Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Fleet Speed" (mis-)feature in 2019.8.6+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rnortman

Aug 31, 2017
Earth
I haven't seen this posted yet so I thought I'd share what I just learned from Tesla support. I've been going back and forth with them about the fact that ever since upgrading to 2019.8.6 my car will just suddenly slam on the brakes when passing an exit because it thinks the speed limit has dropped to 25mph (it thinks I'm on the exit rather than flying past it). Turns out that according to them, this is not a bug, it's a feature. Here it is straight from the horse's mouth:

I have been reviewing your vehicles logs remotely for the timestamp you have provided our team. It appears that after review the cause of your vehicle slowing down at certain locations is due to a new feature that was introduced in the latest firmware (2019.8.6) called Fleet Speed. This is currently normal operation for Autosteer and TACC while activated and as our fleet collects more data the functionally will become smoother overtime with firmware updates. I have included below, some more information about how the new Fleet Speed feature works. Feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fleet Speeds helps to slow down the car to an appropriate speed when entering and exiting highways or driving on interchanges when Autosteer or TACC is active. Speed will be reduced to the average speed of the Tesla fleet on that road section, but will not exceed the speed limit set by the driver. The set speed on the UI will be reduced in increments of 5 mph or 10 km/h rounded up to match the average fleet speed, though speed will not drop below 25 mph or 40 km/h. As long as Fleet Speeds is active, an animation of the circle around the set speed value will be shown on the instrument cluster.

Entering highways (on-ramp)
  • Fleet Speeds might slow the car down (depending on current set speed), speed can change dynamically similar to how the fleet reported speed changes
  • Once the car is on the highway, it will accelerate back to the previous set speed.

Exiting highways (off-ramp)
  • Fleet Speeds might slow the car down (depending on current set speed), speed can change dynamically similar to how the fleet reported speed changes
  • If the driver wants to change the set speed using the stalk, Fleet Speeds will stop updating the set speed but still limit the driving speed to fleet speeds
  • Upon leaving the exit, Fleet Speeds will be actively controlling the speed for at least 100 m (110 yd) up to 2 km (1.2 mi) until the next road speed limit is detected
  • Fleet Speeds becomes inactive when either the new detected speed limit is set, or the previous set speed is restored.

Fleet Speeds can't be deactivated but depends on the availability on maps data of the fleet's average speed.

I especially like that note at the end that it can't be deactivated it, as they clearly anticipated my next question.

This is ridiculous. They are going to get me in an accident because of this "feature". I have asked to be downgraded until they either fix the bug or give me a way to disable it. Let's see what they say.

Aah, that is why the car sometimes drives 90 while the speedlimit is 100 on straights. I have this not only on on/off-ramps but also on for example T intersections connecting to another highway and also with multilane merges.

I haven't seen this posted yet so I thought I'd share what I just learned from Tesla support. I've been going back and forth with them about the fact that ever since upgrading to 2019.8.6 my car will just suddenly slam on the brakes when passing an exit because it thinks the speed limit has dropped to 25mph (it thinks I'm on the exit rather than flying past it). Turns out that according to them, this is not a bug, it's a feature. Here it is straight from the horse's mouth:

I have been reviewing your vehicles logs remotely for the timestamp you have provided our team. It appears that after review the cause of your vehicle slowing down at certain locations is due to a new feature that was introduced in the latest firmware (2019.8.6) called Fleet Speed. This is currently normal operation for Autosteer and TACC while activated and as our fleet collects more data the functionally will become smoother overtime with firmware updates. I have included below, some more information about how the new Fleet Speed feature works. Feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fleet Speeds helps to slow down the car to an appropriate speed when entering and exiting highways or driving on interchanges when Autosteer or TACC is active. Speed will be reduced to the average speed of the Tesla fleet on that road section, but will not exceed the speed limit set by the driver. The set speed on the UI will be reduced in increments of 5 mph or 10 km/h rounded up to match the average fleet speed, though speed will not drop below 25 mph or 40 km/h. As long as Fleet Speeds is active, an animation of the circle around the set speed value will be shown on the instrument cluster.

• Once the car is on the highway, it will accelerate back to the previous set speed.

• If the driver wants to change the set speed using the stalk, Fleet Speeds will stop updating the set speed but still limit the driving speed to fleet speeds
  • Upon leaving the exit, Fleet Speeds will be actively controlling the speed for at least 100 m (110 yd) up to 2 km (1.2 mi) until the next road speed limit is detected
  • Fleet Speeds becomes inactive when either the new detected speed limit is set, or the previous set speed is restored.

Fleet Speeds can't be deactivated but depends on the availability on maps data of the fleet's average speed.

I especially like that note at the end that it can't be deactivated it, as they clearly anticipated my next question.

This is ridiculous. They are going to get me in an accident because of this "feature". I have asked to be downgraded until they either fix the bug or give me a way to disable it. Let's see what they say.
If you get an answer at all it's going to be not possible.

Getting absolutely sick of this kind of stuff.

They need to give people a way to disable "features" especially with TACC.

With TACC I simply want a very basic adaptive cruise control. I don't need it to decide what speed I should be going if there isn't anyone in front of me

Just do the speed I tell you to go if you can, and leave the rest to me.

Getting absolutely sick of this kind of stuff.

They need to give people a way to disable "features" especially with TACC.

With TACC I simply want a very basic adaptive cruise control. I don't need it to decide what speed I should be going if there isn't anyone in front of me

Just do the speed I tell you to go if you can, and leave the rest to me.

This might be the safest path for Tesla to get you to where you want to be...

This explains my own experience with TACC decelerating dangerously near interstate-to-interstate junctions.

What a dumb algorithm. At least they should modify it to be relative rather than absolute to respect a driver's particular style. That is, if a driver is traveling X mph different than "average speed of the Tesla fleet" when "fleet speed" is not in effect, it should limit the speed to X + "fleet speed" when "fleet speed" is in effect. (Where X could be positive or negative).

What other life threatening algorithm decisions will Tesla thrust onto drivers of its cars without warning or ability to override?

Last edited:
What other life threatening algorithm decisions will Tesla thrust onto drivers of its cars without warning or ability to override?
Sometimes it seems they forget they aren't programming for phones or games consoles, peoples lives are a stake here, any change that alters the behaviour of the car so drastically should be communicated better and definitely should be an 'opt in' option.

...snip...I have asked to be downgraded until they either fix the bug or give me a way to disable it. Let's see what they say.
"sorry - no can do"
that's what they say to downgrades. Been there, done that. You'd have to find a member here savvy enough to do it for you - as there are some that have that kind of capability. You may have to drive >1,000 miles, & they'd be w/in their rights to soak you for the privilege. After learning the hard way - we NEVER let upgrades happen anymore - until after we see if there's any fallout.
Note to self, when we see a upgrade notification come through....don't do it, LOL.
if you give the ok for the upgrade to happen immediately, then start up & go driving around right as it tries to start - & you go driving for ~15 minutes - it prevents updates from happening until you return to the SC .... where they'll do it anyway - even if you say do NOT update. We stay away from the SC now.
;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MMC- and rnortman

So the secondary cause is fleet speed, but the primary cause is thinking you are taking the ramp?
I hope the system is smart enough to avoid a feedback loop where the speed stays the same because that is speed the majority of Teslas drive because that is the speed that is set...