TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Florida Sales Tax on Post-delivery Software Upgrades (battery capacity unlock, AP, FSD, etc.)

Discussion in 'Florida' started by GeekLad, Aug 8, 2017.

1. GeekLad

GeekLad Member

Does anyone know if sales tax is applied to software upgrades purchased after taking delivery? If sales tax isn't applied, that helps to absorb a bit of the post-delivery upcharge on software upgrades.

2. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

There probably is tax today.
    When I upgraded my car to LTE and later to P85D there was no tax applied to either transaction. That was more than two years ago. I'm guessing that was an early error rather than an intentional exclusion, but I do not know that for sure.

3. GoCanes

GoCanes Member

• Like x 1
  4. GeekLad

GeekLad Member

Yeah, I would think the LTE upgrade should have included sales tax for the hardware at least. There probably was an unintentional omission.

They're referring to things like SaaS, PaaS, IaaS (Software, Platform, Infrastructure as a Service), which are typically charged as regular subscription service fees. Software updates to Tesla vehicles aren't subscriptions, it's a one-time download/installation of software, so I don't think what they're describing in that article would apply.

• Like x 1
  5. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

That is one ambiguous field for Tesla. However both the Ludicrous and LTE were physical installations, although it is plausible that both were installations in support of SaaS or PaaS, in which case the non-cloud aspects would still seem to be taxable. There may be additional exemptions that are not in that statute but I think @GoCanes is correct and that @GeekLad probably is too. After all, both of my examples would have been taxable had they been ordered as options prior to delivery.