Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tyre

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After much head scratching, wife and I have figured that the last tyre problem we had (in a full size car*) was 19 years ago and quarter million km - so, I don't carry a spare.

Touch wood - quick!

But I think I agree with you. I might put my BMW experience down to just plain bad luck. Anyway, I have four spare Tesla tyres so at a pinch all I need is a jack and a tow bar when I go on a longer road trip.

The Tesla jack points aren't really anything that special, any bottle jack would do fine for a portable solution.

Good luck finding a bottle Jack that will fit under the car. I use a Repco trolley Jack which I carry together with a full size Tesla spare and rim, breaker bar and torque wrench in my froot. I have made up some wedges and hardwood timber slat to spread the load from the bearing disc of the Jack. I have used it successfully on the car six times, when I installed my alloygators. This includes replacing two damaged gators.

Good luck finding a bottle Jack that will fit under the car. I use a Repco trolley Jack which I carry together with a full size Tesla spare and rim, breaker bar and torque wrench in my froot. I have made up some wedges and hardwood timber slat to spread the load from the bearing disc of the Jack. I have used it successfully on the car six times, when I installed my alloygators. This includes replacing two damaged gators.
The bottle jack that came with my Mitsubishi fit under the Tesla, but I've since sold that vehicle so I can't tell you what exactly it was. I don't see any reason to carry a jack in the Tesla, so I don't. I carry a compressor and a tire patch kit. I have yet to use them on the Tesla, but I have used the patch kit 4 times on previous vehicles, and twice on my wife's car, I've never used a spare tire.

As the vast majority of punctures can be fixed quickly and easily with a patch kit and compressor (both faster, and easier than changing a tire), there's no good reason to carry a spare on a regular basis. There are however exceptions. If you are going somewhere without cellular coverage, with limited services, and little traffic, especially on bad roads, I'd carry one. Heck when I drove the Dempster highway I carried two!

When I write **** it gets scrubbed but no one has an issue with the word 'heck'? ;)

Yep, the software that supports this Forum is able to remove bad words but the interpretation of what is a bad word can be configured by the Senior Forum Administration who are mainly in America. This caused some concern during a local discussion about advertising when people were discussing 'that' Toyota Hilux advert. The use of the featured word in that add has a much worse meaning in America.

Back on topic, I have purchased the Tesla air compressor and Tyre goop kit and am considering one of those puncture kits on eBay. Seems a shame to lose most of the 'Frunk' space for a spare tyre etc.

375px-Dempsterhighway.jpg

I'd carry one. Heck when I drove the Dempster highway I carried two!

Now that's one road trip to put on your bucket list - and in a MS to boot!

Yep, the software that supports this Forum is able to remove bad words but the interpretation of what is a bad word can be configured by the Senior Forum Administration who are mainly in America. This caused some concern during a local discussion about advertising when people were discussing 'that' Toyota Hilux advert. The use of the featured word in that add has a much worse meaning in America.

Back on topic, I have purchased the Tesla air compressor and Tyre goop kit and am considering one of those puncture kits on eBay. Seems a shame to lose most of the 'Frunk' space for a spare tyre etc.
I strongly recommend one of the plug kits, much better than the goop, handle larger holes, and are effectively a permanent fix (you can go and get it professionally repaired afterwards, but I've never bothered, and the patches have always outlasted the tires.)
An added note, the goop can damage TPMS sensors, and can be a pain for the tire shop to clean out, the plugs don't have that problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that's one road trip to put on your bucket list - and in a MS to boot!
Nah, that trip was in a Delica. in an MS would be quite the challenge! (I think you'd need a towable generator, the distance between electrical outlets is about 370km, and it isn't exactly tarmac (the reason for 2 spares is that the road is made out of local rocks that are very jagged and sharp, it's known for chewing up side-walls, luckily I had no issues) For that matter, just getting to the start of it in an MS would be quite the challenge.

Any chance you could post a photo of your setup, including the wedges and slats?

- - - Updated - - -

I strongly recommend one of the plug kits, much better than the goop, handle larger holes, and are effectively a permanent fix (you can go and get it professionally repaired afterwards, but I've never bothered, and the patches have always outlasted the tires.)
An added note, the goop can damage TPMS sensors, and can be a pain for the tire shop to clean out, the plugs don't have that problem.

Do you have a link to one of those plug kits? - I've never heard of them myself, but they sound like a good idea.

Wouldn't/couldn't it be possible to whack and dent the car quite easily?

I could see how you 'might' be angle the front wheels as such but not the rear...a puncher repair on a rear tire sounds really difficult when on the car.

Anyone got a youtube video link? All the ones I've found remove the wheel.

-ECIT

If you can see the screw or nail head, then you grab it with pliers and remove it, and using the insertion tool and adhesive provided in the kit shove in the patch. Pretty much what a tyre shop does anyway. Difference is, some are not safe/ legal to repair, mainly those very near the sidewall or in the sidewall. I will take photos of my setup in due course and publish them here.

Yes and if you can’t see the puncture, you’ll need a spray bottle of very soapy water to spray over the visible area of tread looking for small bubbles. Without a jack - assuming the tire is still inflated enough to move the car - inch the car forward or back to expose more of the tread & repeat spray until the bubbles are located. If the tyre is already deflated, a jack will obviously be needed.

Living in the country, a spare is necessary ! Who wants to wait half a day on the side of the road for the Tesla ranger ? Query ? Does anyone on the forum know whether steel rims (19") are available ? I cannot see the point of installing an expensive alloy wheel, with tyre on, in the frunk/froot (85RWD) when (touch wood) it will likely never be called upon !