TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Florida No. 2 in the nation in number of Tesla Model S cars on the road

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Larry Chanin, Aug 4, 2015.

1. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Wish Tesla would breakdown new deliveries by state.

2. deonb

deonb Active Member

That's purely based on CPO sales. I think WA state is still the second with overall sales.

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

No, please reread the article.

Here's the first sentence:

Larry

4. Electric700

Electric700 Member

That's great! Thanks for the link.

5. deonb

deonb Active Member

See:

"Edmunds.com examined registration data of all 1,600 Tesla Model S cars that have ever been sold in the pre-owned market in the U.S. New car sales information was not available."

6. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

7. Larry Chanin

Thanks for the article. If you review the table you will see that it supports my point.

Florida is second in both used market share and also second in new market share behind California.

Tesla Model S Market Share by State.jpg

Larry

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

I'm not necessarily doubting the numbers, just the methodology.

So it still says: "Edmunds has conducted a little study of Tesla’s certified pre-owned (CPO) program and has come up with some interesting findings."

How exactly do they extrapolate new sales by looking at CPO numbers?

9. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

That's not exactly clear, deonb. I've read about four articles based on that Edmunds study. I know they looked at 1,600 registrations and used statistical sampling from that. I presume that 1.6K includes both new and CPO buyers.

Sure would like to find the original study so we could judge for ourselves instead of being spoon fed what the writer thinks it means...

10. Larry Chanin

As was pointed out we don't have the Edmunds study so we are guessing. Yes, Edmunds studied the CPO program and came up with interesting findings.

However, my interpretation is that they have two sets of data and that they are not extrapolating new sales by looking at CPO numbers.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

My interpretation is different. Here's a quote from the article I referenced:

Here's a quote from the article that you referenced:

In both cases I interpret that to mean that the 1,600 cars are used or bought through the CPO program.

Larry

11. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

You're correct, Larry. Article in Fortune 4 weeks (the week the study was released) says it was 1600 CPO sales. That's way more CPO's moved than Hank's Consolidator shows, so they must be selling more CPO than has been captured by that tool.

I dunno...Tesla CPO website went live 4/24. Edmunds study came out July 8. 1600 sales, 10 weeks? With 280 active listings?? No way, something doesn't add up. It's not possible they sold that many CPO.

ER late afternoon Wednesday, maybe we'll learn more about CPO volume then.

12. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    I am certainly a Florida fan, but...

How about Texas as Number 4 despite every impediment the State can throw at Tesla. Despite the prohibition of free enterprise in car sales in Texas it is still number 4. How much would be the sales volume were the state to permit Freedom of Choice by the residents of the State?

13. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

#14 BoerumHill, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    OK, here's the original report. It's 1,600 used Tesla registrations, which at that time would have been MOSTLY private sales as the CPO launched April 24. Up thread I was mistaken about when the data was collected and what it included because I was relying upon writers interpretation of the Edmunds report.

Who Is the Used Tesla Model S Buyer? | Edmunds.com

ETA: Last night at 10:10 EST SF moved 26 hidden cars (previously listed, unsold & removed from active website) back to the SF CPO site. They now list 66 instead of 40, and SD increased to 42 by moving a couple hidden listings. I think we will now see all locations have more than 40 listings shortly.

ETA2: edited post as I misinterpreted the Edmunds report was CPO only.