Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a little less than two months after receiving the car, I had a flat. Luckily, I was close to home so I was able to drive it into my backyard. Since there's no spare and being Sunday, I decided to call a fairly large tire company and was able to get the exact tire as per spec to arrive the next day. Monday rolls around and I called my insurance company and they are sending someone to change the tire, the guy calls and says you have the spare and I said I have the tire, No rim? Nope. So, he can't change it since there's no rim so I called insurance again and long story short they can't find an approve shop that can change a Tesla Model X tire. Why not? So I called Tesla Road Side Assistance and a flat bed comes and takes the car and the new tire. Unfortunately, the tire is the same BUT does not have the foam in the middle to buffer the noise so now I'm out 300 bucks for a tire that is useless and I have to pay for the new tire as well. Long story short again, I should have called Tesla first. Whatever. Hope I can return the unused tire.

Coulda just jacked the car up, taken the wheel off and had any old tire shop mount the new tire.

They woulda transferred the foam strip for you, too. Probably for $25 (what my tire shop charges) including free rotations and balances.

But better yet, it's highly likely you could have plugged the leak on Sunday. For the money you'd saved you'd have a nifty air compressor.

Thanks for the replies. looks like the tire needed to go to the shop so it can be mounted to the rim. Tesla DS said they can't transfer the foam strip but I will remember that the next time. The gash is pretty big, I don't think it could have been plugged. Looks like a knife stab wound to me.