Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida HOV Sticker Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow Sunshine Staters,

One week ago I put down the deposit for my new Tesla, and spoke to the agent at my delivery location in West Palm earlier today. He said that they can handle getting the plates from my old car transferred over to my new Tesla. However, it would be about 3-4 weeks before my official registration comes through the mail, at which time I can go to the DMV and get my HOV sticker.

I understand that them handling the plates is supposed to save me a trip to the DMV, but since I'd have to go anyway to get my HOV sticker, why not just go to the DMV to get my plates transferred, get my registration there, then get my HOV sticker in one fell swoop. It sounds logical to me, but the agent on the phone sounded surprised when I asked about it. Has anybody had a similar experience?

And on a side note, does anybody have a recommendation on where to put that large, ugly square sticker? Prius owners seem to slap it in the upper trunk like a badge of honor, but from my perspective all it does is crap up the beauty of the luxury sedan. It would be great if the FHP would recognize a Tesla and let us go without the sticker!

.... does anybody have a recommendation on where to put that large, ugly square sticker? ....
I have a vanity plate like this and I've had my HOV sticker directly on my plate (covering the Flamingo) for about a year and a half. Cops don't seem to mind. I had to trim the sticker about a quarter inch.
Everglades plate 4.png

I plan to do the same on my P90D, but the ludicrous acceleration may leave the sticker on the starting line.:smile:

Last edited:
And on a side note, does anybody have a recommendation on where to put that large, ugly square sticker? Prius owners seem to slap it in the upper trunk like a badge of honor, but from my perspective all it does is crap up the beauty of the luxury sedan. It would be great if the FHP would recognize a Tesla and let us go without the sticker!
I was told that the location is the lower right side of the rear window in order to be easily visible to the overhead license plate readers that sense the stickers. That is where mine is and i do hate having it there. But, when i go in the HOV lanes despite my nosecone-mounted Sunpass the Sunpass has yet to be charged fro going in an HOV lane, so they must be reading the HOV sticker too. I do not know the facts.

I was told that the location is the lower right side of the rear window in order to be easily visible to the overhead license plate readers that sense the stickers. That is where mine is and i do hate having it there. But, when i go in the HOV lanes despite my nosecone-mounted Sunpass the Sunpass has yet to be charged fro going in an HOV lane, so they must be reading the HOV sticker too. I do not know the facts.
I assume you're talking about the 95 Express lanes which exempt HOV-sticker cars from any fees if they remove their SunPass transponders while driving in the 95 Express lanes.

Like you, I also have a nosecone-mounted SunPass transponder that I can't remove while driving but I've never been charged for driving in a 95 Express lane.

Since my HOV sticker is on my License Plate, I don't think they read the HOV sticker from the overhead cameras. Instead, I think we are listed in the SunPass database as exempt because we are HOV.

Instructions are lower right corner of rear windshield. Placed anywhere else and you may get a HOV violation ticket even if you have a HOV sticker somewhere else. Depends on the stopping officer if they are that type. Not worth the risk in my opinion. I know my luck.
If you drive south the I95 Express lanes are free once you register. Must be done after you have an HOV sticker registration.That sticker is supposed to be on lower front windshield but not needed as the traffic cameras have the plate registered and should not be charged.
Sunpass may or may not be charged if it reads that. I have read both ways that plate was linked to 95 Express and should not be billed by Sunpass if it reads it. Others said Sunpass must be shielded. No first hand experience on that.
Either way the 95 Express registration is free.
Only gotcha is the 595 express lanes are always charged. No breaks there.

I assume you're talking about the 95 Express lanes ... Instead, I think we are listed in the SunPass database as exempt because we are HOV.
You're correct. I simply did not read the Sunpass information, which clearly says it is the licence plate reading that does the link to charges. Makes sense, that is why the registration at Sunpass is required!

Instructions are lower right corner of rear windshield. Placed anywhere else and you may get a HOV violation ticket even if you have a HOV sticker somewhere else. Depends on the stopping officer if they are that type. Not worth the risk in my opinion. I know my luck.

Thanks for that insight. The thought of putting it in the lower right corner of this windshield feels a bit clunky, but maybe if I round the corner with some scissors it would look a bit cleaner. At least it isn't as bad as California where you have to put stickers on the back and sides as if you are a sponsored Indy Car.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365728044.571515.jpg

Sunpass may or may not be charged if it reads that. I have read both ways that plate was linked to 95 Express and should not be billed by Sunpass if it reads it. Others said Sunpass must be shielded. No first hand experience on that. Either way the 95 Express registration is free.

I'm leaning towards just putting my external transponder in my glove compartment since people have confirmed that you won't be charged an extra fee without a transponder, as long as your license plate is registered on the SunPass website. I'm OK with manually sticking my hand out of the sunroof if I park at an airport garage.

Only gotcha is the 595 express lanes are always charged. No breaks there.

I forgot about those! Thanks for the clarification. I don't take 595 regularly, but the express lanes are closed every time I go past there.

