Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida FPL Time of Use Rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did call FPL. They had to open a case in the appropriate department before somebody knowledgeable was able to call me back after a week. Looking at my past usage they do not think it will be beneficial for me. They said that peak usage needs to be < 30% for the TOU to be avantageous. If you crunch the numbers it makes sense. Currently, non-TOU rates in my bill are 0.10858 (< 1000kWh) and 0.12858 (> 1000kWh - 2 cents higher). Your non-peak usage % needs to be 69.5% for TOU to break even, based on the TOU rates @Seminole gave. Even with my solar panels, I have reached that percentage only a couple of months last year.

I will change my usage to match TOU and see if it works out. I need to call FPL in a couple of months to get that analyzed to make a decision. At this time I am leaning towards not going for TOU as the benefit, if any, does not justify the inconvenience.

I did call FPL. They had to open a case in the appropriate department before somebody knowledgeable was able to call me back after a week. Looking at my past usage they do not think it will be beneficial for me. They said that peak usage needs to be < 30% for the TOU to be avantageous. If you crunch the numbers it makes sense. Currently, non-TOU rates in my bill are 0.10858 (< 1000kWh) and 0.12858 (> 1000kWh - 2 cents higher). Your non-peak usage % needs to be 69.5% for TOU to break even, based on the TOU rates @Seminole gave. Even with my solar panels, I have reached that percentage only a couple of months last year.

I will change my usage to match TOU and see if it works out. I need to call FPL in a couple of months to get that analyzed to make a decision. At this time I am leaning towards not going for TOU as the benefit, if any, does not justify the inconvenience.
I can tell you that currently I'm saving maybe $15-20 a month using TOU (my bills are in the $120-$150 range right now). As the weather warms up more I'll see how things go. I keep my air set to 78-79 during the day, but during the peak of the summer if the AC has to kick in a lot during the day to even keep it at that the saving might not be there because the on peak is more than double the standard rate. Also trying to be careful about not running laundry during peak rates, etc is pretty annoying and my wife isn't happy about it. In the grand scheme of things, an extra $20 savings a month might not really be worth the hassle.

I have two questions, one pretty directly on this subject and another that flows from it. Do you know how solar power that is fed into the grid at on-peak vs. off-peak are treated? Are they counted the same or different? Do they create generic credits, and how might those credits be applied (peak vs. off-peak)? Second, factoring in Powerwall time-based usage, does anyone know why it seems to be preferencing discharging from the battery while feeding into the grid during on-peak? I'm thinking it will end up discharging the battery down to the backup level and drawing from the grid because not enough solar power will be generated in the back half of the on-peak period. Thanks!

Same questions as @thunderdanp. Doesn’t seem like batteries would charge sufficiently during the summer off-peak time (6am-noon), specially in Florida with the storms we get almost every day (and all this week, for instance); if solar power was pushed/sold to the grid from noon to sunset, batteries would quickly start discharging to backup level; depending on 1) load in the house (is anyone or are any pets in the home during day that need cooling?) and 2) backup power reserve level set to for Powerwalls, the house may pull power from grid at on-peak cost, which would be crazy if it happened often. The lower risk option may be to use the powerwalls in their ‘default configuration’ and not set them for TOU “Time-Based control”. As it sits, we almost exclusively use off peak power with the default configuration (“Self-Powered” operational mode) but have pulled power from the grid, recently as early as 7:15pm. I’m going to call and ask. I’m assuming since 90%+ of our power use is off-peak we qualify. Also, 90% of the power we sell back is on-peak. I hope the rate we get paid is the on-peak rate. 👍🏼

I have two questions, one pretty directly on this subject and another that flows from it. Do you know how solar power that is fed into the grid at on-peak vs. off-peak are treated? Are they counted the same or different? Do they create generic credits, and how might those credits be applied (peak vs. off-peak)? Second, factoring in Powerwall time-based usage, does anyone know why it seems to be preferencing discharging from the battery while feeding into the grid during on-peak? I'm thinking it will end up discharging the battery down to the backup level and drawing from the grid because not enough solar power will be generated in the back half of the on-peak period. Thanks!
Both off-peak and on-peak delivery are treated the same for me, maybe because I do not use TOU. It could be different for @Seminole who is a TOU user. I wish Tesla provided a region-specific use case analysis. Per my analysis, in Florida, you would install the battery mainly for emergency power - hurricane and all. It is a pleasant surprise if it also makes sense economically.

