Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Floor Model and Loaner Car purchase experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put down a deposit for a 60kW floor model with 50 miles on it. Read a few complaints from members who have purchased a loaner one in the past. Would like to hear the positive experience as well as bitter experience from folks purchased one in the past. What sucks here is they are charging more for transport. Except for few hundred dollar discount and immediate availability I do not see any big advantage in buying one.

Last edited:
If you're someone who's in a spot and needs a car today, then this particular loaner car is a decent deal. You get it right away, there's only 50 miles on it. If the color and options suits the person's tastes then it's all good, imo. Not really sure what people are expecting, it's a brand new car and no different than buying off a lot essentially - you wouldn't get a huge discount for doing that.

If you have time to wait for a car of your choice, then go for it.

IMO A few hundred dollars isn't enough for a non-custom configured MS and a few thousand people getting in and out and probably wearing down the leather on the B pillars.
Ditto. It would have to be MUCH more than a few hundred dollars off.

Also, the doors have no doubt been opened and closed MANY times. I had some power windows in my former '91 Camry stop working ages ago. Dealer diagnosed it to a broken power wire in the driver's side door. Luckily, the repair was real cheap and the fix worked.

I'm usually the only one in the car and for cars I own, I now refrain from using the driver's to retrieve something if it can be retrieved via another door.

I'm currently in the final stages of buying a Loaner car (see Sig. for Car details). My particular Car had more mileage than yours (about 2100 miles) and is also probably a much earlier VIN than most Loaners, but it also happened to have almost exactly the options I was looking for. The savings from buying a loaner with those miles was significant for me around $5k, but even more significant was the savings from buying an earlier VIN because I was able to take advantage of some of the lower options pricing from earlier in the year, and may have had some additional discount due to the age of the car, all told I saved about $9k. Which made a Huge impact for me in the affordability of the car.

Picking the car up Wed. morning and I'll report back then on what kind of shape it's in. Though honestly, I almost don't care, I have faith in Tesla that they will do whatever is necessary to make the car as good as new. From the stories I've read so far about other Loaner/demo buyers all of the problems that have been noted and caused the most headaches are issues that, to me at least, are very "detail oriented". Everyone should have high expectations for a car of this price range but from everything I've heard Tesla is doing their level best to meet those expectations and going above and beyond most other car companies.

I ordered my P85 on 9/9 and had a projected delivery date around Halloween. 10/3 (last Thursday) was my birthday and I went in to the SC (no sales floor here yet) just to see the cars they have since I'm so excited about it. Surprise, surprise, they had a loaner that was very close to what I ordered! They asked if I wanted to see it and of course I did. Then they asked if I wanted to drive it and of course I did. Then they asked if I wanted to buy it and when they showed me the price, I about lost it. Of course I did! I got almost everything I had ordered (correct color and interior were my highest priorities) and some upgrades I had not for much less than the new order.

Like paco3791 I was able to pick up some options I had bypassed by rationalizing that I didn't want to pay the new prices (such as the upgraded sound and 21" wheels) and still kept the price below what I had ordered. Yes, I did give up parking sensors and fog lights but since I've had neither in the past I think the trade off for performance seats, alcantara, kid seats, upgraded sound and wheels is a good compromise. Not to mention I get to keep some of my cash for other Tesla goodies like tinting, Opti-coat and Xpel. AND I got to take it home right away shaving almost a month off my wait time. Happy Birthday to me!

The only bad part, if you can call it that, is I hadn't installed a plug yet so now I have to trickle charge at 110 or run down to the SC to use their HPWC until my installation later this week. It's so sad to have to drive around to get it charged for a few days! (not). Since it was a service loaner and not on a sales floor, it has been very well taken care of by my fellow Tesla owners. I don't see anything wrong with any detail so far. I don't believe it is distinguishable from one fresh off the truck. It was a very good weekend and I love, love, love it! (Yes, I have gotten up in the night to look at it in the garage.)

Tesla has been amazing at making sure I'm happy with the car and have bent over backwards to make sure the experience is special. They detailed it nicely and even offered to come in over the weekend (SC here is only open M-F) to let me charge if need be. Still waiting for the app to work but with a loaner purchase and the weekend, it might still be a couple of days. I've updated my signature to reflect the new configuration.

BTW, I had read so much about the 21" being noisy and/or rough. That has not been my experience and I'm very pleased with them so far. Now we'll just have to see how long they last but for now, I'm driving off in to the sunset very happily.

I ordered my P85 on 9/9 and had a projected delivery date around Halloween. 10/3 (last Thursday) was my birthday and I went in to the SC (no sales floor here yet) just to see the cars they have since I'm so excited about it. Surprise, surprise, they had a loaner that was very close to what I ordered! They asked if I wanted to see it and of course I did. Then they asked if I wanted to drive it and of course I did. Then they asked if I wanted to buy it and when they showed me the price, I about lost it. Of course I did! I got almost everything I had ordered (correct color and interior were my highest priorities) and some upgrades I had not for much less than the new order.

Like paco3791 I was able to pick up some options I had bypassed by rationalizing that I didn't want to pay the new prices (such as the upgraded sound and 21" wheels) and still kept the price below what I had ordered. Yes, I did give up parking sensors and fog lights but since I've had neither in the past I think the trade off for performance seats, alcantara, kid seats, upgraded sound and wheels is a good compromise. Not to mention I get to keep some of my cash for other Tesla goodies like tinting, Opti-coat and Xpel. AND I got to take it home right away shaving almost a month off my wait time. Happy Birthday to me!

The only bad part, if you can call it that, is I hadn't installed a plug yet so now I have to trickle charge at 110 or run down to the SC to use their HPWC until my installation later this week. It's so sad to have to drive around to get it charged for a few days! (not). Since it was a service loaner and not on a sales floor, it has been very well taken care of by my fellow Tesla owners. I don't see anything wrong with any detail so far. I don't believe it is distinguishable from one fresh off the truck. It was a very good weekend and I love, love, love it! (Yes, I have gotten up in the night to look at it in the garage.)

Tesla has been amazing at making sure I'm happy with the car and have bent over backwards to make sure the experience is special. They detailed it nicely and even offered to come in over the weekend (SC here is only open M-F) to let me charge if need be. Still waiting for the app to work but with a loaner purchase and the weekend, it might still be a couple of days. I've updated my signature to reflect the new configuration.

BTW, I had read so much about the 21" being noisy and/or rough. That has not been my experience and I'm very pleased with them so far. Now we'll just have to see how long they last but for now, I'm driving off in to the sunset very happily.

Wow, interesting.

Glad you got the 21" tires--they are amazing.

Have fun with that beauty!

Post pics...

Congrats! Awesome that you found one on your birthday and it was take home ready. :)

They promised me that the car will be checked at the nearest SC and will be shipped to the nearest SC. Keep us posted.
Checking it doesn't mean anything will be done about wear and tear (see example earlier about the power wires in the doors). Think about the wear and tear to anything else that would be exercised by folks in a showroom.

I don't think saving hundreds of dollars is anywhere near worth it for a car the price of Model S. It'd need to be multi-thousands, for me.