TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Flip NEMA 14-50 possible?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by jgd108, May 1, 2018.

1. jgd108

jgd108 Member

Hi
    I just realized today that my install of the NEMA 14-50 plug has the ground down instead of up, which is recommended for using the UMC.
    How hard would it be to flip the ground up? Shut off breaker, unscrew plate, and flip the ground and opposite wire?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Member

yup pretty much. When they installed mine, they forgot to do the ground up and realized it last second. Took them a minute to switch it up.

3. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

Don’t disconnect the wires from the outlet. Just switch off the breaker, remove the cover plate, unscrew the outlet from the box and rotate it to the desired orientation putting everything back together . There should be enough slack in the wires to rotate.

The wires should not be shuffled to different connection points on the socket than how they are currently wired up.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

Based on this thread, I just went to my garage and flipped it myself.

I'm not the most handy person (as my wife can attest), but it was pretty easy with a screwdriver.

Just make sure to turn off the breaker before doing anything electrical.

Luckily I had enough slack to do it easily.

• Like x 1
  5. jgd108

jgd108 Member

Thanks everybody
    I have contacted my electrician but in case he doesn't come to do it I will wait after the car comes Monday to at least plug it in and charge the car once before flipping it.

• Like x 1
  6. Need

Need Active Member

My UMC has been plugged into the NEMA 14-50 upside down for almost 5 months now. When the electrician installed the outlet, he ask which side I wanted up? I just said whichever you like. :p

For Gen 2 UMC, it doesn't make too much of a difference as the adapter goes straight into the outlet and gravity will pull the big boxy part down. But we switched to Gen 1 UMC and it has a right angle adapter so the boxy part is above the outlet. It looks a little strange, but works just fine.

7. MrYenko

MrYenko Member

Turn off the breaker, and use a non-contact voltage tester to make sure there is nothing hot in the box before you go grabbing things.

• Like x 1
  8. davewill

davewill Active Member

Yeah, it's pretty easy. Just make sure not to force anything, and look at the wires to see which direction will result in less twisting. It's possible, if the wire lengths are short that you might have to detach one or more, but probably not.

• Like x 1
  9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Sounds like neither you nor the electrician looked at the directions. For anyone still needing to have a NEMA14-50 outlet installed here is Tesla’s advice:
    https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/US/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf

Note the “ground to top”.

• Informative x 1
  10. Need

Need Active Member

He did not even know that I am installing it for a Tesla. I just told him I wanted a NEMA 14-50 outlet here (point to the spot). I think I did read the instruction once because I remember the outlet has to be above certain height. I just didn't think it would matter which side is up at the time. It was installed a month before I got the MX.