Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Sun Pass Transponder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SunPass has been limited to occasional usage over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. I bought the portable transponder for my 2016 Model S. I held the transponder out the window for awhile and that worked only 50% of the time. Now I just lay it on my dash and store it in the center counsel after I drive through the tolls. That seems to work. On the dash also works for the SunPass in and out at Tampa Airport parking.

Reactions: SBDPlaid
My SunPass has been limited to occasional usage over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. I bought the portable transponder for my 2016 Model S. I held the transponder out the window for awhile and that worked only 50% of the time. Now I just lay it on my dash and store it in the center counsel after I drive through the tolls. That seems to work. On the dash also works for the SunPass in and out at Tampa Airport parking.
Skyway is also where I’m using mine almost solely

For older (2013-16) Model S - florida sunpass recommends a license plate transponder, which can in fact be mounted in back of the nose cone.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sunPassTransponders.shtml

The vehicles listed below may be equipped with special windshields containing metal oxide in the glass. This can prevent your SunPass transponder from being read. If you are unsure about whether your vehicle has one of these windshields, contact the dealer where you purchased your car. If your transponder is not always being read when driving through SunPass lanes, or if you need information on a Bumper Mount Transponder, please call the SunPass Customer Service Center at 1-888-TOLL-FLA (1-888-865-5352).

Reactions: davidc18
For older (2013-16) Model S - florida sunpass recommends a license plate transponder, which can in fact be mounted in back of the nose cone.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sunPassTransponders.shtml

The vehicles listed below may be equipped with special windshields containing metal oxide in the glass. This can prevent your SunPass transponder from being read. If you are unsure about whether your vehicle has one of these windshields, contact the dealer where you purchased your car. If your transponder is not always being read when driving through SunPass lanes, or if you need information on a Bumper Mount Transponder, please call the SunPass Customer Service Center at 1-888-TOLL-FLA (1-888-865-5352).

Ah, google did not reveal this page for me. I'll try mounting the portable to the rear window, and if it doesn't work, I'll go the plate mount route. Thanks!

2015 Model S, has that tinted windshield that is causing problems with the Sun Pass Transponders, both the stick on and the portable versions. How are you Florida owners mounting these and where?

By the way, since moving the transponder to the bottom center of the hatch window I have had nothing but "transponder charges" from SunPass versus mostly "license plate" tolls prior. It does not hinder rear vision, in fact it is hidden behind the center seat headrest. It also works well for my iPass (ezPass, Illinois variety).

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
The vehicles listed below may be equipped with special windshields containing metal oxide in the glass. Th
Yes, not all Tesla windshields are created equal. Newer cars 2016 or so forward you can use transponder in a specific spot, MAYBE. Mine does not work.

I have just gone to plate read without transponder altogether. You gotta keep an eye on your account though, funny things happening with Sunpass and this new contractor Tesla or no Tesla.