I don’t have solar so I can’t speak to anything related to that. For reference to update my last post, last July to August my bill was $237. This year on TOU it was $182. Adjusting for the difference in usage the prior year would have been $223. Another factor as well is the increase that FPL did in January which makes this years bill higher. So about a $40-50 per month savings over the summer for me.

Reactions: Magnus0322
I don’t have solar so I can’t speak to anything related to that. For reference to update my last post, last July to August my bill was $237. This year on TOU it was $182. Adjusting for the difference in usage the prior year would have been $223. Another factor as well is the increase that FPL did in January which makes this years bill higher. So about a $40-50 per month savings over the summer for me.

Thank you for your very detailed explanation on all of this. I just got my MYLR and in 25 days of ownership I've charged 241 kWh at home and I've only had my Tesla Wall connector for a week. I'm thinking with the upcoming February rate increases it makes even more sense to move to TOU. I'll be calling FPL to set this up.

Just so I understand starting February 2023 (second rate increase of this year) the FPL TOU rates are:

Off Peak under 1000kw - $0.11678 - ($0.04362) = $0.07316
On Peak under 1000kw - $.11678 + $.13887 = $0.25574
Off Peak over 1000kw - $0.13670 - ($0.04819 = $0.08851
On Peak over 1000kw - $0.13670 + $0.13430 = $0.27100

And we have another rate increase later this year? That's rough. My home is really efficient so I've never gone over 1000 kWh even in the summer but it looks like I will this year with my Tesla. Definitely a lot to consider

Thank you for your very detailed explanation on all of this. I just got my MYLR and in 25 days of ownership I've charged 241 kWh at home and I've only had my Tesla Wall connector for a week. I'm thinking with the upcoming February rate increases it makes even more sense to move to TOU. I'll be calling FPL to set this up.

Just so I understand starting February 2023 (second rate increase of this year) the FPL TOU rates are:

Off Peak under 1000kw - $0.11678 - ($0.04362) = $0.07316
On Peak under 1000kw - $.11678 + $.13887 = $0.25574
Off Peak over 1000kw - $0.13670 - ($0.04819 = $0.08851
On Peak over 1000kw - $0.13670 + $0.13430 = $0.27100

And we have another rate increase later this year? That's rough. My home is really efficient so I've never gone over 1000 kWh even in the summer but it looks like I will this year with my Tesla. Definitely a lot to consider
I don't think your rates are correct based on the FPL rates website for the February 2023 price increase. Verify at https://www.fpl.com/content/dam/fplgp/us/en/rates/pdf/res-feb-2023.pdf
I called FPL yesterday and was told the regular residential rates (RS-1 plan) is the peak TOU rate, which is about 20 cents/kwh (difference >1000 kwh is a small spread or difference, like half of a cent). I recalculated the rate based on the FPL rates PDF and confirmed. The off-peak rate plan (RTR-1) is about 8.5 cents/kwh.

I have a Tesla with a 2nd ordered. I also have solar, which maybe covers 50% of my energy usage on average (it keeps me under 1000kwh used per month with the exception of August). I plan to switch to TOU asap after I receive FPL's "rate analysis", which I was told is the required 1st step before switching to the TOU plan and the installation of a new meter. You can always switch back to the regular RS-1 plan after one month. Seems like a no brainer to me, even if you don't have an EV. Will post again with more details.

