Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone pick up in Tampa? How was the experience? I’m going 12/11 in the afternoon
Picked mine up in Tampa on Friday 11/5.
The place was rocking. Everything went smooth except for the fact that "Plaid", their wire transfer system does not communicate with Wells Fargo bank. That's was on WF. They were delivering about 30 cars that day. While I was there, 3 carriers of Tesla's rolled in.

The delivery team was first rate. The best car buying experience I ever had, and I bought my first used car in 1974, a '72 Mercury Montego MX coupe with vinyl roof and a really big V8. I digress, sorry. 🥴

I was not rushed. Once I was given access to the car, I was given all the time I wanted to inspect. If its crazy-busy, just sit in the car and think about driving home.

Congrats and best of luck.

Reactions: dognamedwalter
Any recent FL Tesla buyers take delivery at the Tesla service/delivery/sales center in Ft. Myers? If so, what was your experience?

This Tesla location (I-75 exit 136) opened earlier this year and I live less than 2 miles from it. I have a MY LR coming with an EDD of mid-Mar. to mid-April.

I picked up mine on Monday 11/29 in Tampa. I arrived early and found my name on the car. I went through it before I even spoke to anybody. My paperwork was inside. When my appointment time got closer, I went inside to talk to the delivery person. He was helpful, answering a few questions, finished the payment process, and then he put on my plate. All in all very easy.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback

Reactions: Hurricane4911
Capital gains: Hi, anyone trading in with trade in credit being applied toward purchase? I’m still debating carmax vs Tesla

My current car was originally purchased for $37k
I have $21k left on my current car
I’m being offered $31k by carmax

Will I pay capital gains on the $31k-$21k? Or is it a loss since initially it was $37k and I am selling for $31k?

Thank you!!

Capital gains: Hi, anyone trading in with trade in credit being applied toward purchase? I’m still debating carmax vs Tesla

My current car was originally purchased for $37k
I have $21k left on my current car
I’m being offered $31k by carmax

Will I pay capital gains on the $31k-$21k? Or is it a loss since initially it was $37k and I am selling for $31k?

Thank you!!
You will not pay tax on the sale of your vehicle. Where are you located? Some places (like FL) actually give you a tax break on trading your car in.

Edit: saw that this is the Florida thread, facepalm. Look and see what Tesla offers you. Basically, you offset the amount of sales tax based on the value of your trade, but that doesn’t apply if you sell to a different vendor.

I’ll use my experience as an example:

Vroom offered me 53K
Tesla offered me 49K
I got a MYP for 63K

In Florida, if I trade my car to Tesla I pay tax on only 14K (63-49) whereas if I sold my car to vroom , I would pay sales tax on the full 63k purchase price. So even though the offer for my car was off by 4K, when you factor in tax differences they were fairly comparable and I decided to go with Tesla for the convenience of it.

You will not pay tax on the sale of your vehicle. Where are you located? Some places (like FL) actually give you a tax break on trading your car in.

Edit: saw that this is the Florida thread, facepalm. Look and see what Tesla offers you. Basically, you offset the amount of sales tax based on the value of your trade, but that doesn’t apply if you sell to a different vendor.

I’ll use my experience as an example:

Vroom offered me 53K
Tesla offered me 49K
I got a MYP for 63K

In Florida, if I trade my car to Tesla I pay tax on only 14K (63-49) whereas if I sold my car to vroom , I would pay sales tax on the full 63k purchase price. So even though the offer for my car was off by 4K, when you factor in tax differences they were fairly comparable and I decided to go with Tesla for the convenience of it.
Exactly.

Reactions: dognamedwalter
What was your order date?
4/7, completed 8/25. I was matched once before Thanksgiving, but SA unmatched me to give it to someone else because I didn’t want delivery till after 1/1/2022. Right after he unmatched me my EDD went to beginning of December, then stayed at 12/16-12/31 for a couple weeks. Today, 1/29-2/26. In an ideal world I’d it would be 1/1 as I really can’t wait much longer! 😬

4/7, completed 8/25. I was matched once before Thanksgiving, but SA unmatched me to give it to someone else because I didn’t want delivery till after 1/1/2022. Right after he unmatched me my EDD went to beginning of December, then stayed at 12/16-12/31 for a couple weeks. Today, 1/29-2/26. In an ideal world I’d it would be 1/1 as I really can’t wait much longer! 😬
After your journey, use the couple of weeks to stock up on more Tesla trinkets. 😀
Methinks that SA who unmatched you Thanksgiving did you a huge favor coupled with your extended profile completion. That was just days before the Tesla ultimatum. Tesla might be going after oldest completed orders first, and that may have pushed you out into 2022. If Congress gets this done for a 1/1/2022 effective date, you will nail down a great price plus the tax rebate.

Keep in mind that Tesla has zero friends on either side of the aisle. No republican supports the credit and only a minority of Dems are interested in making the bill retroactive. That only benefits Tesla and all non-union manufacturers.

A reminder for us who took delivery of a Tesla in 2021...
• We qualify for the 30% tax rebate on charger and install costs (form 8911)
• We should qualify for an additional rebate for U.S. battery manufacturer.

Last edited: