Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I know Carvana doesn’t take plates, just didn’t know how it goes with transferring it to Tesla. Glad to know they’ll handle it if I take it. Sweet.
If Tesla comes within a couple thousands of Carvana, I’ll trade in with Tesla for the tax discount. If not, Carvana takes it.
Worst case if Tesla doesn't do the transfer is they should at least give you a temporary tag and then you can have your personal tag transferred at the DMV. That's what I have done on my last couple of purchases.

Yeah I know Carvana doesn’t take plates, just didn’t know how it goes with transferring it to Tesla. Glad to know they’ll handle it if I take it. Sweet.
If Tesla comes within a couple thousands of Carvana, I’ll trade in with Tesla for the tax discount. If not, Carvana takes it.

For my trade in last week with Tesla, they just unscrewed my old license plate from the ID.4 that I traded in and installed it on the new car. Registration with an existing plate is also $200 cheaper (new is $450).

Worst case if Tesla doesn't do the transfer is they should at least give you a temporary tag and then you can have your personal tag transferred at the DMV. That's what I have done on my last couple of purchases.

Tesla @ Tampa will transfer registration & plates. I've already set it up with an SA for next Wednesday.

I've been greatly disappointed that the tax credit has taken this long. You are spot on Mike. I have $4k in my pocket due to price increases, and I wouldn't cancel.
I also would not place a "hold" for the sole purpose of a 2022. I'm totally surprised that Tesla is still permitting that with orders piled up to next summer. I think it's a matter of time before they go to the back of the line at the new price. One needs to rationally consider why would Tesla deliver to us a feature-upgraded 2022 when we ordered a 2021 at $4,000 or more less money. That's a fast-track to bankruptcy. It ain't happening.

We are still eligible for Federal tax incentives for home charger purchase and install costs. I purchased the Tesla charger and had it installed on a dedicated 50 amp circuit. Hillsborough county also clipped me for a $200 permit.

I'll save enough there to take Mrs. Hurricane on a road trip to Charlston or Hilton Head.
😎🍾

ps...PCMike, You're not taking mine. Grab Voxel's when nobodys looking.
😀
I’ll wait for my order, just hope it’s sooner rather than later!

With current tax credit looking more likely I'm now so torn. EDD is currently 11/7 - 12/5. Delaying order for 1-2 months to save $8k seems like a no-brainer but I'm not sure I can wait lol. I'm assuming MSRP is going to go up to offset the credit and I'm already locked in $4k lower than current MSRP. Therefore I'm not expecting resale value to be too affected if I take delivery this year but $8k is a lot of cash.

With current tax credit looking more likely I'm now so torn. EDD is currently 11/7 - 12/5. Delaying order for 1-2 months to save $8k seems like a no-brainer but I'm not sure I can wait lol. I'm assuming MSRP is going to go up to offset the credit and I'm already locked in $4k lower than current MSRP. Therefore I'm not expecting resale value to be too affected if I take delivery this year but $8k is a lot of cash.
What are you driving now? Honestly, I took order of my M3 because I was tired of ICE and the endless rise of gas prices. Plus oil changes and so on. For me, it was a no brained to get a car asap while I wait for my MY. I don’t know your situation but if it’s worth waiting, do it but if still driving something that makes you miserable and paying for gas…I’d get your Tesla ASAP.

Ps, I’ll be sharing a story soon once I get home about what I did today. Let’s just say I never thought I would have done it until I found out this news.

How much tax credit do you get to install a Tesla charger?
Do it soon, I heard cabling is increasing by the foot now. I was using Gulfstar Electric and was going to be charged $350 to have it installed about 2 feet from the breaker box (final cost, still shopping around).

Last edited:
What are you driving now? Honestly, I took order of my M3 because I was tired of ICE and the endless rise of gas prices. Plus oil changes and so on. For me, it was a no brained to get a car asap while I wait for my MY. I don’t know your situation but if it’s worth waiting, do it but if still driving something that makes you miserable and paying for gas…I’d get your Tesla ASAP.

