Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida FPL Time of Use Rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone get FPL to switch them to TOU in the last few months? I called FPL about a month ago and after spending over an hour on hold and getting transferred between different departments, I was told I needed to wait for a phone call, which I would receive in the next 15 business days (3 wks). They even asked what time window I'd prefer to receive that call. A couple days shy of that 3 week mark, I called them back and was told that whoever I spoke to was mistaken and that they don't call customers (I've heard differently on TMC and Reddit) and that they actually send out a "package" that was showing as already sent and should arrive that same week. The following week I called back and told them I didn't receive anything and they couldn't tell me why nothing ever came. The address they had was correct. That person also confirmed it was a package, not a phone call, that I was waiting on, although its possible it was the same employee the last two times. She apologized and said she'd re-send the package and that she'd put a priority flag on it. I asked how long it would be with the priority flag....15 business days. So the priority thing was total BS. I don't have high hopes that this time will somehow be magically different. Anyone have any info on how to get this to happen? Its crazy I can't just sign up online for it.

I have solar and 4 powerwalls and two EVs and have custom-coded software that flips the settings on my powerwalls and determines when my cars should charge to make sure I don't end up with any extra peak credits but that I also don't use any peak power. It also tracks every kWh and gives me an estimated ongoing bill with the flat rate and the TOU plan. I've been running it for over a month now and it has managed to prevent any peak use at all while keeping peek credits very low, and it looks like its going to save me about $100/mo on my bill. So the delays are expensive. Any tips for getting FPL to switch me over?

FPL is a mess. I have 13kw of solar and 2 PWs and 2 Teslas. I called them back in August to request TOU. Waited for 1h for someone to pickup after going thru a bunch of menus that make it really hard to talk to someone. Then waited a bit more til they passed me to the Energy/Net Metering dept. I was told someone would call me to explain the process in a couple days and setup an analysis, and then it would take 3 months to get a new meter because they are super busy.

No one ever called in over 4 months. I called this week, and after 1h on hold, getting hung up on, calling again, and holding again for 1h, I talked to someone that didn't know why no one called me. She then said she was transferring my call to a supervisor. She transferred the call without relaying any info to the supervisor, so I had to tell her everything again. The supervisor then said someone would call me in 2 days. No one called, but I received an email from someone in Net metering dept asking me if i was aware of the implications in converting to TOU, including that solar credits are paid out at the same peak/offpeak as they are consumed, and that many customers complain about that, and also that a new meter would need to be installed even though I already have a net metering meter, because the TOU meter has to be read manually every month by an FPL employee that wil need access to the property.

I replied the same day that I was fine with that, and next day (yesterday), she said they'll come to my house in 2 days to install a new meter.

Reactions: Pearl1!
FPL is a mess. I have 13kw of solar and 2 PWs and 2 Teslas. I called them back in August to request TOU. Waited for 1h for someone to pickup after going thru a bunch of menus that make it really hard to talk to someone. Then waited a bit more til they passed me to the Energy/Net Metering dept. I was told someone would call me to explain the process in a couple days and setup an analysis, and then it would take 3 months to get a new meter because they are super busy.

No one ever called in over 4 months. I called this week, and after 1h on hold, getting hung up on, calling again, and holding again for 1h, I talked to someone that didn't know why no one called me. She then said she was transferring my call to a supervisor. She transferred the call without relaying any info to the supervisor, so I had to tell her everything again. The supervisor then said someone would call me in 2 days. No one called, but I received an email from someone in Net metering dept asking me if i was aware of the implications in converting to TOU, including that solar credits are paid out at the same peak/offpeak as they are consumed, and that many customers complain about that, and also that a new meter would need to be installed even though I already have a net metering meter, because the TOU meter has to be read manually every month by an FPL employee that wil need access to the property.

I replied the same day that I was fine with that, and next day (yesterday), she said they'll come to my house in 2 days to install a new meter.
I ended up having basically the same experience as you. They jerked me around for a pretty long time, but finally I got an email (not a phone call and not a package) that I had to reply to, agreeing that I understood everything. They installed the new meter that same week. But....Two months after the meter swap, I hadn't received a bill and had to contact them several times. As of now I finally have my bill that covers October (its mid-late-December), but have not been billed for November, which should be my first bill where TOU rates actually apply. I was told by the email chick that they have to manually come out and read the meter each month. To expedite getting my bill she asked me to take several photos of my meter to show how much energy I had used. I sent those to her and she sent me a break down of my usage based on the photos and forwarded it on to their billing department, but still no November bill weeks later. Crazy how disorganized they are.

I ended up having basically the same experience as you. They jerked me around for a pretty long time, but finally I got an email (not a phone call and not a package) that I had to reply to, agreeing that I understood everything. They installed the new meter that same week. But....Two months after the meter swap, I hadn't received a bill and had to contact them several times. As of now I finally have my bill that covers October (its mid-late-December), but have not been billed for November, which should be my first bill where TOU rates actually apply. I was told by the email chick that they have to manually come out and read the meter each month. To expedite getting my bill she asked me to take several photos of my meter to show how much energy I had used. I sent those to her and she sent me a break down of my usage based on the photos and forwarded it on to their billing department, but still no November bill weeks later. Crazy how disorganized they are.
Thanks for the feedback! When they told me it was a manual reading of the meter, I imagined something like this would happen... Why offer the program if they can't manage it correctly? Wow, I really hope this is worth it ..