TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FLO X5 and Model S disagree on current draw (Amps)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Cripps, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Cripps

Cripps Member

HI there
    I have a FLO X5 EVSE at home. The current draw indicated by the FLO EVSE is always less than the current draw indicated by the car during charging.

My MS 100D (2018, running software version 2018.46.2) says "30A" but the FLO app / website reports only 28.8 Amps.

Does the Tesla software round up or is the FLO charger not reporting the current draw correctly?

Attached Files:

2. miimura

miimura Active Member

The best way would be to use a clamp meter or other device so that you have a third measurement to compare.

3. dzmconstr

dzmconstr Member

Won't work...right? The cable has ground and common in it and the field readings cancels itself out right? Will only work with clamp on if they're the separate lines and you measure them individually....
    Dzm

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

There are a number of places where you can get to one wire to measure it, but you will have to open something. If you're unwilling or unable to do that, then you're right, putting a clamp meter around all the conductors together doesn't give you a reading.

5. dzmconstr

dzmconstr Member

My bad, assumed you just meant clamp onto the cable. If it were me:
    1. Wouldn't worry about the difference
    2, I'd open my panel and measure the conductors there by clamping each. I'm not telling you to do that.....danger will robinson.
    Dzm