TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Flickering Headlights?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dante, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Dante

Dante Member

So for the last 2 days, it's been a bit on the colder side (approaching -10C) and I park in a covered but not heated garage. (No idea if temp is a contributor). When I turn on the car, as I'm driving out of the parking garage, the headlights start flashing/flickering for a few seconds randomly. First day I thought it was a light in the garage that was going to go bad, but the lights in the garage are not that bright, so I'm fairly certain it's my headlights. Never done this before, but now it's 2 days in a row. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue? (For those that say call service, service is 2hrs away, and it's not exactly easy to schedule appointments when they are M-F 8-4).

Thanks for any advice!

2. kwest2

kwest2 Member

Same the past couple days. Not the first bout of cold here either, but first time I've noticed it.

3. pcons

pcons Active Member

Interesting....I 'thought' I saw this today when summoning the car out of my garage this morning. I didn't think too much of it, but then your post is going to make me look closer next time I do it. It was -8C today, so similar to the temp you reported. For what its worth, it was the front passenger headlight I noticed flickering.

4. beantownrich

beantownrich Member

I had it too, but for me I thought it was cold combined with 2018.50 I submitted a bug report and just assume they'll work this shtuff out eventually.

5. jill

jill Member

The other morning it was -6c. The door handles & charging port flap of Zsa Zsa( my sassy but classy model 3-:)) at first would not open. After about 10 minutes they both functioned. There were no noticeable issues with the headlights; I will check for flickering going forward.

6. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Same here, started on a much colder day than it had been previously. I called service and I'm supposed to hear back from the mobile team shortly. Seems very odd to me as an electrical engineer that this could be a firmware issue...

7. brobinson

brobinson Member

Happened to me for the first time yesterday too! It's definitely been colder this week then it has during winter so far.

8. Dante

Dante Member

Interesting that it seems to be a common issue. Here I was thinking I was alone! Well hopefully this means it’s an OTA fix and not a bring to service to have stuff changed fix... going on day 3 with it happening about 30 seconds after I head on my way back home from work.

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

As a neurophysiologist, I can tell you that random flickering — not a steady frequency — will not induce an epileptic seizure. So you’re safe. :cool: And the thread title is inaccurate...

• Disagree x 1
  10. blake99111

blake99111 Member

I’ve seen similar symptoms in my M3P. On mornings when it’s really cold and less than ~25* F, my low beam lights will flicker for a few minutes, seemingly until things “warm up”

11. Mironski

Mironski Member

Same, headlights blinking for a minute or so when departing, cold weather (-15C). Funny tough trying to do a "Bug Report Headlight blinking" with the voice command to Tesla. Repeated many time before having a good results. The "Québécois" accent is not helping :)

12. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

Same here, not sure if it's good to know or not that I'm not the only one. But it does seem like it could be only after the new 2018.50 firmware.

13. hokiewalrus

hokiewalrus Member

I saw it last night when it was -6 C out but I thought it was my imagination. Now I'm gonna be watching like a hawk for it to happen again.

14. neptunesfinest

Noticed this on mine last night. Just got the 2018.50 update yesterday so it’s probably due to that.

15. Dante

Dante Member

Hahahaha. I was trying to be funny. No epilepsy here ;) But good to know I won't induce seizures in anyone as I leave work.

16. bd7349

bd7349 Member

I believe this is an issue with 2018.50. Mine started flickering right after the update and overall this build of the software has been much more buggy than previous versions. I've had the screen freeze up twice so far this week, prior to 2018.50 it never happened once and I drive a lot so I would've noticed. Hopefully a new update will be pushed next week to fix these issues.

17. sir_log_alot

sir_log_alot Member

Same here, been extra cold here too.

18. McFlurri

McFlurri Member

might as well add my voice to this. Same here on 2018.50. last night!

19. cleveland97

cleveland97 Member

Same here - had the car for almost 4 months and saw this for the first time last night as I was pulling INTO the garage in cold weather.

20. Guest

Guest Member

Last 2 nights I've noticed it pulling into the garage. Pulled out the phone tonight, of course, by the time I got to recording I got about 2 seconds of it then it was fine... I will be reporting it if I see it again.