TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fleetcarma

Discussion in 'Model X' started by KLsalt, Jul 7, 2017.

1. KLsalt

KLsalt Member

I was looking around the ConEd site and noticed they have a smartcharge NY program where they want to install a fleetcarma device to monitor your charging and usage. Anyone have experience with this program?

2. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

No experience with this particular program, but I do participate in a different program here in Canada with fleetcarma...they are an excellent group of folks whose work is very a important catalyst to the future of mass adoption of Electric Vehicles.

• Like x 1
  3. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

I just signed up, received the little thingy to attach to my S, and promptly went away camping for a month with the car parked. The program documentation says you can get all sorts of detailed information about what your car is doing, but I haven't logged in to check the one day of driving that I did with the doohickey installed.

Note that your car's GPS information will also be tracked by Fleetcarma... so, those of you with life parts to hide maybe think twice!

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Be sure this device actually works with Teslas if you want to get logging data from Fleetcarma. The Tesla OBD port only supplies power, not data, unless they have some special arrangement or something has changed. I assume they expect the usual data of what the car is doing to be supplied to the device (from what I see in looking at how their device works from documents I find on the web...).

GPS tracking probably comes from the device itself, so that should definitely work.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

While the device itself has an OBD II plug, they give you a little dongle if you say you have a Tesla. The dongle connects to the proprietary connector behind the center cubby and the FleetCarma device plugs into that. Works great.

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Excellent, glad to see there's an answer for Tesla!

7. Ugliest1

Yup, what he said. I checked today and my one day of around-town driving and a little bit of charging was recorded and I have access to more information than I had before (e.g., all trip and charging info).

Lots of changes to Model S internals ... the install video from Fleetcarma into the OBD II plug (behind the cubby under the central screen) is either woefully out of date or current cars have a lot more space in there. In my car, there's no place to put the FC device, it won't quite fit through the plastic holes behind the cubby. The video shows lots of room, in fact no hard plastic backing at all IIRC.

8. Mine GO BOOM

Mine GO BOOM Member

What is the vampiric battery drain of this device? I stopped using teslalog.com specifically because of that (around 10-15 miles/day), but that polled the car instead of aggregating and then pushing clumped data like this device (hopefully) does.

9. Ugliest1

I don't know (yet?). I installed the device, drove for one day, then headed out for a month of camping (not in the S). Won't get back to it until August.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

#10 mknox, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    It fit fine in my early 2013. Although the cubby would not fully detach as shown in the video... it would only swing down when the front clips release. Mine seemed to be lined with "felt" on the top side of the cubby. I just tucked everything inside and swung the cubby back into place and it worked great. It's snug enough that there are no rattles either.

I was worried about this too, but it doesn't seemed to have made any material difference to my already high vampire drain. Probably the same as a permanently connected dash cam (which I also have).

EDIT: Just realized this is in the Model X section of the forums. My comments are specific to a Model S. The Model X cubby may be different.

11. Ugliest1

Oops me too, S.

12. KLsalt

KLsalt Member

I just had it install today. It's seem to be the same step as S. I'll have to wait and see how the battery drain of this device.