Attachments

• tesla-model-s.jpg
    tesla-model-s.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 383
The rule is that EVs get a free pass in any lane that used to be an HOV lane and was later converted to be an Express Pay lane (like 95).

If the lane was originally built as an Express Pay lane, no free pass for EVs (like 595).

Sunpass may or may not be charged if it reads that. I have read both ways that plate was linked to 95 Express and should not be billed by Sunpass if it reads it. Others said Sunpass must be shielded. No first hand experience on that.

I'm leaning towards just putting my external transponder in my glove compartment since people have confirmed that you won't be charged an extra fee without a transponder, as long as your license plate is registered on the SunPass website. I'm OK with manually sticking my hand out of the sunroof if I park at an airport garage.

I have no direct experience with Florida HOV lanes. However, I have found that velcroing my SunPass transponder to the rear view mirror stalk works for other non-HOV situations, and since it is temporarily mounted you are able to remove it and place it in the glove compartment or a foil bag to shield it from being read in HOV situations.

Larry

Bill,

Did you have to register as an EV with surpass or are the Teslas automatically taken care of? Hows the new 90 so far???
I doubt its automatic and there's no way to register as an EV with SunPass, but yet they seem to somehow know not to charge me for 95 Express lane use. I suspect either Commuter Services tells Sunpass when you register for their 95 Express exemption (they say they don't) or the Florida DMV tells them when you buy an HOV sticker. Some Tesla owners say they are still charged for 95 Express lane use, but I don't understand why.

I'll be doing this all again with our 2nd Tesla, so I'll find out if 95 Express lane charges are also exempted with that car. Maybe it was a fluke on our 1st car.

How's the 90? - I've been so busy on a couple of projects since getting it 2 days ago that I haven't had much time with it yet.

I doubt its automatic and there's no way to register as an EV with SunPass...
for I95 express land use there is a separate registration. It is free, but you'll be issued a 95 Express sticker to place inside your left lower windshield. Then you'll be free for 95 express lane usage. PM me if you have more questions. It takes a few days to receive the sticker, which is dependent upon prior receipt of the Florida HOV registration.

Reference to an earlier post I received a letter from 95 Express stating Sunpass must be shielded when using the 95 Express lanes.
I meant to post earlier and just forgot. I don't use the lanes but it definitely said you need to shield the Sunpass. Sunpass will mail you a protective Mylar type bag if you have a removable pass.
Sticker ones are out of luck as well as bumper mount ones.

Reference to an earlier post I received a letter from 95 Express stating Sunpass must be shielded when using the 95 Express lanes.
I meant to post earlier and just forgot. I don't use the lanes but it definitely said you need to shield the Sunpass. Sunpass will mail you a protective Mylar type bag if you have a removable pass.
Sticker ones are out of luck as well as bumper mount ones.
I use the 95 Express lanes, I have a FL state HOV sticker on my car, I'm registered with commuter services but don't have their sticker on my car, I have a bumper mount transponder, I don't use the shield, I don't get charged on 95 Express lanes and I'm not sure why.

I have not yet got an HOV sticker for my 2nd Tesla, but when I do, I'll do it all again the same way and I'll see if I'm also not charged with that car.

I use the 95 Express lanes, I have a FL state HOV sticker on my car, I'm registered with commuter services but don't have their sticker on my car, I have a bumper mount transponder, I don't use the shield, I don't get charged on 95 Express lanes and I'm not sure why.

I have not yet got an HOV sticker for my 2nd Tesla, but when I do, I'll do it all again the same way and I'll see if I'm also not charged with that car.
I have similar experience, although I do have the 95 Express sticker on my windshield. I do not understand why I have not been charged since my Surpassed is mounted behind the grille and is not shielded. I suspect maybe they cancel the charge automatically based on license number which is registered with both Surpass and South Florida (95 Express) but the only basis I have for that is that I have not been charged. BTW, another Tesla owner I know uses the 95 Express lanes twice each workday and is NOT registered and he says he's not charged either. Maybe they recognize Teslas?
That seems implausible.

I have similar experience, although I do have the 95 Express sticker on my windshield. I do not understand why I have not been charged since my Surpassed is mounted behind the grille and is not shielded. I suspect maybe they cancel the charge automatically based on license number which is registered with both Surpass and South Florida (95 Express) but the only basis I have for that is that I have not been charged. BTW, another Tesla owner I know uses the 95 Express lanes twice each workday and is NOT registered and he says he's not charged either. Maybe they recognize Teslas?
That seems implausible.
Your friend may be the key to solving this mystery since he is NOT registered with Commuter Services and is NOT charged for 95 Express tolls.

Has he bought an HOV sticker from the Florida DMV? If so, that purchase may be the ONLY thing that caused the SunPass database to NOT charge any 95 Express tolls to his transponder (or to his tag if he doesn't have a transponder).

Registering with Commuter Services may be totally unnecessary, which would explain why their sticker seems to be not needed and why their instructions to temporarily shield the SunPass transponder seem to be not needed.