Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Floor Jack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What type of jack are you all using to lift the car? (Model 3)
I don't have one now so I need to get, as I'll be doing my own tire swaps now. (tires on rims already)

Don't want to spend big $$'s for something I'll use twice a year for 30 minutes each time.
Nor do I want something the is unsafe or will not hold the car.
Also I would prefer to keep the purchase in Canada to keep the fees at bay.

Suggestions?

What type of jack are you all using to lift the car? (Model 3)
I don't have one now so I need to get, as I'll be doing my own tire swaps now. (tires on rims already)

Don't want to spend big $$'s for something I'll use twice a year for 30 minutes each time.
Nor do I want something the is unsafe or will not hold the car.
Also I would prefer to keep the purchase in Canada to keep the fees at bay.

Suggestions?

My Tesla Model 3 LR RWD is 4,806 lbs so I would get a 2.5 or 3 ton floor jack.

If you don't mind the weight (keep at home), you can pay a lower price for a steel one. If you want to pay more for the lighter weight (keep in your car), then aluminum is the one.

I don't own nor endorse the below but just as an illustration on weight and price:

US$288.99, 56 lbs, Torin AT830003XLB Low Profile Economic Aluminum Service/Floor Garage Jack with Quick Lift Pump, 3 Ton (6,000 lb) Capacity, Black

US$199.99, 67 lbs, TCE ATZ830026XU Torin Hydraulic Ultra Low Profile Heavy Duty Steel Service/Floor Jack with Dual Piston Quick Lift Pump, 3 Ton (6,000 lb) Capacity, Blue

If you don't mind the weight (keep at home), you can pay a lower price for a steel one. If you want to pay more for the lighter weight (keep in your car), then aluminum is the one.

I don't own nor endorse the below but just as an illustration on weight and price:

US$288.99, 56 lbs, Torin AT830003XLB Low Profile Economic Aluminum Service/Floor Garage Jack with Quick Lift Pump, 3 Ton (6,000 lb) Capacity, Black

US$199.99, 67 lbs, TCE ATZ830026XU Torin Hydraulic Ultra Low Profile Heavy Duty Steel Service/Floor Jack with Dual Piston Quick Lift Pump, 3 Ton (6,000 lb) Capacity, Blue
I think you may be mistaken. The weight you are stating is Gross weight vs Curb weight. Actual weight of the long range is approx 3800lbs.

Costco sells the torin or cat 3 ton jack. Last time I checked it was 179 to 199 for these Jacks with the benefit of the Costco return policy. I use the torin myself as it let's be do a BMW SUV and the model 3 (low profile enough to hit the model 3, and enough lift for the SUV).

We usually lift one corner of the car for a wheel change, and only in rare cases the entire side gets lifted with 2 wheels in the air. In theory even a one-ton jack can do the job. That being said, many floor jack below 2 ton capacity looks like toys with very narrow bodies and small pads. I personally went with a 3 ton jack, mainly for its sturdiness so I have a peace of mind when lifting the car.

We usually lift one corner of the car for a wheel change, and only in rare cases the entire side gets lifted with 2 wheels in the air. In theory even a one-ton jack can do the job. That being said, many floor jack below 2 ton capacity looks like toys with very narrow bodies and small pads. I personally went with a 3 ton jack, mainly for its sturdiness so I have a peace of mind when lifting the car.

When I do tire rotations, I lift up 2 points at the same time so I can switch them.

I can lift 1 point at a time but it's less convenient because I have to use a spare tire.

That one has a small diameter lift point, so won't comfortably hold a puck. I'm not sure if the little nubs on it would be enough to crack the puck though, so it might work.

This looks like it has a decent size lift point that would fit a puck but 3 ton, so a bit overkill: https://www.princessauto.com/en/3-ton-low-profile-floor-jack/product/PA0009001314

Edit: Looks like the technical term is "saddle size", so just find one with >3" (princess auto lists it, but doesn't look like CT does)

Last edited:
I wanted something of fairly high quality and capacity for lifting such an expensive vehicle. I got a 3 ton aluminium jack from Princess Auto. I got it on sale for $250 last September, when the regular price was $299. It looks like the regular price has now gone up to $350.

It's just low enough that I can get it under my M3 LR with an official size (real) hockey puck that I use as a lifting puck. I'm not sure it would work with a puck with a M3 P, which I believe might be lower.

Reactions: Randy-12
Definitely go for a low profile jack. I had an older 3 ton floor jack that couldn’t fit under the M3 with the pucks on it. Rather than messing around with 2x4s or some other method of getting the car high enough to get the jack under it, I had to buy a new low profile jack. 😁

Reactions: Randy-12