Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
15% is way darker than the legal limit for the front driver and passanger widows. In FL, the max. is 28% for those windows let along the much more limited level of tinting allowed nationally (which is also used in many states). Windshields are generally not allowed any tinting except at the top few inches
Xpel, and I'm sure others have a "clear" UV protection for windshields. Its virtually clear with a slight darkening. I had that applied and does not interfere with RFID tags.

Reactions: ImperfectTes
can they do it same day? I would drive from Pompano to Tampa to help out a local small business
I have found out through a lot of dealing with contractors and such, "Florida is the sunny state with a lot of shady people!"
I agree with everything @Samier_RN said. They can do same day. He did all the windows and windshield of my wife’s MY in about 3.5 hrs. Super nice folks and you do get the bang for the buck!

Reactions: Samier_RN
Just curious why did you do 15 all around and not go lighter on the back so that it was matched front to back? Was that even a consideration? In order to be matched front to back I intend on doing the following with XR Plus.. WS: 45, F: 5, R: 20… hopefully this results in uniform dark at. 😬
We did 15 in front and 30 in the back due to the already dark rear shaded windows. I would have loved darker but preferred to stay closer to legal looks

15% is way darker than the legal limit for the front driver and passanger widows. In FL, the max. is 28% for those windows let along the much more limited level of tinting allowed nationally (which is also used in many states). Windshields are generally not allowed any tinting except at the top few inches
The tint on the windshield is not noticeable at 70%. It’s more for the heat rejection than the shading. And yes, it makes a huge difference with the rejection.

Yes, they can make that happen with ease. Just call them and let them know, they really try to accommodate as much as they can. Took mine in at noon and done at 5 pm only because the windshield tint was delayed by ups.

I don’t have any issues and I wear glasses that are tinted yellow to protect from light. So imagine double tinting and I see fine. Is it darker, for sure. I would say to be safe, go 30-45% and still get a clean look and much easier on the eyes.

Thanks. That Xpel is for sure the leader for tint. Hands down great look.

I didn’t care about matching really. I wanted somewhat “legal” (LOL) but dark enough to hide the inside. And since this was a test of the product for him, I didn’t want to have him order a bunch of different %. I didn’t mind at all, honestly, I really love the look.

Oh, it is but I also used to work next to police as a firefighter and honestly, pulling someone over for a tint is way on the bottom of their to-do list. Heck, we all drove cars to work with not legal tint but no one cared. However, that is not to say someone can get unlucky and pulled over. I drove next to a cop today and nothing. Heck, I saw a Honda with what had to be 5% all around cause I legit saw only a reflection and nothing.
Yeah. This is FL. The police know the brutality of the heat and don’t sweat the tints. It’s like the cops tend to have the darkest tints on their personal cars too. Lol. But I figured if they get pulled over by one of their own, they can work their way out. I probably can’t. Lol.

Yeah. This is FL. The police know the brutality of the heat and don’t sweat the tints. It’s like the cops tend to have the darkest tints on their personal cars too. Lol. But I figured if they get pulled over by one of their own, they can work their way out. I probably can’t. Lol.
the issue is when you leave FL - other states can pull you over if your tint is illegal in their state even though you are a Florida resident and give you a fine

VA was brutal - they would pull you over in a second but I think they passed a bill that they no longer can pull you over for minor traffic issues. They went the polar opposite - they cant even pull you over for no headlights at night.

• Funny
Reactions: voxel and Samier_RN
I was resigned to wait until late January but was fortunate to have received a text message with my VIN assignment last night! (OD: 8/26 Black/White/20in/No tow). This morning, I called Customer Service and changed from Cash to Finance. Delivery date is already scheduled for day after Christmas. I still have to get through some of the administrative items as well as deal with the anxiety of waiting 12 days, but I do want to take the time to thank everyone on this board for their contributions to get me to this point. Your shared experiences benefited me in more ways than you can imagine......

My advice is if you are planning to charge at home, get your equipment ordered and installed before you take delivery. All i needed was the silly 14-50 pigtail for my mobile charger, which i ordered last friday (expected delivery on Monday the 13th). As of today, the thing still hasn't shipped from Tesla in CA so for the last two days i've had to leave home early to hit up the SC at the Lake Worth toll plaza. Yesterday my commute left me with 18% when i got home from a 90% starting charge.

Thankfully i have a friend with multiple pigtails that I can borrow from to get me by until mine shows up.
Getting tint done this weekend. Seeing triple digit temps inside the car is disconcerting.

