Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flimsy Frunk lid.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my Tesla Model Y. I did a careful inspection and found only a couple things amiss. One was a poorly aligned door gap. The other was a slight bend in the Frunk lid. I took it to the Schaumburg, IL Tesla service center and they addressed both issues. However, they adjusted the Frunk lid lower and ever since when I clause it it oilcans. It doesn't make any difference where I push. The sheetmetal buckets and makes a oilcan sound. So far it doesn't look like it is causing any damage. It's just unnerving. for this to happen on a new car. I have decided not to use the trunk until this is addressed.

Has anybody else had this problem? any solutions?

Here is a solution.

That was the main reason I went to the electric frunk. I installed the Tesla Offer and it works well. The price is a lot less than if you wrinkle the hood and have to fix it, plus you get get some excellent added convenience.
How hard was it and how would you rate your mechanical ability? Is it a job for the average person who say doesn't pull a rear axle but would perhaps change points, run a stereo etc.

Small hands help. If you have big mitts like me, then those struts will be hard to replace, your knuckles will take a beating. That was worst of it for me. I should have gotten a neighbor or a neighbor's kid for that part, my hands were tore up for days. Driver's side is the hardest one to replace, passenger's side was not too bad.

Here is a solution.

Watched the video but missed the discount code - any idea what it is? This sounds like a handy update!

It's aluminum and designed to be lightweight to save on weight and extend the range. However, if you have to put instructions in the owner's manual how to place your hands when you close the Frunk in order to avoid damaging I kind of agree with you all.
Porsche 911's come with the same hood closing instructions in their owner's manuals

You have to be really ham-fisted to mess-up your frunk. Here's Sandy kinda beating on his frunk. He found out later that he only needed to adjust the bumpers.

OG frunk: 911 with rear engine 👍

Porsche 911's come with the same hood closing instructions in their owner's manuals

I bet a 911 hood is expensive, even before painting/matching.

@jeffbco not shocking, but those aren't daily-driving family crossover vehicles.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Nothing on a Porsche is cheap to fix or replace. Trust me, I dread any trip to the garage with mine... Never leave without spending $500 or more
A work friend of mine had a '79 911 that was a European version. Something about the headlights. He had to swap them for American spec every year for inspection. So he lost a screw to hold the bezel or something and we went to the dealer at lunch one day. Best I could tell it was just a normal metric screw. This was 35+ years ago so memory is probably a bit fuzzy but just an average screw that was maybe 1 1/2 - 2" (or mayhaps 3 cm) long. One screw cost $13.

The Porsche frunks are much more substantial than Tesla's model3/Y. I never use my Tesla frunk for fear of denting it. I'm careful w/ the Porsche but never afraid of using it. Tesla should fix this.
Mine was really hard as delivered and I felt the same way. There are two grommets(?) that you can turn. I screwed mine in a bit and it became much easier. Almost closes on its own now.

Reactions: Velcade