Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida owners with panoramic roof do we need the sun shade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meaning you think that Tesla will still come through and retrofit a manual sunshade for those of us who ordered the Panoramic Roof when the sunshade was advertised as a free option?

There is every chance they will do so (Remember the reading lights for the rear seat passengers?). Of course when is a totally different question. I believe we're still waiting for lighted mirrors in the visors.

There is every chance they will do so (Remember the reading lights for the rear seat passengers?). Of course when is a totally different question. I believe we're still waiting for lighted mirrors in the visors.

Yes, if I recall correctly the improved lighted visor mirror and rear reading lights were promised even before the sunshade. Well, hope springs eternal. :wink:

I'm wondering if in the heat of the Florida summer I'm going to have to pay for tinting because Tesla is not highly motivated to act on their promise to deliver the sunshade.

Larry

Tesla has a habit of removing things that aren't currently shipping. I wouldn't read too much into it.
I've noticed that pattern as well. I think legal makes a pass through "public statements and web pages" periodically and flags anything that's not currently being delivered as "a concern". And that triggers a nudge to either immediately address that in the next vehicles off the line or remove it from the specification pages, etc.

I'm wondering if in the heat of the Florida summer I'm going to have to pay for tinting because Tesla is not highly motivated to act on their promise to deliver the sunshade.

A concern in Texas as well. However, I'd suggest that more heat comes through the windshield and hatch windows than comes through the pano roof. I'd go for Crystaline 90% before I did any more with the pano roof. I really dislike anything that actually darkens the windows because of poor night visibility and because every car I've seen up close (meaning 10 cm away from the window while riding in the car) the tinting looks just awful--even if it looks great in the photos or from 2 metres away. And, of course, side window tinting is a big safety issue.

A concern in Texas as well. However, I'd suggest that more heat comes through the windshield and hatch windows than comes through the pano roof. I'd go for Crystaline 90% before I did any more with the pano roof. I really dislike anything that actually darkens the windows because of poor night visibility and because every car I've seen up close (meaning 10 cm away from the window while riding in the car) the tinting looks just awful--even if it looks great in the photos or from 2 metres away. And, of course, side window tinting is a big safety issue.

What makes it "look awful" from the inside up close?

I'm considering the Huper Optic Layered Nano ceramic for the windows. Supposed to cut heat by 50-60% and provide clear sight from inside with no effect on signal transmission. I believe the standard Pano roof provides adequate heat protection as is.

What makes it "look awful" from the inside up close?

All the ones I've seen have been scratched up so they are dark with some very visible scratches. I assume that's from rolling the windows up and down because the scratches are vertical. They just look like something has been stuck on rather than something that built in.

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I don't intend to tint the pano roof. The only thing that I really want, assuming it is well-crafted, is the manual sunshade. It has the advantage of being variable. If Tesla were to reneg on the sunshade I might eventually be forced to tint the windows further, not the pano roof.

Larry

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I don't intend to tint the pano roof. The only thing that I really want, assuming it is well-crafted, is the manual sunshade. It has the advantage of being variable. If Tesla were to reneg on the sunshade I might eventually be forced to tint the windows further, not the pano roof.

Larry

WE CANNOT ALLOW TESLA TO RENEG ON THE PANO SUNSHADE! The additional heat, light, and SOUND attenuation from the pano, that a decent sunshade will provide, need to be supplied as originally represented! I will become a real pain in the A.. with Tesla management if they try to reneg.

WE CANNOT ALLOW TESLA TO RENEG ON THE PANO SUNSHADE! The additional heat, light, and SOUND attenuation from the pano, that a decent sunshade will provide, need to be supplied as originally represented! I will become a real pain in the A.. with Tesla management if they try to reneg.

I want the sunshade as well, but Tesla doesn't have a great track record here. Fog lights, cup holders, parcel shelf changes, cf spoiler changes- all done without communication or regard for people who had ordered them prior to the change. I don't think the sunshades are going to happen.

I want the sunshade as well, but Tesla doesn't have a great track record here. Fog lights, cup holders, parcel shelf changes, cf spoiler changes- all done without communication or regard for people who had ordered them prior to the change. I don't think the sunshades are going to happen.

If those of us that want it are apathetic and willing to "settle" for a reneg on the sunshade, then it certainly won't happen. A car of the stature of the MS should be comparable to a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. Anyone every seen one of those without a sunshade one of those that have a sunroof? My position is that a "sunshade reneg" is not negotiable.

This is a sunshade we are talking about, right? The pano roof lets in very little heat or light. For a car parked in the sun for many hours, it will heat up anyway through the other windows unless you have all windows including the windshield as darkly tinted as the pano roof. As for sound, don't think a sunshade will help much with sound and don't notice any sound anyway unless you have the pano roof squeak.
You might be better off without the pano roof if you can still change your order.

:smile:YES. Had my car for over two months. Love it AND I want the sunshade I was promised, in writing, before I committed. I do get more wind noise at high speeds than I should (especially with crosswinds). Tesla service will be looking at that, BUT I still expect the sunshade. Sunshades on the "other brands" definitely attenuate the wind noise. If even Kia can do it, so can Tesla.

My Model S is certainly comparable to a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. But "comparable" does not mean "feature-for-feature equivalent", nor should it. The Model S does not offer every feature that the others do, in the same way that the others don't offer some things that my Model S does. My wife's BMW has parking-assist sensors, cameras all around the car for a bird's-eye view, lane departure warning, blind-spot detection, an infrared camera to avoid running over pedestrians or animals on dark roads at night, and a bunch of cupholders. She says that some of those are important to her, and she'll wait until Tesla offers them to switch. She has optimistically reserved a Model X, but may or may not follow through on the purchase. I don't mind, and I prefer the strengths of the Model S.

I'm quite happy with my pano roof as-is. No real heat issues even in 90F Florida days. No noise issue at all. I don't personally care whether Tesla offers the sunshade or not. So my advice to you would be: forget the bit about matching other brands feature for feature. Ain't gonna happen and you'll lose the argument because it's flat-out inapplicable. Discuss the sunshade only in terms of a broken promise, and you'll have your best shot at success.

My Model S is certainly comparable to a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. But "comparable" does not mean "feature-for-feature equivalent", nor should it. The Model S does not offer every feature that the others do, in the same way that the others don't offer some things that my Model S does.
Agreed, the Model S is definitely NOT "like" the other luxo-performance sedans - and that's precisely what makes it so great. Regarding the sun-shade... I don't feel it's necessary and it would likely look shoddy and interfere with the openness of the cabin.

Just curious -- any thoughts about a DIY shade?

I'm in AZ -- and park in a garage both at home and work. But having something that can be put up when parking outside might be helpful. Might be as simple as one of the reflective windshield screens and seeing if a spring-loaded two can fit up by the roof glass... But the size may mean building a custom-sized one...

Tesla reads these threads and I would be very disappointed if they backed away from their prior commitment to furnish the sunshade.

Larry