TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Flickering headlight

Discussion in 'Model S' started by WannabeOwner, Dec 11, 2016.

1. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Coming home last night driver-side headlight was flickering - particularly noticeable reflected from surfaces such as large road signs. Seemed to be fine, no flickering, when driving on full beam. I turned auto-dip off.

Not sure, but it did seem a bit like the software was swapping between dip and beam (judging by the pattern that was projected on the surroundings), but might be a loose wire / bulb /?? perhaps? Definitely exacerbated by bumps in the road, but not restricted to just that cause.

Not sure how to test it really, other than to have the MS follow me in another car so I can see what is happening, but I suspect I would also need a passenger in the front car to do the checking, so that would require a three-man-team ...

All suggestions welcome, thanks.

2. WannabeOwner

Per chance repeated same journey yesterday. Drove from 3PM to 4:30PM (Dark here at 4:30PM) and driver's headlight light was flicking very badly. On return journey, 7PM - 8:30PM, properly dark by then, almost no flickering on highway, traffic reasonably heavy so always tail lights in front of vehicle and oncoming headlights on other carriageway. I noticed it on a particularly sharp highway bend with my turn being on the outside, so car would see "less" of other vehicles' tail lights, and even less of oncoming vehicles. The moment I turned off the highway onto rural roads it started again. Even when following another vehicle with tail lights clearly visible and oncoming traffic. Driving through a village with street lights it seemed very confused. I'm fairly sure that this is full-beam toggle coming on; both lights are working normally when stopped, and there is no flicking when on full beam. Toggling Auto Beam and a variety of other things made no difference. Rebooted both screen and dash.

I'll give Tesla a call today and report back.

3. WannabeOwner

Tesla asked me to power-down (in addition to the reboot I had already done).

As it happens I had a software update to 2.50.114 at the same time (around Christmas - i.e. 5 weeks ago) ... the problem went away, thus no idea if it was power-down or update (or something else ...)

I had another update to 2.52.22 on 15-Jan (i.e. 2 weeks ago). All fine (except the issue with Static on Radio when getting back into car, which was fixed several versions ago, has returned). No update notified/installed since.

Two days again problem with headlights started again. This time both headlights and alternating between Dip/Beam continuously, rather than now-and-then as before, so like a stroboscope. Dropping the lights to LEVEL=2 did not prevent annoying on-coming traffic, so had to drive home on side lights. Tried the reboot x2 and power down when I got home, but same thing again last night.

I'll contact Service again and report back.

4. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

My P100D has the problem also they flicker and there is this humming sound coming from the headlights when the headlights aren't being used.

• Like x 1
  5. WannabeOwner

Thanks. Is your "flicker" just a flicker (light a lose fitting bouncing around)? I'm pretty sure mine is toggling between Dim and Beam.

For example, when driving on the highway I see the light off reflecting road signs; from a long way off I see the sign alternatively reflecting and not - the same as if I changed the headlights between beam and dip (i.e. at that long distance from a reflective sign)

This only happens when the headlights are on Dip, and regardless of whether using Auto Beam or Manual Beam

(I'm curious to know if this is "just me", or if there are others :) )