Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Solar Roof Insurance problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone I have a Tesla solar roof on order and my current homeowners insurance covers solar but excludes Tesla solar shingles . I called 3 other companies and I get the same response . I live in the Tampa Bay Area. Any existing solar roof owners have any recommendations?

Thanks in advanced!

Which did you do ?
My house was built in 1966. Since it was built, it has had 0 insurance claims and only 1 major Hurricane in this area. I live on Merritt Island on the Canal right by Kennedy Space Center (NASA has their launch facilities because this part of central Florida is rarely affected by storms).

I factored all of this in and I am considering to just exclude the roof (I am on Day 8 of install). My other option would be to carry no home owners insurance at all and just use personal liability + flood insurance (since I am waterfront) as my house is fully paid off. I figured if the small percentage chance my house gets devastated in a real hurricane, I can get a loan from FEMA to rebuild my old home lol. If any hail happens, I am going to use the Tesla warranty if any panels break - this is actually the biggest threat probability wise. I only paid 42k after rebate for the roof so its not like some of the installs in the 6 fig ballpark; my house is currently only insured for 240k. The niche provider is asking for 8.5k per year now... no freaking way.

Now if you are in Tampa, I know the gulf area has been getting hit pretty hard by the Hurricanes. Because of this I would go via a niche agency or off-exchange because I don't believe Tesla will honor the warranty if its a strong enough Hurricane. But you can roll the dice as well and just go with excluding the roof.

Additionally Citizens already added the Tesla roof into their system, but they don't cover it. If you can wait a year or two, I bet they will have enough data to factor in how much to charge for full coverage.

Reactions: mspohr
Hi everyone I have a Tesla solar roof on order and my current homeowners insurance covers solar but excludes Tesla solar shingles . I called 3 other companies and I get the same response . I live in the Tampa Bay Area. Any existing solar roof owners have any recommendations?

Thanks in advanced!
Did you find an insurance company?, I got my Tesla solar glass roof install last Mars and my insurance company just increased my premium by 65%…because of Tesla roof

I wonder what the insurance companies in Florida have experienced to have them increase premiums so much to cover the solar glass/tile/roof/blah. Like as much as I want to believe Insurance companies just do a random dice-roll for their premiums, they usually do have some math based on models of similar/past experience and other independent variables that they can defend.

Have their been reports of Florida residents getting Tesla roofs that suffer issues or having difficulty getting repairs in a timely fashion?

I wonder what the insurance companies in Florida have experienced to have them increase premiums so much to cover the solar glass/tile/roof/blah. Like as much as I want to believe Insurance companies just do a random dice-roll for their premiums, they usually do have some math based on models of similar/past experience and other independent variables that they can defend.

Have their been reports of Florida residents getting Tesla roofs that suffer issues or having difficulty getting repairs in a timely fashion?

I certainly dont know the answer to this question, but do remember discussion in this subforum about either wind or impact rating of the tesla solar roof tiles, and some places in florida having requirements around that.

Knowing that most insurance company in Florida DO NOT insure Tesla solar glass roof, I got my new Tesla roof done in Mach 2021 And I am looking for a insurance companies to insure my house at a reasonable price…. Very few options. So I understand making a claim would probably end up in insurance company dropping you in the near future. I would suggest that you order a new power wall from Tesla and keep your defective Power wall and sale it has is on eBay or market place that would offset some of your cost. There is a market for used Tesla lithium batteries.

PS I am interested to know what are insurance company that insured Tesla solar glass roof tile in Florida in 2022?

To all with this issue… if you have a mortgage and are unable to get Insurance, does your mortgage lenders raise your payment? Don’t mortgage lenders force you into an insurance co with stupid high premiums if you don’t have the property insured within a set time period?

I'm not in FL, but I had a very strange reaction when I called my homeowner's insurance and asked them to update it to reflect the solar roof.

According to multiple quotes, replacement value on my home went from roughly 400K to 950K.

I worked in insurance for 25 years and have professional licenses in underwriting. I politely insisted the salesperson have their underwriter contact me directly (refused). After I got done laughing hysterically, I said OK...go ahead and quote it. My insurance went up all of $25 per year going from 400k to 950k. I don't know what's become of the actuarial profession, but for now, the actuaries are a part of the problem. And, it's unlikely to be fixed until Tesla gets involved (although I don't see why they would). Someone has to be the first to actually figure out how much to charge for this....it's still too new.

Reactions: jgleigh
I'm not in FL, but I had a very strange reaction when I called my homeowner's insurance and asked them to update it to reflect the solar roof.

According to multiple quotes, replacement value on my home went from roughly 400K to 950K.

I worked in insurance for 25 years and have professional licenses in underwriting. I politely insisted the salesperson have their underwriter contact me directly (refused). After I got done laughing hysterically, I said OK...go ahead and quote it. My insurance went up all of $25 per year going from 400k to 950k. I don't know what's become of the actuarial profession, but for now, the actuaries are a part of the problem. And, it's unlikely to be fixed until Tesla gets involved (although I don't see why they would). Someone has to be the first to actually figure out how much to charge for this....it's still too new.
I went to my state farm and told them I added 80K of solar and 60K of batteries. I heard no concerns