Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida FPL Time of Use Rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have 2 Model 3's at home and one of them is now being used to drive a much further distance every day to work so I have been looking into switch my power plan with FPL in Florida from the regular service to time of use service. I have talked to 2 different people at FPL and wow is this super confusing, and I have gotten different information from both of them.

Has anyone switched to TOU with FPL? How was your experience and can you tell me what the rate actually is?

I am going by the current FPL rate card here: https://www.fpl.com/rates/pdf/new-customer-overview-may.pdf

I originally thought and was told the price was 10.983 cents per kWh for peak time, then its 4.886 less (6.097) cents per kWh for off peak time no including the fuel price and other fees.

The second person I spoke to today has told me that it is actually the base < 1000 kWh price of 6.156 + 10.983 cents per kWh and > 1000 kWh its 7.218 + 10.983 cents per kWh for about 17 or 18 cents per kWh during the peak time. Then off peak time is either 6.156 or 7.218 for < or > 1000 kWh MINUS the 4.886 cents off peak discount for about a 1 or 2 cent per kWh price.

This is super confusing how everything is all over the place, the rate card does not explain it that way and I'm hoping someone who has switched to TOU with FPL can help explain it a little better please.

Reactions: UltradoomY
I have fpl tou and I cant help explain it either. Its pretty piss poor how they explain it but I'm fairly certain we are saving. We only charge at night and weekends and have moved some washing and stuff to night time too

This is what I want an plan to do. Charge at night and on the weekend plus move washing clothes and a few other things to night time or on the weekend. But FPL is fighting me saying I won’t save any money. But they keep ignoring me saying that I have 2 EVs and right now and just plug in whenever not paying attention to the time because it saves me no money.

I believe doing the math even with there crazy 17 cents and 2 cents I would save $30 - $40 a month.

This is what I want an plan to do. Charge at night and on the weekend plus move washing clothes and a few other things to night time or on the weekend. But FPL is fighting me saying I won’t save any money. But they keep ignoring me saying that I have 2 EVs and right now and just plug in whenever not paying attention to the time because it saves me no money.

I believe doing the math even with there crazy 17 cents and 2 cents I would save $30 - $40 a month.
With having 2 ev's i dont see how you wouldnt save money

I e-mailed FPL and advised them I have electric vehicles charging at my FL garage. They flagged my account and I strictly use TOU by charging after 10pm. I can view EV usage via my FPL account/energy analyzer. My bill is consistent and never fluctuates more than $20/month. (literally a few dollars a week)

I also signed up for budget billing which keeps my bill the same every month even in summer months.

I e-mailed FPL and advised them I have electric vehicles charging at my FL garage. They flagged my account and I strictly use TOU by charging after 10pm. I can view EV usage via my FPL account/energy analyzer. My bill is consistent and never fluctuates more than $20/month. (literally a few dollars a week)

I also signed up for budget billing which keeps my bill the same every month even in summer months.

How long did it take you to actually get your account on TOU? At this point they are basically refusing to move me to TOU. It makes no sense.

Bumping an old thread, but random question for those on the FPL TOU plan. I just started on it this billing cycle but I'm getting confused when looking online. It's showing my current usage so far this month as $90.72:

1641092544004.png

That seems very high so I went and looked at the daily detail to see what was going on. You can see here for my usage for Dec. 31 I used 8kWh from 2-3am at a cost of $1.03, which would be a rate of 0.12875 per kWh. That is supposed to be an off peak time and doing the calculation the off peak rate should be around .05469 per kWh:

1641092712362.png

So because I was bored I went day by day and hour by hour and added up the on and off peak kWh by day and recomputed the amount (plus the $8.99 base charge):

1641093011797.png

Basically using the rate of .12875 for every kWh regardless of time (last column) plus the $8.99 gets me within a couple cents of the "current usage amount" per the FPL site. My recalculated amount using the actual on and off peak usage and the rates is coming out to $58.20.

So this was a long winded way of asking for those of you on the TOU plans, does the amount shown on the FPL site as the "current usage amount" reflect what your actual bill was or is that pre-TOU adjustment? I tried calling the FPL customer service to ask and they weren't a help, they said it's the actual charge and if the billing cycle ended today that would be my bill, which my recalculation is showing isn't right.

