Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need suggestions. My wife sustained a total flat tire and barely made it to park in a garage. I'm out of town so I will not get to it for another 2-3 days (she is using another car for now). It looks like it will be a tight fit for a flat bed tow truck and I am afraid to drive it out of the garage since this may damage the wheel. If it was at the house I would take off the wheel and take to my local tire shop to change the tire and then replace it back onto the car. In the garage I am afraid to leave the car jacked up on wheel jacks by itself. It would be nice if I had a temporary tire to keep the car up. Any suggestions: tow the car and take my chances on wheel damage or keep the car jacked up for a few hours.

Surely just call a tire repair company? Lots have mobile units and they'll either drive in and replace it (maybe two tires to balance them) or do a repair so you can get out. Are you sure you can't inflate it enough to drive somewhere?

Need suggestions. My wife sustained a total flat tire and barely made it to park in a garage. I'm out of town so I will not get to it for another 2-3 days (she is using another car for now). It looks like it will be a tight fit for a flat bed tow truck and I am afraid to drive it out of the garage since this may damage the wheel. If it was at the house I would take off the wheel and take to my local tire shop to change the tire and then replace it back onto the car. In the garage I am afraid to leave the car jacked up on wheel jacks by itself. It would be nice if I had a temporary tire to keep the car up. Any suggestions: tow the car and take my chances on wheel damage or keep the car jacked up for a few hours.

Go to the app, select Emergency Road Service. The first option is “flat tire” select that. Within a few minutes you will get a text or call with instructions. They really are pretty responsive.

Last edited:
Does Tesla roadside patch/plug tires, or is the only option full replacement?
It depends on where the hole is. If it is toward the side of the tread they can patch. It is in the center of the tread or sidewall it is new tire time.

I just had mine patched. The guy jacked up the car in my garage, popped the off the tire, and fixed it in his Mercedes repair van. He rebalanced the tire because he lined up the patch with the air stem so I knew where to check for a leak. Took about 30 minutes, most of which I was upstairs on my computer making money. Charged me $60. Gave him a $10 tip, but should have given him $20. Saved me well over an hour of just driving to and from a tire shop. I love Mobile Service.

It depends on where the hole is. If it is toward the side of the tread they can patch. It is in the center of the tread or sidewall it is new tire time.

I just had mine patched. The guy jacked up the car in my garage, popped the off the tire, and fixed it in his Mercedes repair van. He rebalanced the tire because he lined up the patch with the air stem so I knew where to check for a leak. Took about 30 minutes, most of which I was upstairs on my computer making money. Charged me $60. Gave him a $10 tip, but should have given him $20. Saved me well over an hour of just driving to and from a tire shop. I love Mobile Service.

That’s fantastic. I didn’t know they’d do repair and rebalancing on site. Of course can’t be sidewall damage etc - but I had heard they only replace and don’t repair tires. Glad to know that’s not the case. Thank you!

My one tire problem roadside experience had the app saying my vehicle would be towed to the service center. I didn't submit the flat because I didn't want my vehicle towed to the service center, I wanted a spare wheel brought to me. I have AAA, so I called them and they said they don't support EVs and wouldn't tow it to my home. I'm guessing the AAA restrictions are by state, but I was disappointed with the experience all the way around.

My one tire problem roadside experience had the app saying my vehicle would be towed to the service center. I didn't submit the flat because I didn't want my vehicle towed to the service center, I wanted a spare wheel brought to me. I have AAA, so I called them and they said they don't support EVs and wouldn't tow it to my home. I'm guessing the AAA restrictions are by state, but I was disappointed with the experience all the way around.

The way it was explained to me when I had another flat (I am unlucky with them) is that they dispatch a tow company that is under contract with Tesla. As part of the deal, the tow company has a few spare Tesla wheels with tires mounted. So if they have a spare wheel that fits your car, they will bring it to you and put it on. Otherwise, they will put your car on a flatbed tow truck and drive it to the Service Center.

In this flat instance, they did not have a spare tire, it was on someone else's car. So they towed it 25 miles to the Service Center. At the SC they treat flats as a high priority incident and fix them right away. In this incident, the flat was caused by a carpet knife blade and ran 1/3 of the width of the tread destroying the tire. So they put on a new tire and my car was ready to go about 2 hours after it arrived at the Service Center.

Reactions: DCGOO
Hi @2020,

It's a low likelihood I would change it by myself... But
I purchased a Modernspare.
They are available on Amazon..
Depending on your spend amount - You get a jack, cover,
and the "Extra $ Ring" in case it needs to be used
for a rear (offset) tire.

I visit too many weird places where Roadside Assistance would not be practical.

Last year south of Wichita, it took a day and a half to get a tire
for my other car that did not have a spare...
It fouled up my vacation pretty good too...
I now have a spare for that car and the Model X.

Modern Spare.jpg

It fits nicely over seats 6 and 7.

Good luck,

Shawn

So you just called mobile service and they sent a guy over? I'll try that since I got a flat today!