My advice is if you are planning to charge at home, get your equipment ordered and installed before you take delivery. All i needed was the silly 14-50 pigtail for my mobile charger, which i ordered last friday (expected delivery on Monday the 13th). As of today, the thing still hasn't shipped from Tesla in CA so for the last two days i've had to leave home early to hit up the SC at the Lake Worth toll plaza. Yesterday my commute left me with 18% when i got home from a 90% starting charge.

Thankfully i have a friend with multiple pigtails that I can borrow from to get me by until mine shows up.
Getting tint done this weekend. Seeing triple digit temps inside the car is disconcerting.
Where are you getting the tint done? What did you take delivery of? 🤨

the issue is when you leave FL - other states can pull you over if your tint is illegal in their state even though you are a Florida resident and give you a fine

VA was brutal - they would pull you over in a second but I think they passed a bill that they no longer can pull you over for minor traffic issues. They went the polar opposite - they cant even pull you over for no headlights at night.
You are so right. That’s why I try to stay somewhat within the legal limits. I don’t do the darkest and it’s either I keep it all even or at least keep the front lighter than the rear although darker than the actual legal limit. I can’t do 30% or 35% on a clear window. It’s nothing. With the Tesla rear windows already dark shaded, adding 30% on it added a little more darkening it most importantly the heat rejection.

You are so right. That’s why I try to stay somewhat within the legal limits. I don’t do the darkest and it’s either I keep it all even or at least keep the front lighter than the rear although darker than the actual legal limit. I can’t do 30% or 35% on a clear window. It’s nothing. With the Tesla rear windows already dark shaded, adding 30% on it added a little more darkening it most importantly the heat rejection.
I have been reading a lot about clear Ceramic window tint - I think thats what I am going to do once the MY gets here. Its more expensive but doesnt tint the windows and has the same properties, some articles say its better than regular tint but I dont really know.

"Carbon fiber tinting is surpassed in performance only by ceramic tint, which blocks more than 99 percent of UV rays. Since they contain no dyes or metal particles, ceramic products will not fade over time or interfere with radio signals.

The ceramic particles do not conduct heat, so they offer the same level of sunlight reflection but with increased insulation. This means it is the most effective tint at keeping out heat from the sun, reducing its impact on the car’s internal temperature by about half.

Like metallic tints, the ceramic layer makes windows more shatter-proof. It has the added benefit of reducing glare without the necessity of a very dark tint. So, you have the luxury of adding a lighter shade to your vehicle, without impacting glare reduction.

Unsurprisingly, ceramic tint is the most expensive of these products. You will pay a premium for the gold-standard of window tinting. "

I have been reading a lot about clear Ceramic window tint - I think thats what I am going to do once the MY gets here. Its more expensive but doesnt tint the windows and has the same properties, some articles say its better than regular tint but I dont really know.

"Carbon fiber tinting is surpassed in performance only by ceramic tint, which blocks more than 99 percent of UV rays. Since they contain no dyes or metal particles, ceramic products will not fade over time or interfere with radio signals.

The ceramic particles do not conduct heat, so they offer the same level of sunlight reflection but with increased insulation. This means it is the most effective tint at keeping out heat from the sun, reducing its impact on the car’s internal temperature by about half.

Like metallic tints, the ceramic layer makes windows more shatter-proof. It has the added benefit of reducing glare without the necessity of a very dark tint. So, you have the luxury of adding a lighter shade to your vehicle, without impacting glare reduction.

Unsurprisingly, ceramic tint is the most expensive of these products. You will pay a premium for the gold-standard of window tinting. "
The Xpel XR Plus everyone’s been talking about is a ceramic film.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vladimir*22
Since this is posted in a Florida model Y waiting room, I assumed that was obvious. Specifically a white/black/tow.

Tint world of west palm.
@FLWookie - You could have ordered a long range or performance.
People like to know when you ordered, what you ordered and options because it seems tesla runs batches of models, colors and options and also for geo areas. By giving all the information people can guesstimate when they might get a VIN.

Reactions: pcmike and voxel
I don't think you can base your delivery date on any sort of delivery evidence right now until after the first of the year when people quite putting their orders on hold or getting cancelled until the tax incentives are available, too much turbulence in the order system.

I've posted on page 72 about my order issues related to trying to close on a new construction house, so my experience isn't very relevant, since my order was placed in May and put on hold/Vin returned several times before actual delivery.

No matter when you order or expect to take delivery, given current shipping times and Tesla's inability to accurately predict shipping dates, getting your charging situation sorted out before delivery is critical to a successful transition to electric driving.

Reactions: voxel