Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i posted this in another forum, but have had no answers. I live in Tampa, so this also applies. My order date is mid July, so I must be close.

My EDD moved on Sunday and today closed to the narrow 2 week window. However, one of the weeks they gave me I am not in the country. So question..... When you get a VIN what is the timeline to typically get the car? I went up to the service location over the weekend and the SA told me you need to take the car in a 3 day window or you lose it.
You're very close to a VIN...
That's exactly what happened to me 3-4 days before VIN. I ordered and am picking up in Tampa.
Congrats!

They are flexible on pickup. They have a huge garage and are very accomodating. If you're not working with an SA, give the Tampa distribution center a call. They have both Sales and Delivery staff

i posted this in another forum, but have had no answers. I live in Tampa, so this also applies. My order date is mid July, so I must be close.

My EDD moved on Sunday and today closed to the narrow 2 week window. However, one of the weeks they gave me I am not in the country. So question..... When you get a VIN what is the timeline to typically get the car? I went up to the service location over the weekend and the SA told me you need to take the car in a 3 day window or you lose it.
Once you get a VIN it’s about a week I believe as by that point the car is usually en route to your delivery center.

Reactions: Hurricane4911

It all depends. Can be up to two weeks if you are assigned a factory vehicle and it has to be transported. If someone rejected delivery and the vehicle is already at your DC then it could be only a couple of days.

There is absolutely zero chance there is a 500mi Model Y. Actually there is a less than zero chance. First off the 4680s are
not close to mass production ready. They still need to be field tested and tested for reliability before they’ll go into any vehicles, Tesla can’t afford to screw it up. Second availability will be severely constrained because of all the competing demands for them (Semi, the supposed 1m+ Cybertruck orders, etc.). Tesla won’t waste money or batteries stuffing more into the Y to give it a 500 mile range when they are offering it with 330m now and have a year wait and growing.

At best they might up the range slightly but like others have said the more realistic scenario is them putting in just enough to match the current range and save on costs by having to use less cells.

Also like so much with Tesla the Roadster is just vapor ware currently and the promised specs will probably not match reality. See Plaid + cancellation, the Solar roof debacle, and how they’ve completely changed the Cybertruck page to remove all references to models and prices, probably because they realize that there is no way they can deliver on what they initially showed.
I did some rough calculations with this based on the image of the half cut battery pack at Berlin. The current cells are what 2170 - 21mm across, 70mm high and the new ones are 4680 - 46mm across, 80mm high.
2 2170 side by side gives a diameter of 42 so 1 4680 is a little bigger than 2 2170s. If you do it cross section, technically, 4 2170s is 1 4680. So say there are 40000 2170s in the current battery pack, that translates to just 10000 4680. If you put the 2170s in a circle, you can technically get close to 8 2170s = 1 4680 which means even less 4680. So basically, Tesla will be able to match the current battery pack with much less 4680. For them to pack more 4680, they will need to increase the size of the battery pack which means bigger car and they won't do that. The extra gain the 4680 will have is the increased height and that will be where the cars might get more range but won't be 500 miles. I'm thinking between 360-400 for MY. Now this is all crude calculations based on visuals and dimensions and not a true engineering calculations so take it with a grain of salt.

As mentioned, they need the 4680s more for Semis and Cyber and those will have bigger spaces for 4680 so they can pack more. Or Tesla may change the current LR to standard range and then produce a new MY LR with the 4680 and of course charge more.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
@Hurricane - Did you pick up the car yet? If so could you tell us if you found any of the issues of workmanship that we all have read about like panel gaps, paint issues, rattles, window leaks, hearing wind noise, or scratches by the delivery team or anything else. They say that their QA is getting better but just wondering if you can tell us since you are the latest car to be delivered.

I did some rough calculations with this based on the image of the half cut battery pack at Berlin. The current cells are what 2170 - 21mm across, 70mm high and the new ones are 4680 - 46mm across, 80mm high.
2 2170 side by side gives a diameter of 42 so 1 4680 is a little bigger than 2 2170s. If you do it cross section, technically, 4 2170s is 1 4680. So say there are 40000 2170s in the current battery pack, that translates to just 10000 4680. If you put the 2170s in a circle, you can technically get close to 8 2170s = 1 4680 which means even less 4680. So basically, Tesla will be able to match the current battery pack with much less 4680. For them to pack more 4680, they will need to increase the size of the battery pack which means bigger car and they won't do that. The extra gain the 4680 will have is the increased height and that will be where the cars might get more range but won't be 500 miles. I'm thinking between 360-400 for MY. Now this is all crude calculations based on visuals and dimensions and not a true engineering calculations so take it with a grain of salt.

As mentioned, they need the 4680s more for Semis and Cyber and those will have bigger spaces for 4680 so they can pack more. Or Tesla may change the current LR to standard range and then produce a new MY LR with the 4680 and of course charge more.
I dont expect the 500 miles either , its just what Tesla is saying on some of their released information. Tesla says a lot of stuff that never comes to the market. My comment was more of a "what if" scenario for people that are wanting to buy and trade in later.

@Hurricane - Did you pick up the car yet? If so could you tell us if you found any of the issues of workmanship that we all have read about like panel gaps, paint issues, rattles, window leaks, hearing wind noise, or scratches by the delivery team or anything else. They say that their QA is getting better but just wondering if you can tell us since you are the latest car to be delivered.
I'm picking up "Vader" on Friday @ 11am.
I'm also taking the car to the NDEW EV event in Oldsmar on 11/13. @Samier_RN will be there too with his M3.

Count on a full report w/photos
😎

Last edited:

This is my problem too, just curious how long it takes to deliver after getting a VIN to South Florida

My Sept build that was a demo had no issues except for the infamous exterior panels (4-6 of them).

I stalk other Model Ys at Superchargers and take photos. It is hit and miss. Some have the large gaps I have, some don't. The are noticeable on the rear door + hatch.

No rattles, leaks, scratches. Wind noise is a tad higher than my ID.4 but barely.