TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Flooded in Houston. Can't get in my Model S. Anyone have any ideas?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ericonline, Aug 28, 2017.

1. ericonline

ericonline Member

We got about 20 inches of water in our garage yesterday. So now the car is completely dead and unresponsive. Already called technical support. He said the car put itself into "shutdown mode". Before it happened the car popped the front and back trunks. But neither is fully open - just partially engaged. The tech said I'll have to wait for Tesla to tow it and open it manually somehow. It's not urgent that I get inside but I'd like to air out the car and remove the floor mats and other things. The way things are here, it might be several days before Tesla can tow and service the car. Anyone have any idea if there is a way to get into the cabin without breaking a window? When the water was about 10 inches high I tried to move it, but the car gave me an error message / warning about the 12v battery being low - so the car at that time would not move out of Park.

2. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

This post is worthy of @Btr_ftw 's attention.

4. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

The flooding looks awful there. Best of luck to you all.

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

No great ideas. Presumably you don't have power there? Why did it die? Due to the water? Or did it run out of electricity? At any rate, I don't think it would be safe to do much with it until the water subsided below the bottom of the car.

6. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Sorry for your situation and glad you are safe. Your insurance company will likely be towing it out for you and buying he vehicle off of you.

7. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

#7 KarenRei, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    If it was giving 12V warnings at 10", that shouldn't have been due to flooding. I assume your power has been out.

In theory, the pack and all other sensitive components are fully sealed and your car should be okay. It doesn't always work, and the longer the car is in water, the more likely water is to leak into things it shouldn't be in. But don't panic too much already. :)

Any chance of creative solutions working? Could you maybe jack it up (in the water, I know, not comfortable to do) and leave it on stands / bricks / whatever?

I once saw a video of a guy who was driving through a flooded street, drifted off and ended up floating nearly sideways in a deep-ditch that he couldn't see through the floodwaters. The car went - like yours - into shutdown mode. But as soon as it was towed out of the water, it popped back to life, and could be driven off. There were some issues with the 12V system that ultimately needed to be fixed, but all of the core hardware was fine (even the screens!). Of course, if your battery is dead, it won't be just popping back to life - but still, I think you'll be okay :)

What part of Houston are you in? My sister is in the Woodlands, so I've been watching the situation closely...

8. Btr_ftw

Btr_ftw Court Jester

How high did the water reach on the car? Anything above the brake calipers for more than a few minutes you are asking for trouble.

If it has been in water for several days it's time to start looking at a new car.

In terms of gaining access to the car I would use the coat hanger trick to stick it in between the glass and rubber window trim to open the interior handle.

Wish you all the best in your situation.

Oh. What model is your car by the way?

9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

He may still need some parts....

• Funny x 1
  10. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

They said 20 inches. That'd be here (blue line):
    model-s-technicke-specifikace.jpg

Almost surprised the car isn't floating.

• Helpful x 1
  11. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Never mind the auto shutdown mode, what we need is the auto Lotus submarine mode.

Or at least auto flood-proofing.

Useless Easter egg...

• Funny x 1
  12. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

#12 Cloxxki, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Lots depends on whether it's sweet or salt water.
    Still, 20 inches is painful, especially with the costly car. A pair of jacks and wooden spacers would have made such a difference... I feel your pain!

The floating notion got me thinking. If you park the car on a sturdy piece of waterproof fabric and fold the ends up...at which water level would it start floating? Depends on the tightness and strenght of the fabric largely. But only 2m³ of water need to be displaced. The ground clearance will be mosly lost, car is roughly 2x5 meters. So just 20-25cm above the bottom of the floor might get the car moving around if not achored :-O.

13. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

From well over a year ago. Sure wish you had the time to float it out.

Screenshot (1).png

• Like x 1
  14. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Pre or post refresh?

The S is not designed to allow cabin access without 12V power.

In the original cars, the nosecone can be carefully pried off, and there are a pair of terminals behind it to put 12V power on the car from an external source.

In post refresh cars, there's a way to open the Frunk without power so you can hook to the battery directly (after removing trim).

15. ccdisce

ccdisce Member

Is there a way to apply 12V to the frunk release solenoid, maybe at or near the frunk interior safety switch?...just speculating.

16. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

Question: isn't it likely that this car is going to be totaled anyway, and if so, breaking a window wouldn't matter... ?

17. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Dang, that sucks. So sorry for what your going through.

I never would have considered some of the options posted here regarding jacking up a car to avoid flooding. Might make a lift worthwhile.

18. FutureShock

FutureShock Member

Geez. Reminds me of that line from Risky Business:

"Who's the U-Boat commander?" :(

Stay safe. Really, really sucks what Houston's having to go through.

19. flipb

flipb Member

I could be wrong, but I thought it was OK to manually lift the hatchback if the power lift doesn't respond. Go slowly and don't force it. Then you can fold down the back seats, climb in, and manually release the doors. Front doors should release with a full-length pull of the interior door handle; rear doors have emergency manual release through the carpet just below the leading edge of the seat.

• Love x 1
  20. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

• Like x 1