Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Floorboard Overheat Using Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Experts;
M3 2022 LR. All previous supercharging and home charging working perfectly using only Tesla L1-L3 chargers.
Scary situation charging at Williamsport PA 1C.
Charging started at over 1100mph then decreased to lower rates. Minutes into the charge rear passenger sitting in rear passenger side alerted me that floorboard "popped" UP under their feet. The floorboard HAD popped up (from heat?). So I ran to the charger to monitor or unplug. Supercharger cable felt extremely hot. Could not feel heat on floorboard but it was pliable and could be pushed down only to pop up again.
I fearfully let charge continue and at some point floorboard popped down again. Of course I had everyone out of the car after first alert.

Anyone experienced this? It was maybe 80 degrees outside and car has been awesome up to this point. 8,000 miles total and was on road trip for 200 miles when this occurred.
Thanks for any relative input.

This is a fairly typical experience, caused by thermal expansion of the battery pack materials. I believe it can happen under conditions besides supercharging (since its purely heat related) but supercharging dumps a ton of heat all at once into the pack and the metal expansion causes the panels to "pop".

It isn't dangerous or something you should worry about. No need to push it back down either since it will settle when the metal and pack cools - you experienced that in the later parts of the charge when there is less heat and everything cooled off. Additionally, the heat you felt from the supercharger cable is just a side effect of pushing up to 700/800A range. Some heat from the cable is impossible to avoid at those "1100mph" speeds and is also totally normal.