Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Floor Mat Erectile Dysfunction???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the service center and asked them about it. They told me that it is a common problem and Tesla is working on a new design. I asked them to fix it with velcro or something, and they said they could not fix it. They also made no mention if the new design would be given to any earlier adopters.

I wish I knew what they did in my car so I could tell you. I was at the Rockville, MD Service Center--you could call them (or ask your Service Center to call them) to see what they did.

I stopped into the Columbus service center on Wednesday just to check it out, and they gave me a new set of the front & rear floor mats (no charge). The new ones don't use velcro on the back, and instead use a field of 1/4" spikes or nubs to hold the mat in place. They look nicer than the previous set of front mats, and no longer experience the "flopover", even under full accel (on the first few tries, anyway...the spikes anchor the mat in pretty good).

Also saw some nice cars lined up for delivery, including some fresh 40's...looking good, all of them!

As you wish:

IMG_20130525_081745_861.jpg
IMG_20130525_081424_802.jpg
IMG_20130525_081731_866.jpg

Unfortunately, while still higher quality, the new mats still suffer the same erectile dysfunction as the skimpy mats. My passenger is limp already again :(

I had a feeling this would happen. When I got the new mats installed I immediately noticed that while they are nicer they still will flop over. The main issue that I see is that the foot well on the passenger side is very steep. And unless you have very stiff mats they will fall over.

My Lloyd's all weather mats did the same thing once the car got hot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The new mat underside looks like the ones I got with my car in early February, which flopped (and which the service center fixed somehow for me so they wouldn't flop). :confused:

I didn't get rear mats with my car at the time, though, so there's at least one mat-related upgrade awaiting me. . . .

I was at the Watertown, MA Service Center today, new front mats, new rear passenger mat (never had one), rotated tires, they installed the new front defroster vent modification, and also my VIN was on a list to have the DC-DC converter replaced, all done in about 3 hours. I was even offered a loaner Model S, but declined.. More fun to gossip with the guys :) and make jokes about "Seeking Alpha" authors and their motivations.

My solution to curling passenger floor mat

Here's what I did to solve the problem using two common items in your desk drawer. I bent a paper clip so there's a hook on one end and firmly attached the other end to a small binder clip (using a pliers to form a closed loop).

Under the plastic above the carpet, there's a metal bar. I hooked the paper clip up there and attached the binder clip to the top corner of the mat. Voila...the mat stays up and can still be easily removed for cleaning. The clip can't be seen unless you bend down.

Attachments

• P1140295.JPG
    P1140295.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 176
  • P1140296.JPG
    P1140296.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 184