Ps, I’ll be sharing a story soon once I get home about what I did today. Let’s just say I never thought I would have done it until I found out this news.
I have a company vehicle so this MY will replace wife’s minivan which we actually like a lot for practicality. She basically makes the school run everyday and that’s it so not many miles. My personal vehicle is a 1965 F100 lol.

Car was flawless. No paint or gaps or nothing on the interior. Found only one problem with the right 7 seat on the back. It doesn’t fold. Service been scheduled to replace the part.

Attachments

• 13E7E192-C03F-4FDF-BD52-5E48219FA5FF.jpeg
    13E7E192-C03F-4FDF-BD52-5E48219FA5FF.jpeg
    723 KB · Views: 2,678
  • 4C938FA1-D9EB-4355-A88C-37C6AB461136.jpeg
    4C938FA1-D9EB-4355-A88C-37C6AB461136.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 6AD0BCC2-5966-467C-880E-5A6EFE8A518E.jpeg
    6AD0BCC2-5966-467C-880E-5A6EFE8A518E.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 32
  • A6407306-A21A-4A4D-8951-88C9BDF04A82.jpeg
    A6407306-A21A-4A4D-8951-88C9BDF04A82.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 29
  • 5C7CE645-5990-4819-A54E-6BF658793339.jpeg
    5C7CE645-5990-4819-A54E-6BF658793339.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 1F88A261-B9F7-460D-91EE-D1E32A1AF42B.jpeg
    1F88A261-B9F7-460D-91EE-D1E32A1AF42B.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 37
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I did a thing today that I honestly thought I would never do. Sorry, @Hurricane4911 I will not be in the MY club until 2022, but here is why.

So, I heard about the news and the bill...been actively going to their website to see what was changed, added, removed, and so on. Well, everything looks great so far, and it is a go. December 31, 2021, is a date to remember because this is the date that my MY will be reinstated. I know what I am thinking, but it will make sense here in a second, and honestly, my head was crunching so many variables and numbers today that I had to go to Lucky Dill to concentrate.

65721686738__0844F170-ACFA-4876-BD73-0E1906E84EB6.jpeg

Okay, so while I was there thinking, I had to ask myself repeatedly, do I wait or say screw it and keep what I have set in motion. Then it finally hit me; I had to wait as much as I had told others not to delay. It finally dawned on ME why I had to wait. I am in a different boat; I am selling a Tesla for a Tesla and eventually for another Tesla. Now that we have an EV Bill coming, it changes EVERYTHING and maybe not just for me. So, for those that do not know, here is my story.

I own an M3SR+ LFP edition and have an MY that I ordered in August of 2020, but I recently put that MY back on hold because of the bill, and I was expecting delivery in December. I am going to get an AMAZING deal for my M3SR+, $48,000, and that would help pay the MY off pretty much if I kept my order, but for me, holding the MY for the tax credit is worth it more as my MY is the $48,990 price point MY, so this is a heck of a deal not to sit and wait for. I now would only be paying $41,000, and now my M3SR+ pays it off entirely and cashback for me. I plan to get an offer around the end of December from Carvana to lock those deals for 30 days. You might ask...wait, even if you get a great offer in December, your MY is on hold, and that is where this story gets a little interesting because this was news to me.

So, this news I got from my SA and then verified it with the manager changed EVERYTHING, and PLEASE NOTE results may vary. My SA/Manager told me, "if we put you on hold (they used a different term) and reactivate towards the end of December, it does NOT mean you will go to the back of the line." This response was when I asked whether you could reset me to April. If I hold and reactive my order, I get put to the back of the list. The Tesla rep further added, "when you reactive, we take into account the original order date, last expected delivery date, and other factors. So, we don't throw you to the back. If we match you with a vin sooner, it will be your vin. So it is best to hold (again, they said a different term) the car till the end of December. So what we will do is put a release as of 12/31/2021, so you can take advantage of the tax credit. Essentially this means that come to that date, your order is pending delivery of a car." To make sure, I then asked about, why not reinstate me to the middle of December; I know that it takes two weeks to get a car, but then was told, "Sure, that can be true, but we can also match you instantly with a VIN. The system controls all those metrics and can give you a VIN instantly if it sees you had a closer previous delivery date. So, to be safe, I would advise you to wait till the last day of December." I thought I would share this because this changes everything. I again called 2 hours later to confirm this information with a different rep, and it was said to be true.

