TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Florida Sun Pass Transponder?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Big Toys, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

2015 Model S, has that tinted windshield that is causing problems with the Sun Pass Transponders, both the stick on and the portable versions. How are you Florida owners mounting these and where?

2. RV8R

RV8R Member

according to the manual, there is a clear patch for mounting there. It is to the right of the base of the mirror. The manual shows exactly where. I have had no trouble.

3. MiamiDubai

MiamiDubai Member

I mount mine on the designated spot to the right of the mirror.
    It’s been hit and miss, certain tolls pick it up and others don’t.

I believe there is an option to mount it in the nosecone area.

4. lskarp

lskarp Member

Hit and miss for me too! Be sure to register your license plate with Sunpass and they sort it out.

5. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

Yes, but that spot to the right of the mirror is darkened by what appears to be a foil shield, there is no "clear patch". Your transponder reads thru this area?

6. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

I keep getting nasty letters with a pic of my car, saying that I passed without the pass.

7. bigboost

bigboost Member

Hmmm I use it in my ‘18 with no issues, but I think they changed the UV coating some at a point in the S?

8. DanInSunnyFL

DanInSunnyFL Member

I'd love to hide it in the nose (mine has the new nose). Does anyone know if the sticker works from inside the nose or is it just the brick?

Thanks

9. fwiw

fwiw Member

My SunPass has been limited to occasional usage over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. I bought the portable transponder for my 2016 Model S. I held the transponder out the window for awhile and that worked only 50% of the time. Now I just lay it on my dash and store it in the center counsel after I drive through the tolls. That seems to work. On the dash also works for the SunPass in and out at Tampa Airport parking.

• Like x 1
  10. robaross

robaross P4550

I purchased the external mount SunPass and zip-tied it to the slats at the base of the frontal area. Never any falses or misses.

11. bigboost

bigboost Member

Skyway is also where I’m using mine almost solely

12. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Reservations at Restaurant at Universe end

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952
    Mine is on back hatch, at the bottom of the window, center. Works great.

13. NickleNiceness

For older (2013-16) Model S - florida sunpass recommends a license plate transponder, which can in fact be mounted in back of the nose cone.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sunPassTransponders.shtml

The vehicles listed below may be equipped with special windshields containing metal oxide in the glass. This can prevent your SunPass transponder from being read. If you are unsure about whether your vehicle has one of these windshields, contact the dealer where you purchased your car. If your transponder is not always being read when driving through SunPass lanes, or if you need information on a Bumper Mount Transponder, please call the SunPass Customer Service Center at 1-888-TOLL-FLA (1-888-865-5352).

14. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

Ah, google did not reveal this page for me. I'll try mounting the portable to the rear window, and if it doesn't work, I'll go the plate mount route. Thanks!

15. Ciaopec

By the way, since moving the transponder to the bottom center of the hatch window I have had nothing but "transponder charges" from SunPass versus mostly "license plate" tolls prior. It does not hinder rear vision, in fact it is hidden behind the center seat headrest. It also works well for my iPass (ezPass, Illinois variety).

• Informative x 1
  16. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

Yes, not all Tesla windshields are created equal. Newer cars 2016 or so forward you can use transponder in a specific spot, MAYBE. Mine does not work.

I have just gone to plate read without transponder altogether. You gotta keep an eye on your account though, funny things happening with Sunpass and this new contractor Tesla or no Tesla.

17. BruceL

BruceL New Member

I have a 2019 model S and I mounted it to the passenger side of the rear view mirror and the one time I went through a toll it didn't seem to work. I'm going to do some more testing.

18. lskarp

lskarp Member

I ended up mounting in the back window, at the bottom. Seems to be working as it should now.

• Informative x 1
  19. DanInSunnyFL

DanInSunnyFL Member

20. Ciaopec

Can almost guarantee this will work; as stated, I have had no problems since mounting the transponder bottom center of rear hatch window.