Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat towing MX behind RV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars that can be flat towed have some method to lubricate the differential. In a stick shift, it's splash lube of gear oil from the turning shaft. In an automatic that is approved for flat towing, the transaxle has a rear pump that is driven off of the output shaft, so towing it runs the pump.

Honestly flat towing adds normal wear and tear even when the differential is lubricated; a tow dolly is much cheaper in the long run.

Some of the Saturns are great choices for flat towing because they are cheap, light, and have the rear pump.

Flat towing a tesla even if it had lubrication would wear the drive unit. It's not a wise choice.

Nate
We flat tow an automatic Jeep rubicon
It has a transfer case, and when you put
transfer case in neutral, the Jeep just free wheels.

Or you could just use a car hauler trailer towed behind your motor home. That's what I do with my Model S.

It takes a few minutes longer to load/unload, but I've found the benefits include better mpg towing (my average mpg when from ~7 to 8mpg on my diesel pusher), the ability to back up, better protection and less wear and tear on my Model S.

When you say 1mpg better with a trailer, what’s that in comparison to?

I have a 4 door 1/2 ton Ram I flat tow. And I’ve pulled my Mercedes E550 on my 22’ aluminum flatbed. Can’t say I’ve noticed much if any difference in fuel mileage. This is with a 43’ tandem axle diesel.

With my flatbed I’m right at 70’ long. The same or slightly longer than a typical 18 wheeler. No problem going down the road, but limits the campsite possibilities.

I do agree not being able to back up a flat tow vehicle is a major pita. But I’m hitched and rolling in about 3 minutes (literally). No way you can load the trailer and tie the car down that fast.

When you say 1mpg better with a trailer, what’s that in comparison to?

I have a 4 door 1/2 ton Ram I flat tow. And I’ve pulled my Mercedes E550 on my 22’ aluminum flatbed. Can’t say I’ve noticed much if any difference in fuel mileage. This is with a 43’ tandem axle diesel.

With my flatbed I’m right at 70’ long. The same or slightly longer than a typical 18 wheeler. No problem going down the road, but limits the campsite possibilities.

I do agree not being able to back up a flat tow vehicle is a major pita. But I’m hitched and rolling in about 3 minutes (literally). No way you can load the trailer and tie the car down that fast.

I've noticed an almost +1mpg gain in comparison to flat towing a Honda Pilot on a 20' flat bed with my 40' single rear axle Cummins 350 Diesel coach. YMMV. And yes, as I said, it takes a few minutes longer, but I feel it's worth it for the benefits cited. Again, YMMV.

I agree that the total length limits the campsite possibilities. IMO, that's the biggest disadvantage.

Are either of you guy's full timing? I will be in 2.5 years. At that point I think there will be some variant of a electric class A
Winnebago is already making one but not for the rv world.

I am sure for me it will be a Diesel pusher flat towing a Jeep. But would love to have a all electric rig at some point.

Are either of you guy's full timing? I will be in 2.5 years. At that point I think there will be some variant of a electric class A

I am sure for me it will be a Diesel pusher flat towing a Jeep. But would love to have a all electric rig at some point.

No, but if you're really interested in a all-electric solution there are some folks that posted awhile back about towing an Airstream trailer behind a Model X. I recall that it cut their mileage roughly in half, but with the expanding supercharger network, it's definitely doable.

This is our setup. Just a note. We know a few people that tow their gas powered smart cars 4 down. All of them have lots of road wear as the coach kicks stuff up and the car wears it. Our Electric smart has just as many miles but is in excellent shape. Its not that much higher but seems to fair better. Takes about 6 or 7 minutes to strap it down. The biggest advantage...I can back up...its a trailer. You can't back up a car being towed 4 down.

39584071945_83422046d4_c.jpg

The EVSE mounted in front cabinet.

30899829046_fa9c7c1344_c.jpg

38322702145_636bc36ff3_c.jpg

Reactions: ohmman
Nice setup ....is it possible to charge to smart car from alternator while your diving the rv?

Not that I know of, or that I have heard of. We are actually planning for it’s replacement down the road, maybe a couple years. We were originally thinking something like the model 3 or even the Y but the trade war with the US has ended that. The next version of the model BMW i3 could be a contender but info is spotty at best on what it’s future is. We really like the car and a working 300 kilometre range would be more than adequate (if the do that). The dimensions are not huge but would still require going to a dual axle trailer. In the meantime we’ll stick with the smart. Lotsa fun, convertible, still kind of a head turner.

I've noticed an almost +1mpg gain in comparison to flat towing a Honda Pilot on a 20' flat bed with my 40' single rear axle Cummins 350 Diesel coach. YMMV. And yes, as I said, it takes a few minutes longer, but I feel it's worth it for the benefits cited. Again, YMMV.

I agree that the total length limits the campsite possibilities. IMO, that's the biggest disadvantage.

I’m running a 450hp Cummins, so bigger motor and bigger coach all around, probably not impacted as much by the weight or drag difference. Next trip out I’ll probably take the trailer again and really pay attention to the mileage.

There are DEFINITELY pros and cons to both methods, after having done both quite a bit, I would say the Trailer method is preferable, IF you have the room. (Typically I don’t in the places I go) Being a truck driver years ago, it absolutely kills me not being able to back up when flat towing.

I’m not, only 45 atm, hope to go mostly full time in about 10 yrs.

The “full time size” equivalent electric motorhome is probably a long way out yet. Basically it’s going to need the tech they are working on in the electric semis, since a big 40’ class coach is running mostly the same equipment. But I do think once electric semis are out and successful, a coach soon follow.

(Yes, I know you CAN full time in a 22’ class C, but most are doing it in 40’+ diesel pushers)

Not that I know of, or that I have heard of. We are actually planning for it’s replacement down the road, maybe a couple years. We were originally thinking something like the model 3 or even the Y but the trade war with the US has ended that. The next version of the model BMW i3 could be a contender but info is spotty at best on what it’s future is. We really like the car and a working 300 kilometre range would be more than adequate (if the do that). The dimensions are not huge but would still require going to a dual axle trailer. In the meantime we’ll stick with the smart. Lotsa fun, convertible, still kind of a head turner.
would you consider switching to the new MCI J4500e as an RV replacement? :D

https://ngtnews.com/all-electric-j4500e-motor-coach-testing-goes-off-without-a-hitch