I do recall looking into TOU with FPL before I received my Tesla four years ago and I remember the on-peak TOU rate well above the regular rate. Didn't make sense then, but it makes sense now. Assuming I understand the new rates correctly.

Last edited:
I don't think your rates are correct based on the FPL rates website for the February 2023 price increase. Verify at https://www.fpl.com/content/dam/fplgp/us/en/rates/pdf/res-feb-2023.pdf
I called FPL yesterday and was told the regular residential rates (RS-1 plan) is the peak TOU rate, which is about 20 cents/kwh (difference >1000 kwh is a small spread or difference, like half of a cent). I recalculated the rate based on the FPL rates PDF and confirmed. The off-peak rate plan (RTR-1) is about 8.5 cents/kwh.

I have a Tesla with a 2nd ordered. I also have solar, which maybe covers 50% of my energy usage on average (it keeps me under 1000kwh used per month with the exception of August). I plan to switch to TOU asap after I receive FPL's "rate analysis", which I was told is the required 1st step before switching to the TOU plan and the installation of a new meter. You can always switch back to the regular RS-1 plan after one month. Seems like a no brainer to me, even if you don't have an EV. Will post again with more details.

I do recall looking into TOU with FPL before I received my Tesla four years ago and I remember the on-peak TOU rate well above the regular rate. Didn't make sense then, but it makes sense now. Assuming I understand the new rates correctly.
Yeah the rates went up. RS1 plan is $0.11678 per kWh below 1000 kWh used and $0.13670 above 1000 kWh used. You have to add the base rate plus the other factors unless I'm not understanding the rate table.

The FPL people are truly incompetent. The first time I called the girl had no idea what Time Of Use was and tried telling me that is not something they offer. Proceeded to hang up on me. Second time they sent me to the Energy Expert department and the girl that answered was familiar but didn't exactly explain the program or the process. I called for a third time yesterday. I guess the energy analysis started right away and they are looking at my usage since I called last week and I'm supposed to get a call by February 3rd to let me know if TOU makes sense or not. Of course I had no idea they'd already started the rate analysis as the 2nd call made it sound like someone would be calling to sign me up for the program.

It's my understanding you do not need a new meter if you already have a smart meter in your home which most FL homes already do. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to do your rate analysis to begin with.

As someone else posted you have to have use like 66% of your electricity off peak to break even. For context in January 2021 I used 500ish kWh and January 2022 402 kWh of electricity total for the month. January 2023 was 983 kWh. Granted not all the increase came from the car as I was home more and it was warmer this year.

My Tesla Wall Charger was installed January 18th 2023 and I used the UMC to charge for about a week before. From January 12th until January 30th I ended up using 356 kWh to charge the car at a cost of $0.1128 per kWh (pre-Feb rate increase) since I used less than 1000 kWh for that service month. I'm projecting I'm going to use around 650 to 700 kWh just to drive the car every month. This makes charging the car more expensive (700 x $0.11678 = $81) than my previous Hybrid a 2020 Kia Niro LXS. I used to get 2 tanks of gas a month for about $60 a month. Granted I do seem to be driving the Tesla a lot more but my driving will stabilize once the novelty of the car wears off. In the end switching to TOU should be a no brainer as 700 x $0.07316 = $51. When I purchased the car I was expecting an extra $35-40 a month to my electric bill but I didn't take into account the FPL rate increase and the increased cost above 1000 kWh since I've never used that much electricity in 6 years that I've lived here.

I'm actually now considering I should sign up for the FPL Evolution deal since for $31 a month I can charge the car unlimited during off peak periods and that program stabilizes the charging costs over 10 years while FPL has another increase coming later this year and who knows how many more over the next decade. The cost to terminate early is $768. If I stay here for 2 more years even with the termination fee I'd break even. I anticipate I'll be here for more than 2 years so I'm truly thinking I should look into it and selling my Tesla Wall Connector.

