Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Delivery Question - Final Payment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have picked up in Florida...

The online account is a little confusing. It says to upload banking information "prior to delivery"... But then in the section for what to bring with you on delivery day it says to bring final payment (check).

I financed through Tesla but owe the taxes/fees. Can I bring a check and still have access to the vehicle on delivery day? Or do I have to upload banking information prior to delivery and "accept" the car in the tesla app to have access to the car?

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: Levo

The online account is a little confusing. It says to upload banking information "prior to delivery"... But then in the section for what to bring with you on delivery day it says to bring final payment (check).

I financed through Tesla but owe the taxes/fees. Can I bring a check and still have access to the vehicle on delivery day? Or do I have to upload banking information prior to delivery and "accept" the car in the tesla app to have access to the car?

Thanks!

I haven’t received delivery of my vehicle yet but I just left the Delivery Center in Dania Beach and the rep told me that I should upload my banking information prior to actually picking up the vehicle so that I’ll have access to the car once I get there on delivery day.

They’d probably accept a check on delivery day as well for those who don’t feel comfortable with transacting online but if you decide to go this route, I’d double check with someone at your Delivery Center just to make sure.

Of course Tesla wants to have all the financial details worked out prior to you arriving for delivery/pickup.
Customers seem to want to wait for the last possible moment to part with their money.

Things can get very busy at the delivery center, and Tesla would like to have all these issues taken care of earlier, so they can process deliveries quicker. Tends to have fewer mistakes than each customer trying to work out the final details 5 minutes before driving off.

You need to ask yourself, how comfortable would you be, selling your used car to someone that wants to give you a personal check and drive away in your car.

When I picked mine up 10 days ago, I could have funded ahead of time, at the dealer through the app and they also stated they would accept a personal check. Bad people can always do bad things but I don't see the equivalence between an individual taking a personal check and a corporation that knows quite a bit about you once you're picking up the car from the SC.

I haven’t received delivery of my vehicle yet but I just left the Delivery Center in Dania Beach and the rep told me that I should upload my banking information prior to actually picking up the vehicle so that I’ll have access to the car once I get there on delivery day.

They’d probably accept a check on delivery day as well for those who don’t feel comfortable with transacting online but if you decide to go this route, I’d double check with someone at your Delivery Center just to make sure.
How comfortable would you be willing to give someone with a less than reputable reputation $50k upfront?

It’s reasonable to have a thorough inspection of the product before paying in full.

This is the point. Customers do not want to make payment until they can go over every inch of the car and are assured it is perfect (or acceptable). Company wants to get paid for their car before the last minute so they can confirm good funds.

Usually this dilema is handled by an Escrow 3rd party, but this just adds delay and costs.

Of course Tesla wants to have all the financial details worked out prior to you arriving for delivery/pickup.
Customers seem to want to wait for the last possible moment to part with their money.

Things can get very busy at the delivery center, and Tesla would like to have all these issues taken care of earlier, so they can process deliveries quicker. Tends to have fewer mistakes than each customer trying to work out the final details 5 minutes before driving off.

You need to ask yourself, how comfortable would you be, selling your used car to someone that wants to give you a personal check and drive away in your car.
I decided to order at an SC (Lawrence/Princeton NJ). I had done a test drive, and talked to a rep for awhile. Although he said they didn't get commission, I figure some sort of stats are kept and he should get credit.

Anyway, one of the things I asked was if I could write a personal check, and he said yes. And they do already have a scan of my driver's license. By the time I pick it up, they'll have insurance info. So they can find me if I were to run off. I'm also guessing that with all the over-the-air stuff for this car, they could stop me in my tracks. When I did the test drive, the rep told me to contact him when my wife took over. She decided not to drive it, but I think he was indicating that he would need to restart the car.

Thanks!
How about a credit card?

How about a credit card?
I tried to pay for both of my cars with a credit card. Tesla accepts cards only for the deposit.
That said, I did EFT for both of mine with no problems, executing the transaction after initial inspection. It took a few minutes to confirm, but next time I'll probably pay before seeing the car.
FWIW, my first one in 2014 was a CPO that I could not see prior to delivery. It had a tiny blemish which Tesla fixed at the body shop of my choice. That shop is now Tesla authorized.

I tried to pay for both of my cars with a credit card. Tesla accepts cards only for the deposit.

- - - snip - - -

Can't find it right now, but I saw that in writing somewhere. Makes sense. Say 5% in merchant fees on $50,000 is a chunk of change.

I've always paid cash for a new car. A long time ago I had to get bank/ certified checks. But I'm pretty sure every car I've bought in this century I've used a credit card for the initial deposit (sometimes as much as $1K) and written a personal check for the balance at delivery.

Picked mine up last month in Palm Beach and I did the ACH ahead of time. They will take a personal check on delivery day if that's what you prefer. One other thing in Florida, you must have a paper title if you're doing a trade in, they will not accept an electronic title.

Picked mine up last month in Palm Beach and I did the ACH ahead of time. They will take a personal check on delivery day if that's what you prefer. One other thing in Florida, you must have a paper title if you're doing a trade in, they will not accept an electronic title.
My last one was electronic, but Tesla pulled the physical one themselves IIRC.

Feel stupid, but how did you upload the profile picture. I will do that after I take delivery on 24th. I am turning in my X on lease. Hope I like Y as much as the X.

Has anyone paid for part of their vehicle with a loan where the bank wires the loan amount directly to Tesla?

I’ll be paying 50% cash and 50% loan but my bank (Bank of America) will wire the money to Tesla when I sign the loan doc electronically. But, I don’t want to do this until I accept delivery of the car. I’m guessing they won’t let me take delivery until they see the funds transferred from my bank. I also plan to pay the remaining 50% at time of delivery.

How have people in this situation handled this?