Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fleet vehicle- new with 50 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should be at least a $2-3k discount. Problem with “demo” cars is you generally cannot see or inspect them prior to delivery. But, you still have 7 days to return if you aren’t happy.

I just picked up a 2019 P3D demo but it was actually a car used by Tesla engineering...not a showroom vehicle. It had 1650 miles on it and was surprisingly in like new shape when I received it (aside from tires as it was used for Track Mode development LOL). Big discount.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Should be at least a $2-3k discount. Problem with “demo” cars is you generally cannot see or inspect them prior to delivery. But, you still have 7 days to return if you aren’t happy.

I just picked up a 2019 P3D demo but it was actually a car used by Tesla engineering...not a showroom vehicle. It had 1650 miles on it and was surprisingly in like new shape when I received it (aside from tires as it was used for Track Mode development LOL). Big discount.
How much of a discount?

No, but demo cars with FSD tend to be the most ripe for discounts because you can delete FSD for another $7K off.

mine is a 2019 P3D+ white/white. An added surprise was free Homelink (wasn’t on the purchase agreement) even though the car was manufactured after they stopped including it.
You did get a good deal. FSD is a waste on money as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: TypeRx
Tesla would not discount that car by that much. They have been roughly discounting $1 per mile. Unless something has changed lately.

Umm yeah, you are right.....not to mention there were folks getting $10K-nearly $30K discounts on new demo/fleet model X and S in Q4 2019 (with just a few hundred miles to <1500 miles on them).The deals are out there, but it takes a combination of effort and luck to find them. If you have a great SA that helps too (although my SA has never found me a deal).The $1/mile mantra appears to be standard....find the outlier and then pounce.

Tesla Showroom Deals (now defunct) tried to take advantage of this and helped secure some great deals. I subscribed to their service Q4 2019 (when buying an X) but ended up not finding any discount. They don't exist any longer but the deals still do.

Other thing I'll mention is that I also had a 2020 P3D+ (Black/White) on order that was discounted almost $3500. It was a demo with 300 miles on it. This was in mid-March. I canceled that order and went for the 2019 instead due to the discount.

Attachments

• P3D.png
    P3D.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Reactions: lUtriaNt
It should be discounted and will likely have curb rash or some other slight visual wear and tear hence the discount.

Not necessarily, but whatever. The thing that stinks about buying a demo is that you don’t get to see the car prior to delivery. But then again, you don’t with factory-new cars either and we all know that with Tesla’s a defect here or there is kinda or for the course :D

oh, and FYI, Tesla has been known to repair curb rash, rock chips, and other damage on demo (and new inventory cars) as long as they are identified at delivery (and perhaps in the trial 7 day/100 mike period)

Last edited:
If you go to pick your car up at a delivery center, which was the normal process for most Teslas sold before Covid, you got to inspect the car before signing any paperwork. Therefore you signed paperwork after being given the opportunity to take in the car in its as is state. At least in California that is how it works. You don’t sign any paperwork until seeing the car. Once paperwork is signed the car becomes used (there is a non-dealer registered owner on file) and the value drops so it is in Tesla’s interest to have cars rejected before paperwork is signed so they can get more money as a new car when they have to sell it again.

And if there wasn’t anything wrong with it, they wouldn’t discount it. A $2-3k discount for 150 miles is unheard of unless there is something wrong with it. The discounts are usually equal to what it would cost to repair or replace what is wrong plus a roughly $1 per mile discount. Take mine for example. 1520 miles is $1500 off. I got $2760. Where is the other $1260? If you were to buy a new wheel and 2 tires (so they have equal wear) it would likely come out to $1200 from Tesla. Pretty simple math.

Your $10k discount for 1600 miles is because of the excess stress put on a car In track testing mode. Lots more horizontal stresses on steering and suspension components along with extreme wear and tear on driveline. You got a great deal but the wear on your car is equivalent to over 5,000 regular miles and the car was priced accordingly.

Reactions: SlimJim
I got a huge discount
Umm yeah, you are right.....not to mention there were folks getting $10K-nearly $30K discounts on new demo/fleet model X and S in Q4 2019 (with just a few hundred miles to <1500 miles on them).The deals are out there, but it takes a combination of effort and luck to find them. If you have a great SA that helps too (although my SA has never found me a deal).The $1/mile mantra appears to be standard....find the outlier and then pounce.

Tesla Showroom Deals (now defunct) tried to take advantage of this and helped secure some great deals. I subscribed to their service Q4 2019 (when buying an X) but ended up not finding any discount. They don't exist any longer but the deals still do.

Other thing I'll mention is that I also had a 2020 P3D+ (Black/White) on order that was discounted almost $3500. It was a demo with 300 miles on it. This was in mid-March. I canceled that order and went for the 2019 instead due to the discount.

I bought my MS 100D in Q4 2019 got a great discount and am about to use the $3750 tax credit.

More to the topic - My 50 mile "Fleet Vehicle" was delivered to my house with around 31 miles on it. It is about half that to the service center so although the MVPA says 50 miles mine probably had around 15 when I actually bought it.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and TypeRx