TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Flickering Headlights?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Dante, Jan 11, 2019.

1. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

i have the issue too. About 15-20F here.

how confident are we that this is a firmware issue and not a problem with the headlight system in very cold weather?

2. Guest

Guest Member

Little to none. It was just my driver side headlight tonight. I don't remember last night, but I will be paying close attention.

3. android04

android04 Member

I've seen the issue twice after letting my car sit outside all night. Headlights "flicker" for a few seconds when I first turn it on. The flicker is more like a shadow moving in the lights, or shutters moving inside the headlights.

I never had this issue before the 2018.50 update. And both times that I had the issue were not very cold days compared to others we've had in my area (both days were probably the 30-40 °F range).

I'm just glad that this doesn't occur while driving, and lasts only a few seconds when I first turn the car on.

4. akidesir

akidesir Member

I too have had this issue when parked outside in the cold for a few hours. Driver side headlight was flickering and also still flickering while driving for the first minute but then goes away. Temperature about negative 7 degrees C here in Toronto.

5. richyrich

richyrich TM3 LR RWD

Seems related to 2018.50 to me. Never had it before but since the upgrade I've had it probably half the times I start up my (garaged) car.

Last night it happened a lot for several seconds while driving out on the road - I have a TeslaCam video just in case the non-believers come out.... Been cold here for months so I don't think it's temperature. I suspect Tesla might need to move on this pretty quickly if it might be considered a safety issue - I imagine the cops would be within their right to ticket someone with malfunctioning headlights?

Does anyone have this issue who isn't on 2018.50?

6. richyrich

richyrich TM3 LR RWD

Managed to create a small GIF of the cam video, for those interested. Not great quality but the flickering is obvious after I pass the intersection at the beginning and continues as I pass cars. None of the light flicker is video artifacts and I wasn't going over rough ground or anything - the lights were literally turning on and off. Worst I've seen.

flicker4.gif

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 1
  7. mekberg

mekberg Member

Seeing this too on 2018.50.

Got out and visibly saw the flickering from the front.

8. bd7349

bd7349 Member

Yeah 2018.50 has been really buggy for me so far. I've never had my lights flicker at temps below zero until this update. In addition to that my display has frozen and rebooted twice in 2 days now. Never happened until the update either. Tons of other little bugs too. Headlights flickering is the worst issue though.

9. MidwestM3P

MidwestM3P Member

This happened on mine the other night as well. Think it was the passenger side, can't remember for sure.

Good news at least from reading these replies is that it hopefully isn't a hardware issue, and is instead a software issue that can be fixed.

10. jkeyser14

jkeyser14 Member

Same issue here. First noticed it a few days ago.

11. electrictorque

Same here, specially with high beams.

12. neptunesfinest

So is this happening while driving or no? I only saw it when I first opened my door and the lights came on.

• Like x 1
  13. richyrich

richyrich TM3 LR RWD

Yes, when driving as well as in the garage. Video above.

14. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Tesla service called me back and confirmed this is a known firmware issue, and they are "working on it".

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. ezevphl

ezevphl Member

I just saw the same over the last couple of days when first getting into the car. Temps around 20something F or -6C.
    Glad I saw the thread before trying to figure this out with service.

16. dipstick1

dipstick1 Member

Same, 17 degrees F , pre heated prior to leaving street parking, after 5 or 6 hundred feet of driving , both headlights flickered for only 5 or so seconds, then fine.

17. SorcererJim

SorcererJim Member

Adding my voice to the chorus... 2018.50, noticed flickering on the passenger side headlight. Thought it was cold temps too, but "glad" it seems like a software thing that can be fixed OTA.

18. dendenyc

dendenyc Member

Count me in, I've been noticing this problem since 2018.50. Headlamps flicker 3 or 4 times when I get in after a long sleep. I've seen this both on and off the charger.

19. Superspectral

Superspectral Member

I've got the flickering too. It is less than 20F, and it was happening. I really have to put on my EE thinking cap about how this is firmware issue. Maybe they can control the max amperage draw for different sub modules and now there isn't enough reserve for the lights? In any case, annoying. They will have to come up with a fix.

20. Intange

Intange New Member

Same issue as everyone else, cold flickering, 2018.50....etc .. Hope it is a bug that can be fixed ota.