Now, here is another reason I am doing this and why everyone needs to be cautious about handling the situation. Think, now that EV cars are going to get this tax break, why would trade-in values stay where they are? People would rather save $8k and wait verse getting a vehicle from, say, Carvana, which is much more overpriced. The same goes for Carvana; they will not pay a premium trade-in value to a seller knowing you saved $8k. Otherwise, they would buy cars up and resell them (of course, this is not allowed, but an example of why we will start POSSIBLY seeing a price drop in the trade-in market). This is ALL speculations and my thoughts, but I love to share my ideas. It took me a lot of thinking and was not just something I pulled the trigger on. Thank goodness for free refills.

So, yeah eventful day off that I should have been studying for an exam, but all this happened, and I did not think it would turn into a day of exploring what I should do. Please note that my situation is mine alone, and I hope this helps you make the best choice possible. As it stands, paying $41,000 for an MYLR is a no-brainer when I might still get $48,000 for my M3SR+. Again, time will tell if I get that lucky, but it will be worth it if I do. With the bill passing, I am also hoping people will cancel MS orders for MY or M3 now that the MS has no tax break due to price. Only poopy part, my plan to resell the MY for the MS will probably bust as I might only be able to sell it for $50,000-$55,000 verse $65,000, but only time will tell. Frankly, I still think the market will be decent because used EVs still get a tax break of $4,000, I believe...next year will be VERY interesting. End of my story, I love my Florida Tesla Fam (FTF) for putting up with my craziness.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I did a thing today that I honestly thought I would never do. Sorry, @Hurricane4911 I will not be in the MY club until 2022, but here is why.

So, I heard about the news and the bill...been actively going to their website to see what was changed, added, removed, and so on. Well, everything looks great so far, and it is a go. December 31, 2021, is a date to remember because this is the date that my MY will be reinstated. I know what I am thinking, but it will make sense here in a second, and honestly, my head was crunching so many variables and numbers today that I had to go to Lucky Dill to concentrate.

View attachment 727245

Okay, so while I was there thinking, I had to ask myself repeatedly, do I wait or say screw it and keep what I have set in motion. Then it finally hit me; I had to wait as much as I had told others not to delay. It finally dawned on ME why I had to wait. I am in a different boat; I am selling a Tesla for a Tesla and eventually for another Tesla. Now that we have an EV Bill coming, it changes EVERYTHING and maybe not just for me. So, for those that do not know, here is my story.

I own an M3SR+ LFP edition and have an MY that I ordered in August of 2020, but I recently put that MY back on hold because of the bill, and I was expecting delivery in December. I am going to get an AMAZING deal for my M3SR+, $48,000, and that would help pay the MY off pretty much if I kept my order, but for me, holding the MY for the tax credit is worth it more as my MY is the $48,990 price point MY, so this is a heck of a deal not to sit and wait for. I now would only be paying $41,000, and now my M3SR+ pays it off entirely and cashback for me. I plan to get an offer around the end of December from Carvana to lock those deals for 30 days. You might ask...wait, even if you get a great offer in December, your MY is on hold, and that is where this story gets a little interesting because this was news to me.

So, this news I got from my SA and then verified it with the manager changed EVERYTHING, and PLEASE NOTE results may vary. My SA/Manager told me, "if we put you on hold (they used a different term) and reactivate towards the end of December, it does NOT mean you will go to the back of the line." This response was when I asked whether you could reset me to April. If I hold and reactive my order, I get put to the back of the list. The Tesla rep further added, "when you reactive, we take into account the original order date, last expected delivery date, and other factors. So, we don't throw you to the back. If we match you with a vin sooner, it will be your vin. So it is best to hold (again, they said a different term) the car till the end of December. So what we will do is put a release as of 12/31/2021, so you can take advantage of the tax credit. Essentially this means that come to that date, your order is pending delivery of a car." To make sure, I then asked about, why not reinstate me to the middle of December; I know that it takes two weeks to get a car, but then was told, "Sure, that can be true, but we can also match you instantly with a VIN. The system controls all those metrics and can give you a VIN instantly if it sees you had a closer previous delivery date. So, to be safe, I would advise you to wait till the last day of December." I thought I would share this because this changes everything. I again called 2 hours later to confirm this information with a different rep, and it was said to be true.