I figured out my issue was that I wasn’t on the TOU plan. I assumed that it would automatically start when I got the new meter installed. But actually they analyze your usage to see if you’ll save money with the TOU. If the first month you won’t save it redoes the calc the second month, and again if you still won’t save money you stay on the regular rates until the third month at which point you’ll switch to TOU regardless.

• Funny
Reactions: mociaf9
I figured out my issue was that I wasn’t on the TOU plan. I assumed that it would automatically start when I got the new meter installed. But actually they analyze your usage to see if you’ll save money with the TOU. If the first month you won’t save it redoes the calc the second month, and again if you still won’t save money you stay on the regular rates until the third month at which point you’ll switch to TOU regardless.
Do you have any update? Is TOU working out for you?

Do you have any update? Is TOU working out for you?
So far it’s been working. I used 100 more KW than the same time last year and even with the rate increases my bill this year for Feb was only $3 more than the same bill last year. There's no direct comparison shown on the bill though. In January I think I saved $20 by being on TOU. The more you charge the car the more the savings is being on TOU. I haven't been driving that much. According to my app I've only used 343kw in the last 31 days.

So far it’s been working. I used 100 more KW than the same time last year and even with the rate increases my bill this year for Feb was only $3 more than the same bill last year. There's no direct comparison shown on the bill though. In January I think I saved $20 by being on TOU. The more you charge the car the more the savings is being on TOU. I haven't been driving that much. According to my app I've only used 343kw in the last 31 days.
Thank you! FPL has been very confusing - the customer service as well as documentation. What are the peak and off-peak rates per kWh you are seeing in your monthly bills? Are you also using net-metering ( with solar panels) as well?

Thank you! FPL has been very confusing - the customer service as well as documentation. What are the peak and off-peak rates per kWh you are seeing in your monthly bills? Are you also using net-metering ( with solar panels) as well?
I’m not using net metering. There’s four all in rates:

On Peak under 1000kw - $.1017 - ($.04701) = $.05469
Off Peak under 1000kw - $.1017 + $.13016 = $.23186
On Peak over 1000kw - $.1217 - ($.04701) = $.07469
Off Peak over 1000kw - $.1217 + $.13016 = $.25186

You also have a base charge of $8.99 that you pay regardless. So the rates above are what you’ll pay depending on when you’re using power and how much.

Also I showed the regular rates and the tou adjustments. You’ll have to figure out if it’s worth it for you. You save 1/2 of the standard cost during off peak but the on peak rate is more than double. So you really need to be diligent about keeping your on peak load to a minimum. If you’re not charging that much it won’t make a lot of sense to switch. Let’s say you add 60kwh during a charge that’s around $3.25 with tou vs $6 on the regular rate. If you charge that much twice a week for 4 weeks in a month you’re only looking at a $22ish overall savings. And you have to deal with the hassle of not running ac, washer, dryer, etc during on peak.

So yes I’m seeing some savings but I’ll have to see how it is in the summer when we run the AC a lot more. My wife does hate that I won’t let her run certain appliances during certain times.

I’m not using net metering. There’s four all in rates:

On Peak under 1000kw - $.1017 - ($.04701) = $.05469
Off Peak under 1000kw - $.1017 + $.13016 = $.23186
On Peak over 1000kw - $.1217 - ($.04701) = $.07469
Off Peak over 1000kw - $.1217 + $.13016 = $.25186

You also have a base charge of $8.99 that you pay regardless. So the rates above are what you’ll pay depending on when you’re using power and how much.
Am I understanding the numbers incorrectly, but why are the on-peak numbers much lower than off-peak?

Am I understanding the numbers incorrectly, but why are the on-peak numbers much lower than off-peak?
I just named them wrong, that's my bad, I was trying to reply while also working and doing a bunch of other stuff. I can't edit it anymore, but this is the correct table:

Off Peak under 1000kw - $.1017 - ($.04701) = $.05469
On Peak under 1000kw - $.1017 + $.13016 = $.23186
Off Peak over 1000kw - $.1217 - ($.04701) = $.07469
On Peak over 1000kw - $.1217 + $.13016 = $.25186

Thank you for all the information you provided!
My local driving is not much, though I go on long-trips when I typically use superchargers. Hence I am thinking TOU is not really for me.
I also use net metering with solar panels. That adds to the complexity. Maybe in summer (peak noon-9pm), it could be advantageous. Not sure if FPL will let me use TOU. I will ask.
I also have subscribed to SolarTogether. Not sure if that adds any complexity. Will update.