Last edited:
Yeah the rates went up. RS1 plan is $0.11678 per kWh below 1000 kWh used and $0.13670 above 1000 kWh used. You have to add the base rate plus the other factors unless I'm not understanding the rate table.

The FPL people are truly incompetent. The first time I called the girl had no idea what Time Of Use was and tried telling me that is not something they offer. Proceeded to hang up on me. Second time they sent me to the Energy Expert department and the girl that answered was familiar but didn't exactly explain the program or the process. I called for a third time yesterday. I guess the energy analysis started right away and they are looking at my usage since I called last week and I'm supposed to get a call by February 3rd to let me know if TOU makes sense or not. Of course I had no idea they'd already started the rate analysis as the 2nd call made it sound like someone would be calling to sign me up for the program.

It's my understanding you do not need a new meter if you already have a smart meter in your home which most FL homes already do. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to do your rate analysis to begin with.

As someone else posted you have to have use like 66% of your electricity off peak to break even. For context in January 2021 I used 500ish kWh and January 2022 402 kWh of electricity total for the month. January 2023 was 983 kWh. Granted not all the increase came from the car as I was home more and it was warmer this year.

My Tesla Wall Charger was installed January 18th 2023 and I used the UMC to charge for about a week before. From January 12th until January 30th I ended up using 356 kWh to charge the car at a cost of $0.1128 per kWh (pre-Feb rate increase) since I used less than 1000 kWh for that service month. I'm projecting I'm going to use around 650 to 700 kWh just to drive the car every month. This makes charging the car more expensive (700 x $0.11678 = $81) than my previous Hybrid a 2020 Kia Niro LXS. I used to get 2 tanks of gas a month for about $60 a month. Granted I do seem to be driving the Tesla a lot more but my driving will stabilize once the novelty of the car wears off. In the end switching to TOU should be a no brainer as 700 x $0.07316 = $51. When I purchased the car I was expecting an extra $35-40 a month to my electric bill but I didn't take into account the FPL rate increase and the increased cost above 1000 kWh since I've never used that much electricity in 6 years that I've lived here.

I'm actually now considering I should sign up for the FPL Evolution deal since for $31 a month I can charge the car unlimited during off peak periods and that program stabilizes the charging costs over 10 years while FPL has another increase coming later this year and who knows how many more over the next decade. The cost to terminate early is $768. If I stay here for 2 more years even with the termination fee I'd break even. I anticipate I'll be here for more than 2 years so I'm truly thinking I should look into it and selling my Tesla Wall Connector.
I interpreted the FPL Evolution marketing the same, unlimited charging during off peak times for a flat fee using their charger. Seemed too good to be true so I called FPL about the Evolution charger program. The FPL energy rep said the electricity is not unlimited, you pay for what you use, but with TOU rates using their charger. From what I understood, the monthly fee is basically to pay for the charger and installation (higher fee if you don't have the correct breaker installed). Very misleading marketing.

I'm receiving the same treatment when I call FPL. Different information each time I call. They sent me a brochure for street lights instead of the rate analysis. Now I have to wait a few more days for their rate analysis. However, one guy I talked to at FPL said the rate analysis is not useful and TOU does not make send unless you use 80% of electricity usage during off peak times. 80%? Wtf. I'm more confused now than I was last week.

Last edited:
I interpreted the FPL Evolution marketing the same, unlimited charging during off peak times for a flat fee using their charger. Seemed too good to be true so I called FPL about the Evolution charger program. The FPL energy rep said the electricity is not unlimited, you pay for what you use, but with TOU rates using their charger. From what I understood, the monthly fee is basically to pay for the charger and installation (higher fee if you don't have the correct breaker installed). Very misleading marketing.
Your first instinct was correct. It is a flat rate per month ($31 or $38), and then as long as you charge during the off-peak hours, the electricity you use is free. You set up the FPL supplied charger to only work during off-peak hours and you can't make a mistake. The charger only allows charging during off-peak hours.

Here is a whole thread discussing this program. Just skim through the first few pages as we were trying to figure out how it worked.