Now, here is another reason I am doing this and why everyone needs to be cautious about handling the situation. Think, now that EV cars are going to get this tax break, why would trade-in values stay where they are? People would rather save $8k and wait verse getting a vehicle from, say, Carvana, which is much more overpriced. The same goes for Carvana; they will not pay a premium trade-in value to a seller knowing you saved $8k. Otherwise, they would buy cars up and resell them (of course, this is not allowed, but an example of why we will start POSSIBLY seeing a price drop in the trade-in market). This is ALL speculations and my thoughts, but I love to share my ideas. It took me a lot of thinking and was not just something I pulled the trigger on. Thank goodness for free refills.

So, yeah eventful day off that I should have been studying for an exam, but all this happened, and I did not think it would turn into a day of exploring what I should do. Please note that my situation is mine alone, and I hope this helps you make the best choice possible. As it stands, paying $41,000 for an MYLR is a no-brainer when I might still get $48,000 for my M3SR+. Again, time will tell if I get that lucky, but it will be worth it if I do. With the bill passing, I am also hoping people will cancel MS orders for MY or M3 now that the MS has no tax break due to price. Only poopy part, my plan to resell the MY for the MS will probably bust as I might only be able to sell it for $50,000-$55,000 verse $65,000, but only time will tell. Frankly, I still think the market will be decent because used EVs still get a tax break of $4,000, I believe...next year will be VERY interesting. End of my story, I love my Florida Tesla Fam (FTF) for putting up with my craziness.

I am stunned, and thrilled that Tesla is so accomodating as we move into year end and 2022 models are 60 or so days away. Plus, you have the cheapest MDY than anyone else here. I hope this works out for you the best possible way.

Now, the important stuff...
Are you dining in Palm Harbor at the Lucky Dill?
Before I moved to Hillsborough county, I was a fixture in the one on US 19 and the original on Alt 19.

Try the blintzes, they are to die for
😀

Reactions: Samier_RN

View attachment 727245

Man, I’ve been thinking about this all day. We already have my wife’s MY and now that I have a VIN for mine and with the tax bill, I’m so torn. We can’t decide between taking delivery in 2 weeks or putting on hold. It will be nice to get a discount no doubt and I told my wife, we’re not really hurting to switch to EV. I work from home at least till next year when I have to go in once or twice a week so I’m not driving much.
I’m 40% put on hold, 40% take delivery and 20% undecided.
My biggest fear is being thrown to the back of the line. I’ll try calling tomorrow and see what Tesla says.

Reactions: voxel
I am selling a Tesla for a Tesla and eventually for another Tesla. Now that we have an EV Bill coming, it changes EVERYTHING and maybe not just for me. So, for those that do not know, here is my story.

I own an M3SR+ LFP edition and have an MY that I ordered in August of 2020, but I recently put that MY back on hold because of the bill, and I was expecting delivery in December.
Your situation is definitely unique in that you have an ancient MYLR price AND you currently drive a M3SR+

The only negative of the tax credit is that Tesla for the next few years will follow other EVs and depreciate 50% over three years (Teslas will probably depreciate less because they don't change too drastically year to year). The tax credit has shown downward pressure on older models because you can buy new for $7500 less.

I feel resale Tesla values are near a peak (if I tried to sell my MYLR now, I'd be losing $3K which is about the sales tax) and will of course fall when the tax credit is implemented. If you can get a priced locked from Carvana in December that would be awesome but you might be without a car for a few weeks possibly if you want to maximize your M3SR+ value. In my case, if I can sell my demo MYLR for the OTD price of my red/white MYLR then it's like I drove the demo MYLR for free for 3+ months (yes I paid Sept/Oct 2021 price). You get paid to drive Teslas... lol.

