Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Floor Mat Mount Change November 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was searching around for floor mats form MY 2020 which we just picked up. I'm likely going with the Tesmanian set but I did also check WeatherTec. On the Weathertec site I noticed a vehicle option and notification as shown in the following. Will this impact the Tesmanian set or is this something specific to the Weathertec product? You can see the screenshot of the Weathertec site.

Attachments

• model Y floor mat mount.PNG
    model Y floor mat mount.PNG
    301.6 KB · Views: 396
  • floor mat mount.PNG
    floor mat mount.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 329
So I was searching around for floor mats form MY 2020 which we just picked up. I'm likely going with the Tesmanian set but I did also check WeatherTec. On the Weathertec site I noticed a vehicle option and notification as shown in the following. Will this impact the Tesmanian set or is this something specific to the Weathertec product? You can see the screenshot of the Weathertec site.
I would contact Tesmanian as they have probably sold more all-weather floor mats for the Model Y than any other supplier. Tesmanian will have the most up to date information regarding the fit.

Just looking at the picture they sure seem like they are Weather Techs. Model Y All-Weather Interior Liners

I have had many of those in different cars over the years, protection is pretty darn good, Unless they have changed material, the stuff I had got dirty easily, scratched easily and was almost impossible to clean even a with soap/water & brush combo. Then again this is only assuming they are Weather Techs.

Bought a set of $20 temporary mats at Costco just the other day as I am waiting for the Tuxmats which I also have used in several vehicles and IMHO nothing compares.

Odd that Tesla does not indicate which design you need unless they know when you login and send the appropriate ones.

May just order a Tesla set and evaluate the material. Kinda nice to have Tesla stamped on them and I am sure the fit will be perfect.

Last edited:
New Just looking at the picture they sure seem like they are Weather Techs. Model Y All-Weather Interior Liners

I think they are made by Weather Tech here in the US. Some people like the lack of the big Weather Tech logo. I have several of their sets on other cars and they clean up nice with a power washer in the spring.

I waited for months for the Tesla branded ones to come out but bought the full set of Tesmanian ones on Black Friday just a few weeks ago and they are nice but I think thinner and lighter than the Weather Tech and Tesla branded ones.

I think it's cool that there are so many third party floor mats from different vendors. I think the Tesmanian ones have higher sidewalls to keep snow and salt out of getting into the carpet.

Lots of different choices for different weather conditions. Good to have different options.

I think they are made by Weather Tech here in the US. Some people like the lack of the big Weather Tech logo. I have several of their sets on other cars and they clean up nice with a power washer in the spring.

I waited for months for the Tesla branded ones to come out but bought the full set of Tesmanian ones on Black Friday just a few weeks ago and they are nice but I think thinner and lighter than the Weather Tech and Tesla branded ones.

I think it's cool that there are so many third party floor mats from different vendors. I think the Tesmanian ones have higher sidewalls to keep snow and salt out of getting into the carpet.

Lots of different choices for different weather conditions. Good to have different options.
The Weathertech badge peels off with no effort and no residue is left behind to clean up. Very easy to do.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Just looking at the picture they sure seem like they are Weather Techs. Model Y All-Weather Interior Liners

I have had many of those in different cars over the years, protection is pretty darn good, Unless they have changed material, the stuff I had got dirty easily, scratched easily and was almost impossible to clean even a with soap/water & brush combo. Then again this is only assuming they are Weather Techs.
Agree with your assessment of the Weather Tech mats (I've had many sets over the years).. the material scratches easily, and while the dirt cleans off easily the mats become scuffed and still look soiled once they dry off.

Does the floor mount change have an actual effect on the fit the all-season liners, e.g., Weathertech, Tesmanian, Maxpider, etc.? For example, if you bought a Tesmanian liner using the old floor mount, will it not fit a Y that is delivered next month (or later in 2021)?

Also, does the floor mount change have any effect on standard mats (not all-season liners), e.g., Tesla's rubber textile and carpeted mats or the Autailors that are sold on Amazon? Again, if I bought the Autailors from Amazon today, will they not fit in a Y that is delivered in January or later?

The Tesla Model Y All Weather Interior Liners do not look like the floor mats that WeatherTech is current showing on their web site for the Model Y. Also, WeatherTech now makes you select whether you have the original Model Y front seat mount/bracket or the newer style front seat mount/bracket when selecting the correct product. If you choose the newer style you are directed to a page that only shows the second row all-weather mat. It looks like WeatherTech does not yet have a set of front seat floor mats for the newer design front seat mount/bracket.

The Tesla All Weather Interior Liners also do not appear to be exactly like the mats shown on the Tesmanian site. The rear lip of the Tesla liners for the front seats are straight with no extended center section. The rear lip of the Tesmanian front seat floor liners currently shown on the Tesmanian site have an extension in the center of the rear lip.

I bet you all these aftermarket manufacturers are pretty pissed as their scans and orders which are in already production will only be good for cars produced until dec or so of this year. Now they need to rescan and produce new batches. Plus a lot of people will not realize they ordered the wrong item and will get bitten because they did not read the fine print. Odd they changed this but there must be a reason. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the 7 seat option.

For those who are still interested, I emailed Tesmanian and this was there response. (Not changing the mats currently) so see the link above to see how they'd fit on the updated Model Y. Winter mats for new MY

"Thank you for your email. We have tried our current mats to the newest Model Y, which is an acceptable fitment. We understand that other brand might have made their products for this slight difference .
But currently , we are using the same fitment on all model Y mats. Our R&D dept is also looking into making a Version 2 mats and if needed for any additional upcoming changes. Thank you . "

Here one can see the difference in fabrication methods from one brand to the other. Some went to the extent of laser scanning even around the seat mount area for a very precise and custom fit all around and need to change design for a proper fit with the new change as opposed to others where the rear portion is generic meaning it is just cut off in a straight line and will still fit with the new seat mounts. Not saying either is better, always a personal preference and the buyers choice in the end. I'm just glad the car is so popular that aftermarket companies are rushing to make stuff for the Y.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung