model S doesn't need them? Is any old slotted-disk puck okay, it needed?

I was unaware of the advisability of carrying puck-pads for jacking up a Tesla. I went immediately to Amazon after reading this thread and found lots of them -- but the only ones specifically for Tesla were all for Model 3 and looked very different from the slotted disks. Does this mean Model S doesn't need them? Is any old slotted-disk puck okay, it needed?
They all should use them. The engagement feature isn't really necessary, but it helps align and maintain alignment of the puck during use. A regular disk without any holding feature would work fine, but we like the protrusion to keep them in place.

I keep my pucks and other car-related stuff (charging toys, chains in winter, air compressor) in the frunk. The deal with the pucks (aka lift pads) is--just like the OP's story--you never know when you'll need them, so they're not much good on the shelf at home.

I screwed 5/8-inch rubber chair leg tips into four ordinary black pucks. Those wedge nicely into the holes at the lift points to center the puck and keep it in place until the lift or jack is underneath. I made a set for us and another for our son.

I don't know how a tire puck is used. Can someone explain? Thanks.
The risk is if the shape of a jack or lift is such that it makes contact with the battery pack. Bad news--you don't want to bear the weight of the car on the battery. So putting a puck at the lift point (identifiable by a wide spot in the rocker with a finger-sized hole in it) gives an inch of vertical clearance to keep the lift from touching the battery. You can just hold the puck in place while you get the lift in place, or attach some sort of peg thingy that snugs into the aforementioned hole.