TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FleetCarma Is there a downside?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by TM3blu, Oct 16, 2019.

1. TM3blu

TM3blu Member

Got an invite from my power company (SRP) to join there data collection group. Charging data will be collected and stored. Data can be viewed on an APP. They use an OBD device, thru a Tesla adaptor.
    Via the C2 hardware device, FleetCarma will collect information about:
    • Charging session duration, energy consumption and location.
    • GPS charging location coordinates will be used to determine how much charging is occurring within the SRP service territory. We only collect GPS information when you are charging, not when you are driving.
    • Trip duration, energy consumption and distance traveled.
    The reward is $110 incentive for 12 months of participation.
    Is anyone using a similar service? Is there a downside?

• Like x 1
  2. Perscitus

Perscitus Member

A few off the top:

-Parasitic/vampire drain from having C2 plugged in at all times (read the fine print re unplugging count and duration to remain in the program)

-Extent of info you agree to have collected (goes far beyond charging stats as hinted at above, dont believe the marketing bs and legalese cta wording)

-potential for CAN bus gremlin introduction from C2 device (effects can range from benign to outright dangerous)

I opted out before ever plugging in.

• Informative x 2
  3. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

I'm 8 months into the program. Just got my second 50$ participation reward. For me it's not really been a big deal - it's really a set it and forget it situation. The one downside is installing the thing - it does take a bit of fooling with wiring that's not in the most accessible location, but if you're up for that, it's no big deal.

4. TM3blu

TM3blu Member

Thanks for the response. Have there been any negatives with the car? I'd like to try it for the free data.

5. KG2V

KG2V Member

I haven't had any issues, and the first two months saved $273. (Includes the "install it" incentive and the incentives for not charging 2-6pm in the summer)

6. BobK_NY

BobK_NY Member

I enrolled in the program in Jan or Feb 2019. I get an average cashback reward of $50/month (in the form of a gift card credit). I drive on average about 1200 miles/mth. My "very casual" observation of the "extra electric energy costs" of charging my model 3 AWD car is aprox $60/month. So... my net monthly vehicle energy charging cost is about $10/month to drive about 1,200 miles. I am very happy with the program.

7. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

The only issue I've had with my car is my 12v battery died, back in July I think. I don't know if it was related to this device or not, but it does draw a bit of power at all times, which may have contributed to the problem. Tesla replaced the battery for free, but I removed the device while they did this, just in case it came up. I also have a dashcam that draws a bit all the time, so it's possible the combination did the trick. Or maybe it was just a bad battery.

8. vickh

vickh Active Member

How old was the battery?

Just curious if any of the USBs not use 12V power all the time. Maybe plug dashcam on those (unless you want to record while car's off?)

• Like x 1
  9. klezmerman

klezmerman New Member

I've had fleetcarma for a few months now and prior to that it was on my plug-in hybrid. No issues and no problems and the amount of data you get is great. It is a bit tricky to install but the directions and video are clear and easy to follow.

10. TM3blu

TM3blu Member

Thank you all for your input. I'm looking forward to trying this out.

11. skytool

skytool New Member

I live in Westchester,New York and am interested to enroll smartcharge program, However, regarding the bonus for "not charging 2-6pm in the summer peak hour", does it apply if I charge in supercharge station or at home only?
    If it does apply to supercharge station, I assume I can still ear bonux if I use supercharge station that is outside Westerchestsr/NYC area?

12. skytool

skytool New Member

Typo, I mean 'earn bonus'