Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flip NEMA 14-50 possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I just realized today that my install of the NEMA 14-50 plug has the ground down instead of up, which is recommended for using the UMC.
How hard would it be to flip the ground up? Shut off breaker, unscrew plate, and flip the ground and opposite wire?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 6.24.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 6.24.20 PM.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 898
Don’t disconnect the wires from the outlet. Just switch off the breaker, remove the cover plate, unscrew the outlet from the box and rotate it to the desired orientation putting everything back together . There should be enough slack in the wires to rotate.

The wires should not be shuffled to different connection points on the socket than how they are currently wired up.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo and vrykolas
Based on this thread, I just went to my garage and flipped it myself.

I'm not the most handy person (as my wife can attest), but it was pretty easy with a screwdriver.

Just make sure to turn off the breaker before doing anything electrical.

Luckily I had enough slack to do it easily.

Reactions: mongo
My UMC has been plugged into the NEMA 14-50 upside down for almost 5 months now. When the electrician installed the outlet, he ask which side I wanted up? I just said whichever you like. :p

For Gen 2 UMC, it doesn't make too much of a difference as the adapter goes straight into the outlet and gravity will pull the big boxy part down. But we switched to Gen 1 UMC and it has a right angle adapter so the boxy part is above the outlet. It looks a little strange, but works just fine.

My UMC has been plugged into the NEMA 14-50 upside down for almost 5 months now. When the electrician installed the outlet, he ask which side I wanted up? I just said whichever you like. :p

For Gen 2 UMC, it doesn't make too much of a difference as the adapter goes straight into the outlet and gravity will pull the big boxy part down. But we switched to Gen 1 UMC and it has a right angle adapter so the boxy part is above the outlet. It looks a little strange, but works just fine.
Sounds like neither you nor the electrician looked at the directions. For anyone still needing to have a NEMA14-50 outlet installed here is Tesla’s advice:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/US/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf

Note the “ground to top”.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sounds like neither you nor the electrician looked at the directions. For anyone still needing to have a NEMA14-50 outlet installed here is Tesla’s advice:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/US/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf
Note the “ground to top”.

He did not even know that I am installing it for a Tesla. I just told him I wanted a NEMA 14-50 outlet here (point to the spot). I think I did read the instruction once because I remember the outlet has to be above certain height. I just didn't think it would matter which side is up at the time. It was installed a month before I got the MX.