After driving my MYLR... I really like these 20" Inductions. I'm so torn about ordering a decked out MYLR. I can see why you prefer the MYLR over the Model 3. The higher seating position makes a huge difference and the increase in range for MYLR completely eliminates range anxiety. When I drove the M3SR+ I was constantly looking for Superchargers because of the reduced range of the NCA battery (80% charge).

Last edited:
My biggest fear is being thrown to the back of the line. I’ll try calling tomorrow and see what Tesla says.
From what @Samier_RN is saying... you don't get thrown to the back of the line but my problem is you can't predict when you will get assigned a VIN. Demand post tax credit bill will SOAR. What used to be a week or two wait for holds might be much longer.

Also one fear is you might get a reject VIN. My demo MYLR definitely had 4-6 panel gaps. Everything else is perfect but the hatch and rear door alignment is definitely what folks have complained about online in photos.

How would you determine if you got a "reject VIN". Just wondering on the term "match". I know that means some car for some reason came available before your EDD and you can get it because it "matches" your build or at least close enough. How would you know if it came available because of financing issues, buyer decided to put on hold or its a POS and it was rejected. Does it come down to the honesty of your SA? I've read where one person showed up and his car was damaged in CA before even being loaded, like really damaged, the bumper was crushed, and there was a letter stating that in the car. I cant believe they decided to ship a damaged car, do they really believe someone would take a damaged $60000 plus car. so of course rejected the car so that would then become a "Match" to someone else, right.

I am stunned, and thrilled that Tesla is so accomodating as we move into year end and 2022 models are 60 or so days away. Plus, you have the cheapest MDY than anyone else here. I hope this works out for you the best possible way.

Now, the important stuff...
Are you dining in Palm Harbor at the Lucky Dill?
Before I moved to Hillsborough county, I was a fixture in the one on US 19 and the original on Alt 19.

Try the blintzes, they are to die for
😀
Yes, Palm Harbor. I lived next to Alt 19 before that became a bank, and the new location is excellent. I have not been there in 4 years; it has been on my list of things since I came back home from Michigan. I will have to try that the next time I go there. I was spending time with my Grandfather thinking about what to do. He was a massive help in my decision-making, lol, and the sandwich.
Man, I’ve been thinking about this all day. We already have my wife’s MY and now that I have a VIN for mine and with the tax bill, I’m so torn. We can’t decide between taking delivery in 2 weeks or putting on hold. It will be nice to get a discount no doubt and I told my wife, we’re not really hurting to switch to EV. I work from home at least till next year when I have to go in once or twice a week so I’m not driving much.
I’m 40% put on hold, 40% take delivery and 20% undecided.
PLEASE NOTE: Results will vary, and it is ALWAYS best to call yourself. I am a person that loves the facts, so when I need them, I will bug places by calling multiple times to speak with various people, and if global, I will call other locations to make sure it is a company-wide policy or information given is the truth. I called twice and spoke to a manager the first time. I even got ahold of someone from the Tampa office who told me the same information was accurate. So, please call and double-check, but also note my original order date compared to my profile complete date. I ordered this car in 2020, and if what they tell me is true, I get bumped to the top. I have not verified this information anywhere and going entirely based on what they told me, and the facts all seemed to be the same from the multiple calls. Sadly, I forgot to call other locations like I usually do, so my research is just Florida and Tampa. I hope they can do the same for you as well.
Your situation is definitely unique in that you have an ancient MYLR price AND you currently drive a M3SR+

The only negative of the tax credit is that Tesla for the next few years will follow other EVs and depreciate 50% over three years (Teslas will probably depreciate less because they don't change too drastically year to year). The tax credit has shown downward pressure on older models because you can buy new for $7500 less.

I feel resale Tesla values are near a peak (if I tried to sell my MYLR now, I'd be losing $3K which is about the sales tax) and will of course fall when the tax credit is implemented. If you can get a priced locked from Carvana in December that would be awesome but you might be without a car for a few weeks possibly if you want to maximize your M3SR+ value. In my case, if I can sell my demo MYLR for the OTD price of my red/white MYLR then it's like I drove the demo MYLR for free for 3+ months. You get paid to drive Teslas... lol.

