Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Fleet Speed" (mis-)feature in 2019.8.6+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not in my case but even still, the driver should have an ability to turn that off and be in complete control of that decision making.

Jeff
It is annoying since every day at that spot, I actually have to use the accelerator for a few seconds to keep the speed closer to 55 mph instead of only 50 mph. Fortunately, that's the only spot where I have the problem. In the past, I used to notice something similar when passing an off-ramp. TACC would automatically decrease the speed even though I didn't take the off-ramp.

I have had a case open with Tesla for a long time on this lunacy. But what I've found is that my HW2.5 Model S will slow down (thinking it's on an exit) on a particular stretch of highway -- almost every time I drive it -- but my HW2.5 Model 3 cruises right on by those same stretches without ever slowing down. This has persisted through multiple software versions. So far Tesla has no explanation, but it seems like either the GPS in Model S's is less accurate, or the GPS in my Model S is less accurate. In intend to keep pushing until they figure it out; anybody else seeing anything like this?

I have had a case open with Tesla for a long time on this lunacy. But what I've found is that my HW2.5 Model S will slow down (thinking it's on an exit) on a particular stretch of highway -- almost every time I drive it -- but my HW2.5 Model 3 cruises right on by those same stretches without ever slowing down. This has persisted through multiple software versions. So far Tesla has no explanation, but it seems like either the GPS in Model S's is less accurate, or the GPS in my Model S is less accurate. In intend to keep pushing until they figure it out; anybody else seeing anything like this?
Do they both have the exact same map load version?

For those reporting "Fleet Speed" issues...is it possibly related to construction? Every day on my drive to work, there's a spot where the lanes are realigned due to construction. Normally in that spot, my speed is set to 60 mph but TACC automatically drops it down to 50 mph for half a mile and then automatically bumps back up to 60 mph.

No, for me it always happens at offramps that have been there for many years without any nearby construction.
To be honest I’m surprised this is still not fixed yet, especially in AP1 cars like mine that aren’t even capable of NoA.

Do they both have the exact same map load version?

Yes.

I kept a detailed log this week and some days drove my S and some days drove the 3. Same SW version and maps, same commute, same times of day/traffic. I took a total of 9 trips in the S and had 9 occurrences of the car getting confused about the speed limit and changing my TACC set point. I took 8 trips in the 3 and had 0 occurrences. Zero. 9/9 and 0/8. I'm sending my journal to Tesla. We'll see what they say... but either the S is inferior across the board or my particular S has a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Meanwhile we are all annoying drivers behind us who see our brake lights illuminate near offramps/onramps (high likelihood locations for police speed traps) for no apparent reason. Then they slow down thinking we must all have radar detectors in our fancy Teslas. I don’t.

Yes.

I kept a detailed log this week and some days drove my S and some days drove the 3. Same SW version and maps, same commute, same times of day/traffic. I took a total of 9 trips in the S and had 9 occurrences of the car getting confused about the speed limit and changing my TACC set point. I took 8 trips in the 3 and had 0 occurrences. Zero. 9/9 and 0/8. I'm sending my journal to Tesla. We'll see what they say... but either the S is inferior across the board or my particular S has a problem.
Interesting. My Model S has consistently dropped the speed from 60 mph to 50 mph and then back up to 60 mph for over a year due to construction on my route. I'll have to take the Model 3 on my commute route one of these days and see if I have the same issue as with the Model S or if it works as yours does.

Interesting. My Model S has consistently dropped the speed from 60 mph to 50 mph and then back up to 60 mph for over a year due to construction on my route. I'll have to take the Model 3 on my commute route one of these days and see if I have the same issue as with the Model S or if it works as yours does.

Please report back! I really want to know if this is a universal problem with the S or if it's just mine. Though, I'm not sure which answer I'm rooting for...

My is is a late-2017 HW2.5 vintage btw. One of the first batch of HW2.5 cars.

So after literally a year of fighting Tesla on this and methodically gathering data that shows there is a clear difference between my 2017Q3 Model S (MCU1/HW2.5) and my 2018Q3 model 3 (MCU2/HW2.5), they finally determined that the difference is absolutely there but that the Model S is functioning as designed because they were able to reproduce it on another Model S of similar vintage and hardware configuration.

I intend to fight this through arbitration, but we have here confirmation that yes, there is truly a difference in Autopilot performance between these different generations. I'm not sure if it has to do with GPS accuracy or what, but Tesla has admitted that the older cars have buggy Fleet Speed "by design".

If anybody has tips for me on how to handle the arbitration I'd appreciate it.

So after literally a year of fighting Tesla on this and methodically gathering data that shows there is a clear difference between my 2017Q3 Model S (MCU1/HW2.5) and my 2018Q3 model 3 (MCU2/HW2.5), they finally determined that the difference is absolutely there but that the Model S is functioning as designed because they were able to reproduce it on another Model S of similar vintage and hardware configuration.

I intend to fight this through arbitration, but we have here confirmation that yes, there is truly a difference in Autopilot performance between these different generations. I'm not sure if it has to do with GPS accuracy or what, but Tesla has admitted that the older cars have buggy Fleet Speed "by design".

If anybody has tips for me on how to handle the arbitration I'd appreciate it.

I have same issue on couple spots in my daily commute with my late 2018 MX 75D. I don’t have a M3 to compare. After reading your posts, my guess is this could be an issue with S/X. Not sure if this happens in Raven cars.

• Informative
Reactions: rnortman
I wish Fleet Speed was only based on cars that were not stuck behind other cars (which bring down the average). My Navigate on Autopilot takes off ramps nicely but then starts slowing down way too much; I have to use the accelerator to keep from becoming annoying or dangerous.

Reactions: SlyWombat