Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flickering Headlights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 here. Noticed it today. Happened for a few minutes driving when 10 degrees F. Also noticed a week or so ago when parked overnight and 13. Good to see others having the issue honestly as it is not unique.

+1 here. Noticed it today. Happened for a few minutes driving when 10 degrees F. Also noticed a week or so ago when parked overnight and 13. Good to see others having the issue honestly as it is not unique.

I just came on here to search for that issue. As with you, I'm glad to see I'm not alone. single-digit temps (°F) here yesterday, and I noticed the flickering a few times upon start-up.

Well known issue - Google and you'll find lots of discussion. It's both driving and stationary, might be related to temperatures but more likely a glitch in 2018.50 (it was plenty cold before I got the update and I never had the issue then). Tesla have acknowledged already and will address in a software fix, soon hopefully.

Reactions: krislayman
Add another data point. Happen to me yesterday for the first time upon startup in the morning. It was the coldest weather the Model 3 has seen -2F. It was 17F today and I did not notice it. Car is garage stored. Software 2018.50

Last edited:
I had a case of flickering headlights this morning. First time I’ve noticed it and it happened as I was pulling out of the driveway. They didn’t seem to flicker at the same time, they were out of sync and resolved pretty quickly. I think it was low 20 degrees F if I remember correctly.

I’m also on 2018.50 like many here.

I updated to 2018.50.6 yesterday night. I still got the flickering when I turned on the car to go to work (I work at night). After getting to work I did a reset on the MCU.

This morning after sitting outside all night (it's currently 10°F) it still flickered after turning it on. So it's still not fixed. Not a big deal for me since it always happens within the first minute and I just wait for it to happen before driving away from the parking lot.

I updated to 2018.50.6 yesterday night. I still got the flickering when I turned on the car to go to work (I work at night). After getting to work I did a reset on the MCU.

This morning after sitting outside all night (it's currently 10°F) it still flickered after turning it on. So it's still not fixed. Not a big deal for me since it always happens within the first minute and I just wait for it to happen before driving away from the parking lot.

Same here - updated and flickered the minute I started up. Also got some flickering out on the road. Not ideal. I'm very surprised this hasn't been addressed - I wonder if there are places where driving with flickering lights might be illegal?

I'll add my name to the chorus here. I got back to the airport at 1 am after having been away one week. Bad enough my flight was an hour delayed, my luggage went to Montreal instead of Edmonton, I came home to -18C temps and my mobile connector plugged into the block heater outlets in the parking lot didn't add any juice to the battery; but then I started driving home and my lights were flickering! They sorted themselves out within a few minutes and I've seen the problem two more times this past week. Glad to see I'm not alone with this issue and that it's believed to be a firmware issue. I was thinking there was a loose electrical connection somewhere and worried that I'd be driving at night and suddenly my lights would stop working. Now, rather than worrying about that possibility, I'll wait patiently for a firmware update that fixes the issue.

damn, 50.6 didn't fix it. still wondering if it's tied to the firmware, or just cold weather in general happen to cause this around the time .50 was released.

I have a feeling it’s just cold weather related. I’ve only noticed it on particularly cold days. If it’s a combination of both a software bug and cold weather I’d be pretty surprised.

I have a feeling it’s just cold weather related. I’ve only noticed it on particularly cold days. If it’s a combination of both a software bug and cold weather I’d be pretty surprised.

Don't think so - we've had weeks and weeks of cold winter where I am and I never had flickering lights. It started after the 2018.50 update - I think they introduced the issue.