After driving my MYLR... I really like these 20" Inductions. I'm so torn about ordering a decked out MYLR. I can see why you prefer the MYLR over the Model 3. The higher seating position makes a huge difference and the increase in range for MYLR completely eliminates range anxiety. When I drove the M3SR+ I was constantly looking for Superchargers because of the reduced range of the NCA battery (80% charge).
I have to say, that is one reason I love this M3 so so so SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much, not having to charge it to 80% (btw, I heard 90% is just fine, it still keeps the buffers safe) only. I mean, even when I first got it, they did not charge my car all the way, and it was down to 145 miles already, and I was worried about getting home because I live in Hudson and it is a drive. I think I got home with 109 left, and when I saw that...A/C on, we tested everything while driving; I was happy. I said I could live with just 150 if I planned my routes correctly. I have multiple apps for all the different types of charges, and going to GreenWise or Whole Foods, they mostly all have chargers and at a rate of 26 miles per hr. I also made the long trip to Jacksonville, and even that was a piece of cake with the M3. More miles will always be better, but I think the M3 allowed me to appreciate how easy the drive can still be with limited miles. By the way, never charging more than 15-30 mins at a supercharger if going from 0-50% lol I learned a lot from these youtube videos that it is best to stick around only to fill to 50% continue driving and hit the next stop to maximize travel time.

I hear you on the fully loaded MYLR. Have you tried the MYP? Since the price is so close... it might be worth it. I drove my friends from work, and I think in a previous post, I said how if it weren't for the price, I would take MYP over MYLR any day. The drive is just fun. The speed, fun, the look is fantastic. It is just one sexy car, but that price is what stops me personally. Also, I am shocked you are getting a lower rate for the MY. I would hit up all the offer places and check. I know Carmax gives reasonable rates; you do NOT have to bring it even though they ask you. Just have someone call you; they will provide you with an email to send pictures and give an offer over the phone/email. I got a decent deal from them, still more than what I paid for the car.

I know my story might now change the mind of others, but I had to share it.
How would you determine if you got a "reject VIN". Just wondering on the term "match". I know that means some car for some reason came available before your EDD and you can get it because it "matches" your build or at least close enough. How would you know if it came available because of financing issues, buyer decided to put on hold or its a POS and it was rejected. Does it come down to the honesty of your SA? I've read where one person showed up and his car was damaged in CA before even being loaded, like really damaged, the bumper was crushed, and there was a letter stating that in the car. I cant believe they decided to ship a damaged car, do they really believe someone would take a damaged $60000 plus car. so of course rejected the car so that would then become a "Match" to someone else, right.
I would say if it was damaged they have to tell you upfront before you even come to pick up the car. They do inspect it there at the shop beforehand but I guess that does mean you are going off the trust of the SA. I have not heard of a horror story like that but heard my fair share of crappy delivery with paint issues and gaps. As for the match, if it is a "previously assigned VIN" then technically they don't have to say anything. As long as the vehicle never left the lot, it is still considered new. So, if someone denied it because of a dent or paint or rattle...well, at that point you would hope Tesla took care of it before the next person got it or at least tried to fix it for the previous owner before giving it up. Some people want perfection and honestly, that is unattainable but darn near it can be achieved lol. Either way, the best advice I can tell you is to download the template for the delivery checklist and make sure you do an inside and out check. I spent 1 hour before I left the lot, I literally looked EVERYWHERE and recorded it all. You should be doing the same when you pick up your own record. You must be your own advocate and not trust anyone, check it yourself. Lastly, if a car gets skipped that much, it will most likely become a store model for test drivers. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hurricane4911
From what @Samier_RN is saying... you don't get thrown to the back of the line but my problem is you can't predict when you will get assigned a VIN. Demand post tax credit bill will SOAR. What used to be a week or two wait for holds might be much longer.

Also one fear is you might get a reject VIN. My demo MYLR definitely had 4-6 panel gaps. Everything else is perfect but the hatch and rear door alignment is definitely what folks have complained about online in photos.
Looks like the demand already started. Read earlier today that MY orders are now estimated for September. Wasn’t that far back yesterday prior to the tax bill announcement. People are locking in prices now knowing they definitely won’t get the car till next year.