Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida HOV Sticker Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stupid question. What are the colors of the 2016 and 2017 HOV stickers? I am about to renew my registration and need to know whether to do 1 or 2 years, based on the best color :)
For registrations that renew during 2015, your choice is Red (1 yr) or Blue (2 yr). I had the same choice when I renewed in Jan 2015. I got Blue.

Florida HOV sticker colors cycle every 4 years:
- Stickers that expire during 2016 are Red
- Stickers that expire during 2017 are Blue
- Stickers that expire during 2018 are Orange
- Stickers that expire during 2019 are Green

Thanks for the information. I wish I had known that when I bought one a few months ago.
Coincidentally, the registration for our 2nd Tesla arrived yesterday, so I went to buy an HOV sticker and realized the registration was only good for one year, so I was limited to a Red sticker. However, next year I can renew for either one or two years and get into sync. But who cares about stinkin' HOV sticker colors - I just got my V7 update and I'm outta' here to spend the day playing with Autopilot!

Coincidentally, the registration for our 2nd Tesla arrived yesterday, so I went to buy an HOV sticker and realized the registration was only good for one year, so I was limited to a Red sticker. However, next year I can renew for either one or two years and get into sync.

Yep same with me. The reason was my registration expires on my birthday next year so they couldn't do HOV registration for longer than the vehicle. That ugly red square really craps up a sleek looking automobile, but I get over it real quick when I drive to work in the morning and fly past the traffic buildup.

Coincidentally, the registration for our 2nd Tesla arrived yesterday, so I went to buy an HOV sticker and realized the registration was only good for one year, so I was limited to a Red sticker. However, next year I can renew for either one or two years and get into sync. But who cares about stinkin' HOV sticker colors - I just got my V7 update and I'm outta' here to spend the day playing with Autopilot!

By the way, I'm not sure you'll be able renew for 2 years next year, since IIRC the benefit for low emissions vehicles ends in 2017 and FLDOT has already decided to not renew.

By the way, I'm not sure you'll be able renew for 2 years next year, since IIRC the benefit for low emissions vehicles ends in 2017 and FLDOT has already decided to not renew.
Yes, I do recall reading an article a couple years ago that said the applicable federal rule or guideline was ending Sept 2017. After that, only vehicles with multiple occupants will be allowed in HOV lanes during rush hours with no exceptions, nationwide. Maybe that rule or guideline will be extended. I just did a search and found this http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/386

Just got my big red ugly HOV sticker. I can't bring myself to stick this on the back glass. It really makes the car look bad. Anyone come up with a different solution?
Congrats on the Model X.

We have vanity plates like this on both our Teslas and we have our HOV stickers directly on our plates (covering the Flamingo). I had to trim the stickers about a quarter inch.
attachment.php?attachmentid=90975&d=1439954508.png

Congrats on the Model X.

We have vanity plates like this on both our Teslas and we have our HOV stickers directly on our plates (covering the Flamingo). I had to trim the stickers about a quarter inch.
attachment.php?attachmentid=90975&d=1439954508.png
Actually have a model s. Model x is waiting for production though.. thanks...

Is that legal to stick it on the plate? What about sticking it to the right of the plate? That would be much better than on the back glass.

Actually have a model s. Model x is waiting for production though.. thanks...

Is that legal to stick it on the plate? What about sticking it to the right of the plate? That would be much better than on the back glass.
Sorry, from your screen name, I assumed you had a Model X. We've had it on our plate for over 2 years on one Tesla and 6 months on the other and never had a problem. To the right of the plate seems good too.

My MS was delivered about two months ago, and I went through all the headaches of getting both the HOV sticker from the DMV and the 95 Express sticker from South Florida commuter services. I know the 95 Express one needs to be renewed separately, but what about the HOV sticker? Do you automatically get a new one when you renew your tag, or is there somewhere else where that has to be done manually?

Also, I see no one has posted here for about a year... in case anyone missed it, the free 95 Express tolling program has been extended through at least September 2019.

My MS was delivered about two months ago, and I went through all the headaches of getting both the HOV sticker from the DMV and the 95 Express sticker from South Florida commuter services. I know the 95 Express one needs to be renewed separately, but what about the HOV sticker? Do you automatically get a new one when you renew your tag, or is there somewhere else where that has to be done manually?

Also, I see no one has posted here for about a year... in case anyone missed it, the free 95 Express tolling program has been extended through at least September 2019.

When it comes to registration renewal, they do not automatically rewnew the HOV sticker and you have to add the fee to your check and attach a sticky note you want the HOV sticker. You can renew the HOV for one year or two years.