Reactions: Malexjones
You're confusing and combining different programs. You cannot be on the TOU electric rate plan if you sign up for the FPL Evolution at home program.

FPL Evolution is a flat fee of $31 or $38 a month as long as you charge the car during off peak periods. Because the charger is monitored directly by FPL they will know when you charge outside of the off peak period and bill you at $0.28 per kW during on peak period. It can be really expensive to charge the car at those times but the charger they give you lets you place a setting to prevent charging during the expensive part. As long as you never mess up you just pay the flat fee.

Another caveat is that it's a 10 year contract and if you cancel before 5 years you have to pay $768 and get nothing. After 5 years you pay a pro rated amount and you keep the charger.

I'm receiving the same treatment when I call FPL. Different information each time I call. They sent me a brochure for street lights instead of the rate analysis. Now I have to wait a few more days for their rate analysis. However, one guy I talked to at FPL said the rate analysis is not useful and TOU does not make send unless you use 80% of electricity usage during off peak times. 80%? Wtf. I'm more confused now than I was last week.

I finally talked to the proper person above the energy expert level who does the energy analysis. He was actually really helpful and apologetic. He explained the process. I'm now signed up for the TOU rate but it won't take effect until either my meter is reprogrammed OTA or a new meter is physically installed (takes about 3 weeks). He put in both requests in case I do need a new meter. Once the meter is correctly set to TOU then I will start the TOU upon the commencement of my next full billing period. I'm expecting I won't be on TOU until April maybe May.

The TOU rates are as stated above earlier. Almost $0.09 per kW for off peak definitely sucks but it's still 50% cheaper than almost $0.12 per kW under the standard plan. FPL truly sucks.

I understand the Evolution charger is a different program than TOU billing. My comment about Evolution charger was based on how it was explained to me during my initial inquiry call, fee was for charger install only.
I like the flat fee billing, but not the long term commitment. I also hate the shady and inconsistent descriptions of their programs. Each time I call FPL and talk to an energy efficiency "expert" I receive different information than a previous call. So confusing and based on the posts here I am not alone.

Thanks @Magnus0322 for clarifying the Evolution program and thanks @FloridaJohn for providing the post link with further explanation.

I think the FPL Evolution program is the better fit for me because it provides more certainty in billing and is easier to understand. At least I've used my Tesla home wall charger for 4+ years, will have to give it to my brother.

The confusing TOU plan rate plan and varying explanations from FPL made me balk at TOU billing. I called again the other day and a guy told me I would need to use off-peak at least 80% of total electricity usage to make the plan worth it. My current most generous projections have me at 60% off-peak usage, and that's with a second Tesla. Plus, I don't what to harangue my wife constantly about using off-peak power for appliance use.

Thanks @Magnus0322 for clarifying the Evolution program and thanks @FloridaJohn for providing the post link with further explanation.

I think the FPL Evolution program is the better fit for me because it provides more certainty in billing and is easier to understand. At least I've used my Tesla home wall charger for 4+ years, will have to give it to my brother.

The confusing TOU plan rate plan and varying explanations from FPL made me balk at TOU billing. I called again the other day and a guy told me I would need to use off-peak at least 80% of total electricity usage to make the plan worth it. My current most generous projections have me at 60% off-peak usage, and that's with a second Tesla. Plus, I don't what to harangue my wife constantly about using off-peak power for appliance use.
Yeah it all depends on how much you drive. If you have 2 EV then it's a no brainer. For my use case I'd have to drive 1500 miles a month and keep the FPL Evolution program going for 2 years to break even if I were to move. I don't know where I'll be by then so I didn't want to commit to such a long term contract. There's another rate increase coming for FPL customers this year and it would be nice to have a flat $31 for charging my car. Still l set up my smart thermostat to operate with TOU periods in mind and I think I'll actually save even more money than staying on the standard plan. I guess I'll know better by the end of summer and perhaps switch back and sign up for the program then

I was on TOU for 14 months. Brand new home build.
My FPL contact explained to me that if you are on TOU, your bill is analyzed each month and if your usage would be cheaper on the RSR-1 rate they would bill that rate instead of TOU. Over the course of 14 months, and using around 3400kW per month we saved $575.

