Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Floating dyno speedboat - drive on water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tiger

Oct 31, 2016
The real UN
I came up with an interesting idea that you would have a boat onto which you would drive your car into.

You would then proceed to strap your car onto the boat as if the boat was a dyno.
jpg.jpg

The wheel motion would then be converted into propeller thrust in the water (could be side paddle-wheel propellers mounted onto the dyno axles or separate propellers via additional axles). If you drive a Plaid, your boat would now have 1020 hp! The shape of the boat should ofcourse have the aerodynamics and strength matching for your power range.

Some elegant solution would be needed to transfer steering motion into steering the boat, perhaps differential locks or smth maybe directly via the car's electronics.

Anyone interested in such a little DIY project? @Btr_ftw ? Anyone? Know anyone on this forum who would work on this kind of projects?

Saw something similar has already been proposed in a "drive on water" Kickstarter project:

Last edited:
Reactions: bnsfengineer
I just saw this… hilarious I had thought of this EXACT idea also. Except, given the energy loss in pushing water our of the way, I would do hydrofoils under the platform. And yes, the car steering would be what you steer with. Since the vehicle is AWD, you would have four propeller shafts, one from each tire dyno, and the front propeller shaft dynos would rotate freely (controlled by the front wheel turning motion).

It would require a good bit of engineering but you could cut out the traffic driving from Treasure Coast down to Miami (the original reason I thought of this idea, out of complete frustration with the traffic)

With the cybertruck on the pontoons how do you get the truck on the pontoons? It looks like the truck is supported in the front by the pontoon frame. So it appears that the truck would be elevated off of the pontoons. It appears that there is a cable from the charge port to the motors. The truck would have to backfeed power to the pontoon motors. Would Tesla allow that or would you have to modify the truck? Would anyone be willing to put Registration numbers on the side of their truck

• Funny
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I just saw this… hilarious I had thought of this EXACT idea also. Except, given the energy loss in pushing water our of the way, I would do hydrofoils under the platform. And yes, the car steering would be what you steer with. Since the vehicle is AWD, you would have four propeller shafts, one from each tire dyno, and the front propeller shaft dynos would rotate freely (controlled by the front wheel turning motion).

It would require a good bit of engineering but you could cut out the traffic driving from Treasure Coast down to Miami (the original reason I thought of this idea, out of complete frustration with the traffic)

True. Hydrofoils can be done, see Top Gear ~ Rinspeed Splash:

Now just make them pluggable to any car.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr