Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida owners with panoramic roof do we need the sun shade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S is certainly comparable to a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. But "comparable" does not mean "feature-for-feature equivalent", nor should it. The Model S does not offer every feature that the others do, in the same way that the others don't offer some things that my Model S does. My wife's BMW has parking-assist sensors, cameras all around the car for a bird's-eye view, lane departure warning, blind-spot detection, an infrared camera to avoid running over pedestrians or animals on dark roads at night, and a bunch of cupholders. She says that some of those are important to her, and she'll wait until Tesla offers them to switch. She has optimistically reserved a Model X, but may or may not follow through on the purchase. I don't mind, and I prefer the strengths of the Model S.

I'm quite happy with my pano roof as-is. No real heat issues even in 90F Florida days. No noise issue at all. I don't personally care whether Tesla offers the sunshade or not. So my advice to you would be: forget the bit about matching other brands feature for feature. Ain't gonna happen and you'll lose the argument because it's flat-out inapplicable. Discuss the sunshade only in terms of a broken promise, and you'll have your best shot at success.
Thanks for your suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla reads these threads and I would be very disappointed if they backed away from their prior commitment to furnish the sunshade.

Larry
Larry, that's why I post on this subject every time I have a chance (even though I'm not a Florida owner:)) I do need to learn how to post pixs on this blog.

This is a sunshade we are talking about, right? The pano roof lets in very little heat or light. For a car parked in the sun for many hours, it will heat up anyway through the other windows unless you have all windows including the windshield as darkly tinted as the pano roof. As for sound, don't think a sunshade will help much with sound and don't notice any sound anyway unless you have the pano roof squeak.

While it is true that the other windows are sources of heat load, the fact is that the panoramic roof is the largest surface in a direct line with the sun. Being able to reduce the heat load of the panoramic roof by 19% when needed will have a measurable effect on the A/C load and as a consequence a measurable effect on range. Having a well-constructed shade of course doesn't preclude adding additional tinting to the windows to further reduce the heat load and further improve range.

I agree, I don't notice any sound coming from the pano roof when it is closed so it is hard for me to visualize a further decrease in sound via the introduction of the shade. I do have serious concerns about how Tesla would implement this retrofit. I don't want it to look like a low quality after-thought and of course I would be very unhappy if it actually introduced rattles and noise.

I believe the onus remains with Tesla to follow through and produce the sun shade retrofit that they promised when they intially advertised it. I would like them to demonstrate its quality and operation to those of us who are interested. I don't want to be surpised when leaving the Service Center only to find out I have an ugly noisemaker attached to my roof.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

My Model S is certainly comparable to a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. But "comparable" does not mean "feature-for-feature equivalent", nor should it. The Model S does not offer every feature that the others do, in the same way that the others don't offer some things that my Model S does. My wife's BMW has parking-assist sensors, cameras all around the car for a bird's-eye view, lane departure warning, blind-spot detection, an infrared camera to avoid running over pedestrians or animals on dark roads at night, and a bunch of cupholders. She says that some of those are important to her, and she'll wait until Tesla offers them to switch. She has optimistically reserved a Model X, but may or may not follow through on the purchase. I don't mind, and I prefer the strengths of the Model S.

I'm quite happy with my pano roof as-is. No real heat issues even in 90F Florida days. No noise issue at all. I don't personally care whether Tesla offers the sunshade or not. So my advice to you would be: forget the bit about matching other brands feature for feature. Ain't gonna happen and you'll lose the argument because it's flat-out inapplicable. Discuss the sunshade only in terms of a broken promise, and you'll have your best shot at success.

Hi Rodolfo,

I agree that Tesla should not feel compelled to offer "feature-for-feature equivalents" of competing luxury or even less expensive cars.

However, as you state they should feel compelled to follow through on promises that they have made, particularly since this feature was advertised as an included option when many of us placed our orders.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, the Model S is definitely NOT "like" the other luxo-performance sedans - and that's precisely what makes it so great. Regarding the sun-shade... I don't feel it's necessary and it would likely look shoddy and interfere with the openness of the cabin.

Hi Steve,

In the absence of a shade for us to inspect, I don't see how you can make any inferences as to how the shade would look or function. My understanding is that other manufacturers have implemented shades without interfering with the openness of the cabin.

Larry

Hi Steve,

In the absence of a shade for us to inspect, I don't see how you can make any inferences as to how the shade would look or function. My understanding is that other manufacturers have implemented shades without interfering with the openness of the cabin.

Larry
I suppose you're right Larry, I'm developing a pre-concieved opinion without seeing the actual device. I'll check out yours after you get it and see if I like it :)

Steve.

My car is being built with the pano. I also ordered on the premise that part of the deal was the promised sunshade. I am going to be upset if yet another item promised for the vehicle is not delivered.