If you have someone home every day, all day, running AC and appliances, the TOU may not be good for you since you'll be paying more than double the rate for those on-peak hours. If your house is empty during the day and you can turn your AC up, and you area doing significant charging (I'm doing around 65kWh every night), then TOU may be best for you. Otherwise i would suggest staying on the standard rate.

The others are correct that if you are on TOU, you can't even get past the intro screen on the EV charger application. It took me about 3 weeks of calling the FPS programs line before someone figured this out, and another week for my contact who did my TOU setup to get me removed and my meter reprogrammed so that I could apply.

After application was submitted it was only 5 days before I had an appt scheduled for install (tomorrow actually).
I expect to save around $200/month on this new flat rate billing with my day time on-peak usage rate cut in half.

Anyone get FPL to switch them to TOU in the last few months? I called FPL about a month ago and after spending over an hour on hold and getting transferred between different departments, I was told I needed to wait for a phone call, which I would receive in the next 15 business days (3 wks). They even asked what time window I'd prefer to receive that call. A couple days shy of that 3 week mark, I called them back and was told that whoever I spoke to was mistaken and that they don't call customers (I've heard differently on TMC and Reddit) and that they actually send out a "package" that was showing as already sent and should arrive that same week. The following week I called back and told them I didn't receive anything and they couldn't tell me why nothing ever came. The address they had was correct. That person also confirmed it was a package, not a phone call, that I was waiting on, although its possible it was the same employee the last two times. She apologized and said she'd re-send the package and that she'd put a priority flag on it. I asked how long it would be with the priority flag....15 business days. So the priority thing was total BS. I don't have high hopes that this time will somehow be magically different. Anyone have any info on how to get this to happen? Its crazy I can't just sign up online for it.

I have solar and 4 powerwalls and two EVs and have custom-coded software that flips the settings on my powerwalls and determines when my cars should charge to make sure I don't end up with any extra peak credits but that I also don't use any peak power. It also tracks every kWh and gives me an estimated ongoing bill with the flat rate and the TOU plan. I've been running it for over a month now and it has managed to prevent any peak use at all while keeping peek credits very low, and it looks like its going to save me about $100/mo on my bill. So the delays are expensive. Any tips for getting FPL to switch me over?

I was on TOU for 14 months. Brand new home build.
My FPL contact explained to me that if you are on TOU, your bill is analyzed each month and if your usage would be cheaper on the RSR-1 rate they would bill that rate instead of TOU. Over the course of 14 months, and using around 3400kW per month we saved $575.

If you have someone home every day, all day, running AC and appliances, the TOU may not be good for you since you'll be paying more than double the rate for those on-peak hours. If your house is empty during the day and you can turn your AC up, and you area doing significant charging (I'm doing around 65kWh every night), then TOU may be best for you. Otherwise i would suggest staying on the standard rate.

The others are correct that if you are on TOU, you can't even get past the intro screen on the EV charger application. It took me about 3 weeks of calling the FPS programs line before someone figured this out, and another week for my contact who did my TOU setup to get me removed and my meter reprogrammed so that I could apply.

After application was submitted it was only 5 days before I had an appt scheduled for install (tomorrow actually).
I expect to save around $200/month on this new flat rate billing with my day time on-peak usage rate cut in half.
I need to follow up. I called them ~ 6 wks ago concerning TOU plan and they said I need to have a usage analysis done and that this would take about 3 weeks. It's been crickets.

Dealing with FPL is like dealing with government. FPL hates home solar. Solar with PW to TOU plan, that's a mortal enemy to them. But in the end its just decimal dust to their financials.

Good Luck.

Reactions: gnxs